Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Benefits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Nav finds the route before I leave the driveway, not after the third turn.

2. Sentry Mode and Dash Cam record video.

3. Son-in-Law and grandchildren enjoy many more games and streaming video. We share the car with daughter’s family.

4. I’ve stopped worrying about eMMC failure. First signs of impending trouble the week before upgrade.

5. Generally faster screen response, usable web browser.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The benefits are basically faster interaction and a few games + YouTube and Netflix. I've not found navigation to really take that long, even for trips that are close to 200 miles. Maybe the delta becomes more problematic if routing that far, but any trip I take only has legs that are ~200 miles away at the most (and that's as far as the car will go anyway) that I don't see a problem. If I really cared that much about watching YouTube or Netflix, I'd cache the content on my laptop or turn my phone into a hotspot for my laptop to stream that way.

Reactions: dark cloud
1. Nav finds the route before I leave the driveway, not after the third turn.

2. Sentry Mode and Dash Cam record video.

3. Son-in-Law and grandchildren enjoy many more games and streaming video. We share the car with daughter’s family.

4. I’ve stopped worrying about eMMC failure. First signs of impending trouble the week before upgrade.

5. Generally faster screen response, usable web browser.
I shared the same benefits. In addition, the side cameras are available to see on the screen in addition to the rear camera. I'm still using my mirrors as I try to calibrate myself to using the side cameras.

I have a 2017 S and am glad I got the upgrade.

I now have 3.0 (2017 S75/HW3/FSD/MCU1), but I have been told that upgraded sensors/cameras are NECESSARY to use Sentry/Dashcam recording and notifications in addition to the MCU2 upgrade. True??? Not true???
Not true. I have a 2017 S75D. Originally FSD/HW2/MCU1. Upgraded to HW3/MCU2. I now have Sentry/Dashcam recording with notifications. No new cameras needed. Note though that front and side cameras are not full color. (Probably best described as washed out color.) Rear camera is full color. Later cars have full color cameras in all positions.

Personally, I'm holding out for that FM radio!

Meanwhile, my 2016 MS 75D HW3/MCU1 records dash cam and sentry just fine, and provides sentry notifications. What I'm lacking (because of MCU1) is rear camera recording and on-screen review of footage.

Is the fact that I have dash cam and sentry an anomaly? (BTW, I had those before HW3, too.)

I recently upgraded my late 2016 AP1 p90d after the MCU1 failed. They provided a 600$ discount and completed the upgrade within a week. I agree with all benefits, will add audio seems improved, screens are clear, speed of map tradition off freeway is great. AP1 seems more accurate and responsive. To me makes the car feel so much newer overall and I’m a happy camper !

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark