Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU with Bubbles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that Tesla is also having display issues with some of the MCU2 vehicles, with a yellow border appearing around the edges of the display. The MCU1 vehicles had problems with air bubbles appearing over time; MCU2 appears to have a problem with the adhesive discoloring around the edge of the display.

Tesla is supposed to have a fix for the MCU2 display issues in the pipeline, possibly available mid-2019.

MCU1 replacements should be OK, since Tesla appears to have fixed the air bubble issue. It appears they're delaying fixes for the MCU2 issues until they have the updated displays.

That’s not entirely accurate. I have a MCU1 vehicle in which a new screen was installed around July 2018 because the original screen was oozing a liquid. The replacement screen developed a yellow band around the perimeter and was thus replaced around December 2018.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I think the most frustrating part of this is that I have to pay for what appears to be a faulty MCU. While I understand I’m responsible for everything once the warrranty expired, this feels like it should have been a recalled item.

I have not seen any info on this, but I just had my display replaced for the bubbles. The new display is much brighter colors and a different resolution. 1158 instead of 1200. 2013 S85

Since there are a lot of posts on the yellow banding issue, and the screen is still for the MCU1, I assume, but do not know, this fix makes a completely different screen which may apply to the two completely different issues. I do not know the part number used as I never got any paperwork for it.

Good morning, everyone -

It has taken two years to fully develop, but my beauty is in need of a new MCU. The bubble is starting to interfere with the buttons at the top of the screen. Does anyone know if the new MCU can be retrofitted to a 2013 MS? I have delayed getting it done in hopes that I will receive the new MCU. An help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If the only problem is a bubble, then it is a lot less expensive to just replace the touch screen. I'm assuming you are out of warranty.

you just buy a used touchscreen that doesn't have a bubble from a newer Model S.
I got mine for 500$ (just for the part) and installed it myself.

If you are on warranty then ignore what I said. Maybe you can get them to switch out the whole MCU.