Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Upgrade - Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduled a Mobile appointment to do MCU1 to MCU2 on my 17 X. Got a text this morning saying they had pushed it out by a couple of week, moved to the MTL SvC and ordered the specific parts for my car. Sent me an estimate via email. All scheduled for the 21st of July. Anyone done it? How long did it take and how did it go?

Scheduled a Mobile appointment to do MCU1 to MCU2 on my 17 X. Got a text this morning saying they had pushed it out by a couple of week, moved to the MTL SvC and ordered the specific parts for my car. Sent me an estimate via email. All scheduled for the 21st of July. Anyone done it? How long did it take and how did it go?

Mine also got pushed and notified parts had to be ordered. Scheduled for July 15th

Got mine upgraded yesterday. Took Ranger 5 hours in total. I opted to have the screen replaced for an additional $300-ish as the original was yellowing again despite Tesla's UV fix. Total $3510 excluding tax.

Feels like a brand new car again .... although I have noticed the driver side DRL led burnt out (again) .. FML

Please give us your review.. I am waiting to go ahead too.

Mine already has hw3.

So mcu2 only left to be done.

You are on which firmware now?
I am waiting after 2020.20.12(I am at). Checking the stop sign stop.

Thanks

Drove to work this morning, calibration took about 8km of driving (instead of 20km which was advised by Ranger) along stretch of highway before completion and autopilot enabled. Full visualization of traffic lights, cones and directional signs. I'm on firmware 2020.20.1

MCU has snappier frame-rate and no longer do I need to wait for 2 seconds to manual turn on headlights. Still instinctively pausing when I don't really have to lol.

Sentry mode uses all 4 cams and the rear cam image is better than my wife's X LR which is a surprise.

Ranger was able to export all MCU settings (Homelink, seat settings and even Spotify - mid-song !). The only thing I had to do manually was to set up BT to phone.

Confirmed with Tesla that I still have premium connectivity rather than changing to subscription which was a pleasant surprise (I'm sure Tesla could have fleeced me there if they really wanted to)

Haven't toyed around with the arcade games. I have a gaming rig at home. Don't ask me about the Tuner, never once used it since my first Tesla in 2015 till now.

These are the immediate impression I got driving to and fro work, and it does feel like a new car again.

$ well spent. Not many MCU2 silver S kicking about these days (Sept 2018)

Drove to work this morning, calibration took about 8km of driving (instead of 20km which was advised by Ranger) along stretch of highway before completion and autopilot enabled. Full visualization of traffic lights, cones and directional signs. I'm on firmware 2020.20.1

MCU has snappier frame-rate and no longer do I need to wait for 2 seconds to manual turn on headlights. Still instinctively pausing when I don't really have to lol.

Sentry mode uses all 4 cams and the rear cam image is better than my wife's X LR which is a surprise.

Ranger was able to export all MCU settings (Homelink, seat settings and even Spotify - mid-song !). The only thing I had to do manually was to set up BT to phone.

Confirmed with Tesla that I still have premium connectivity rather than changing to subscription which was a pleasant surprise (I'm sure Tesla could have fleeced me there if they really wanted to)

Haven't toyed around with the arcade games. I have a gaming rig at home. Don't ask me about the Tuner, never once used it since my first Tesla in 2015 till now.

These are the immediate impression I got driving to and fro work, and it does feel like a new car again.

Nice so they did all the upgrades in you're driveway/garage then?

One more difference: Wifi & LTE reception is way better, no more dropped signals. FYI MCU1 uses Parrot wifi module, whereas MCU2 uses LG wifi module.

Nice so they did all the upgrades in you're driveway/garage then?

Yes, he did it all in the garage wearing gloves and mask throughout the entire process. Would have been really awkward to hover around him given the current pandemic hence I should watch what he did step by step

He stressed the main limiting factor is the wifi speed. Some jobs took him 8 hours as the customer did not have strong home wifi signal to the car.

Reactions: Vawlkus

Great feedback!! If my car was an AP2 car, I'd be all over this! Upgrading the MCU on an AP1 car seems overkill considering you cannot get all the improved AP functionality.