Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Upgrade and HW3 Upgrade soon to come!

Will you opt in for mcu2 upgrade for 2500?

• yes

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • no

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They replace the screen. MCU is one unit (screen and board).

Interesting, i have MCU 1 and had my screen replaced prior. When that happened it was just the screen. They were able to separate screen from MCU. My understanding is with MCU 2 they will have to replace the instrument cluster but not necessarily the main screen.

Interesting, i have MCU 1 and had my screen replaced prior. When that happened it was just the screen. They were able to separate screen from MCU. My understanding is with MCU 2 they will have to replace the instrument cluster but not necessarily the main screen.

Even for the IC they could have developed a replacement board for it and have you keep the same IC screen.

My 6-yr-old car 2/ 226,000 miles went in for repair around two months ago for a broken cabin heater. The MCU1 was pretty slow to operate already and I was looking forward to an MCU2 at some point... and praying that the MCU1 would hold on until then!

Unfortunately Tesla Service called me to say "your MCU has given up the ghost while we had it in here for service. You'll need to replace it for $2500." I found myself paying for a replacement MCU1. At least they were able to find me a refurbished one for $1800.

And two months later, they make the MCU2 upgrade available. DOH!!!

I will still get it due to the nice profits from my TSLA stock.

Sorry my bad. Thought when you said IC you were referring to the controller powering the main screen.

For MCU1 there’s a separate controller for the instrument cluster.

For MCU2 the instrument cluster is now powered by the same controller that powers the main screen.

For MCU2 upgrades Tesla will replace the main screen since the controller and main screen are one unit.

Reactions: Gt1948
Who said it is a MCU2 upgrade? Not Tesla. They could have custom upgrade kit that is just a logic board. (unlikely as then the tuner would still be compatible.)

I’m talking about what will happen for people who choose to upgrade - which is the main screen will be replaced and the instrument cluster screen remains as is but becomes a dumb terminal driven from the main unit.

I believe this is what this thread is about. But if you want to talk about what could have been possible go ahead....