Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU is dead, car is bricked, Tesla is being unforgivably terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk launches new ‘hardcore’ cost-cutting effort, will review all expenses

here is a possible explanation. The company is obviously DESPERATE for cash. No wonder they are trying to squeeze every penny out of everyone. Man, I can't wait to sell my Model S and get out of this mess, at this rate, they might be sold to another company in months..

This also might explain the low quality support I received last night when I called the toll free number 3 separate times and spoke to 3 different agents. All 3 agents came across as new contractors with insufficient knowledge about the Tesla cars. Example, I asked what should be the position of the front air intake flaps adjacent to the fog lights when the car is parked? Open or closed? They had no idea what I was even talking about and one of them called the question as "too technical", forgetting I was calling the technical support line!

They don't need to modify the warranty to charge you if they found no warranty claim. That's the issue. They won't look at the car under warranty. They have to find a problem to make it a warranty claim.
They didn't reproduce the rattles during their test drive of my car, but I told them where the rattles where coming from and just do what they normally do to make door panels and cup holders stop rattling. Whatever they did fixed my problems, but how would they know if they actually fixed anything?

I think they will get their *sugar* figured out and that it's just growing pains, but then again I haven't had any bad experiences except for my fear of upgrading to Version 9.

Can confirm, I am being charged $200 for diagnosing a few rattles. And they didn’t even try hard enough to reproduce all of them. I was also told that Tesla warranty does NOT cover rattles or noises anymore, unless you are the first owner and only for the first year or 12000 miles. Beautiful.

In general, one of the most annoying things about Tesla service is how they try to explain away the problem BEFORE they’ve even tried looking into it. So I will complain about something, and they will then start trying to find reasons why that’s “normal”. And then I have to counter argue and in circles we go. And if you aren’t firm enough, they won’t do crap about the problem.

I am never buying a Tesla again, this company is turning into everything I hate. I regret recommending this car to so many people now. VW had 10x better service experience.

That sucks. The one silverlining to all of this is that the sooner Tesla crashes and burns, the sooner some adults can step in, pick up the (good) pieces and run the company properly. It seems like there's a viable business in there dying to breathe free from the nonsense and insanity.

That sucks. The one silverlining to all of this is that the sooner Tesla crashes and burns, the sooner some adults can step in, pick up the (good) pieces and run the company properly. It seems like there's a viable business in there dying to breathe free from the nonsense and insanity.

Fully, fully agreed on this one. Can Mercedes just please come in and take over?

• Love
Reactions: GreenT
https://electrek.co/2019/05/16/tesla-hardcore-cost-cutting-elon-musk/

here is a possible explanation. The company is obviously DESPERATE for cash. No wonder they are trying to squeeze every penny out of everyone. Man, I can't wait to sell my Model S and get out of this mess, at this rate, they might be sold to another company in months..

Tesla won't be sold at any point. Why would anyone buy them? I don't mean the company is crap, I mean who would be able to utilize their assets to boost their business? Perhaps Rivian. All the big players have their own plans that involve competing against the other big players and possibly their own ICE. If Tesla is ever sold, expect it to be very pocket change so someone can buy up the patents. The business aspects of Tesla are far too foreign to benefit any other company. No one will continue making Tesla cars.

I'm hoping that won't happen and if it does it won't be for a few years, so by then I'll have over 100,000 miles on my car so I'll have some aspect of it amortized.

Im in the UK, I use the Dartford service centre and so far my experience with dealing with them in person or using the Support line has been fantastic. Recently had a mobile service engineer out to change a piece of trim and again, great service. I bought a used 75D 2017 and it had a lot of issues when i first got in it, my fault for not being thorough enough and just excited. I was so disappointing but all of those issues have now been resolved with the exception of my yellow ring! The only bad experience i have had is them trying to charge me £1300 for something that should be under warranty! (new screen)

I have been a Tesla Evangelist long before I had my car as I have had a couple Tesla rentals but would find it difficult to recommend based on a lot of the stories i am reading. I do wonder whether the UK service is slightly better as the Model 3 has yet to be delivered....but thats now only a few weeks away.

Reactions: Mhoepfin
Tesla won't be sold at any point. Why would anyone buy them?

You seem to live in a US bubble: here in Europe many manufacturers are scrambling to make EVs to compete with the Teslas, invariably comparing themselves to Tesla. And we can clearly see that the Koreans (especially Hyundai) and Chinese are very, very interested in getting early access and technology for the EV market. Because everyone knows that the ICE market over here is basically going to go away in the next 10-20 years.

And you can say what you want about the build and paint quality (and the service structure, which is decidedly lean compared to that of the large German manufacturers), but they know how to build batteries, drivetrains and efficient chassis. The Audi E-tron has a nicer door slamming sound, plusher carpets and a much better paint quality (and a typical austere but filled-with-buttons-and-screens interior I don't like), but it ain't a model X. The current market valuation of Tesla is pocket change for many of the larger players.

Heck, In Europe we really can't understand that Ford is literally nowhere with EVs, and why they don't even seem to care.

That's like dipping your toes in the water instead of taking swimming lessons ;-).

I still have a Focus (and used to drive a Mondeo and a and S-Max). I went to see what the Focus EV was all about (since I like the Focus, except for the fact it has an ICE) and it was basically an ICE with the engine ripped out and with a reeeaaaaally small battery, not an EV. If you wanted that kind of range (I didn't) then there were and are much better alternatives.

Ford stopped production in Europe because they were selling roughly 100 of them in Europe.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and SO16