Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Problems in my 2013 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much like an older iPhone, it seems that an older MCU can’t handle the new software downloads. A year ago, the MCU started malfunctioning and when I got into my S I would have to wait for my car to “power up”. It started getting worse and worse to the point that it was taking over 3 min before I could drive. Tesla replaced the MCU at a staggering cost of $3k!! And now with the new MCU it is starting to do it again. I am waiting approx 20 or so seconds but it is still annoying that I cannot just get in my car and go. I feel like my 2013 model S is technically out of date and of course now it is just a commuter car as they have throttled the charging rate back too.
Anyone out there has any suggestions on what to do about the MCU issue?

Much like an older iPhone, it seems that an older MCU can’t handle the new software downloads. A year ago, the MCU started malfunctioning and when I got into my S I would have to wait for my car to “power up”. It started getting worse and worse to the point that it was taking over 3 min before I could drive. Tesla replaced the MCU at a staggering cost of $3k!! And now with the new MCU it is starting to do it again. I am waiting approx 20 or so seconds but it is still annoying that I cannot just get in my car and go. I feel like my 2013 model S is technically out of date and of course now it is just a commuter car as they have throttled the charging rate back too.
Anyone out there has any suggestions on what to do about the MCU issue?

I'd be suprised if your replacement is already going bad. I'd suggest doing a scroll wheel reboot first, to see if that helps.

Replacement mcus have a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty. Get it serviced if it's a real issue. My MCU is dead and it is not fun but mine went slowly. Even without the MCU working fully it only takes 5 seconds to "warm up" and allow gear selection.

I'd be suprised if your replacement is already going bad. I'd suggest doing a scroll wheel reboot first, to see if that helps.
I wouldn't be surprised. Tesla uses refurbs for warranty replacements, and a year ago they had already switched to MCU2 so maybe they did it for his paid replacement too. A functional refurb with a used EMMC chip would have some % of its lifetime already logged to death and they only last 4-5 years depending on how many hours are spend driving, and since it's in warranty still they can replace it with another refurb now, kicking the can down the road again.