Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Homelink stuck “getting ready to program”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks - recent upgrade to MCU2 - got homelink working fine by programming using my receiver. This week autoclose stopped working so deleted the Homelink settings and started from scratch.. now totally stuck at programming screen and it won’t go into remote learn mode - just keeps kicking back to “before we begin.. here’s what you need to do”..

grrr any ideas? Did reset with steering wheel and still not working. Tried changing transmit mode to D-mode and didn’t work either. I am stumped.

Attachments

• F17AD5DE-C984-4E0F-BE93-8CE23B70C240.jpeg
    F17AD5DE-C984-4E0F-BE93-8CE23B70C240.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 251
So I walked away for 1 hour and came back putting car into my wife’s profile and the programming worker - go figure!

autoopen works perfect every time - auto close got it to go 1/5 times. Anybody know the logic behind autoclose? Does one need to open garage door from homelink first and then reverse out?

I don’t even see the auto close warning come up like I do with auto open. Frustrating

Reviving this ghost as I'm having similar issues, although mine is related to private party purchase. This is my third Tesla (I have an MS and MY), so I'm pretty familiar with the standard processes, and this Homelink programming is always easy.

2017 (late model, July 2018) Model X 100D

Ownership transferred to me on app. Got home, performed a full factory reset, drove around the block to reset the navigation to my location and not California, and then started with profiles/key fobs (another issue with that altogether). Moved to Homelink programming. Parked about 20" from garage door, put it in park, tapped Homelink, then added Home profile. Proceeded to program, but the app grinds through the pop up telling me to wait and that it could take as long as 1 minute. Nothing happens as it's supposed to - tell me to get out with the opener and fire it at the front of the car. The initial pop up goes away, and it's back at the Start programming screen.

So I'm caught in this loop and get get to the next step.

I have a service ticket in for mobile next week because sometimes they can do fixes over the air, or they respond in the app with tricks. Figured I'd use the forum experiences in parallel to speed up the fix options.

Thanks in advance!

Reviving this ghost as I'm having similar issues, although mine is related to private party purchase. This is my third Tesla (I have an MS and MY), so I'm pretty familiar with the standard processes, and this Homelink programming is always easy.

2017 (late model, July 2018) Model X 100D

Ownership transferred to me on app. Got home, performed a full factory reset, drove around the block to reset the navigation to my location and not California, and then started with profiles/key fobs (another issue with that altogether). Moved to Homelink programming. Parked about 20" from garage door, put it in park, tapped Homelink, then added Home profile. Proceeded to program, but the app grinds through the pop up telling me to wait and that it could take as long as 1 minute. Nothing happens as it's supposed to - tell me to get out with the opener and fire it at the front of the car. The initial pop up goes away, and it's back at the Start programming screen.

So I'm caught in this loop and get get to the next step.

I have a service ticket in for mobile next week because sometimes they can do fixes over the air, or they respond in the app with tricks. Figured I'd use the forum experiences in parallel to speed up the fix options.

Thanks in advance!
Let me know what you find out. Mine is still broken, about a year later. I'm assuming upgrading to MCU2 will fix my problems, but I still don't feel like doing that.

Let me know what you find out. Mine is still broken, about a year later. I'm assuming upgrading to MCU2 will fix my problems, but I still don't feel like doing that.
They did some remote investigating today, but no updates yet. Mobile service is Wednesday so I'll report back.

The previous owner said it worked for him just fine, so I am not of the belief it's an MCU1 vs. MCU2 issue. While I still have MCU2 (not for long as I will be setting up another service appointment later next week for the upgrade and to swap half shafts to limit acceleration shudder), at least I have FSD computer and HW3.0, and am in the queue for FSD beta.

Reactions: dbldwn02
They did some remote investigating today, but no updates yet. Mobile service is Wednesday so I'll report back.

The previous owner said it worked for him just fine, so I am not of the belief it's an MCU1 vs. MCU2 issue. While I still have MCU2 (not for long as I will be setting up another service appointment later next week for the upgrade and to swap half shafts to limit acceleration shudder), at least I have FSD computer and HW3.0, and am in the queue for FSD beta.
Wow, there's still a queue for FSD Beta? That's crazy.

Wow, there's still a queue for FSD Beta? That's crazy.
Well the previous owner paid for FSD 4 years ago, had the hardware installed, but never requested Beta through the car. I guess when you're a medical surgeon, dropping $12k and then never using what you paid for isn"t that big of a deal.

Yet with all that $$ he spent, he couldn't swing an extra $1750 for the MCU2...

• Funny
Remote diagnosis revealed a failed Homelink Module, at least per the estimate for service next week (they moved me from mobile service to service center). So $262.30 to have it replaced. Kind of funny $262.30 to pull a unit and install a new one, but to pay for it in the newer cars as an option, it's $350.

Remote diagnosis revealed a failed Homelink Module, at least per the estimate for service next week (they moved me from mobile service to service center). So $262.30 to have it replaced. Kind of funny $262.30 to pull a unit and install a new one, but to pay for it in the newer cars as an option, it's $350.
Not a terrible price. Crappy that you have to bring the car in for that. Hopefully that fixes it. If that's all it is, I'll try buying one on ebay for $40 and give it a shot. Ebay link

Reactions: acoburn73
Not a terrible price. Crappy that you have to bring the car in for that. Hopefully that fixes it. If that's all it is, I'll try buying one on ebay for $40 and give it a shot. Ebay link
Won't work if it's used. Service guy just told me there are some things that once paired/programmed to a car, can't be moved to another car. ebay is full of used Telsa items that simply can't be used if they have already been paired or programmed to a car - key fobs, Homelink modules, and MCUs are in this batch (I'm trying to swap my MCU2 in my MS with the MCU1 in my MX and they just said "nope, can't do it". I even bought a key fob from a guy on ebay this week and he called me to make sure I knew it was NEW and then said used fobs once paired can't be repaired - Tesla will not do it. He went on about those on ebay selling used fobs either knowing they can't be reused, or just ignorant of the fact.

Of course I think this is bologna. Tesla owns the programming and code for all of this hardware and could easily swap and reprogram - they just don't want us running around buying used parts and they don't make $$ on the repairs/upgrades. This is just another Elon Musk way of sucking more $$ out of Tesla owners, and we keep coming back for more!

Last edited: