Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade duration and problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine done in, I want to say, 2020? Was finished in a day but I came back the next afternoon to pick up.

Absolutely no regrets on the upgrade. It felt like a brand new car again due to the improvement in responsiveness. Lost all my old user data but that only hurt the numbers-nerd part of me.

The only negatives I can think of is that some of the USB media related changes between MCU1 and MCU2 were something I had hoped to avoid. I used to keep one of two USB sticks with music plugged in all the time, but on MCU2 that media source would not be active after the car had slept, requiring a full remount and re-scan which took precious seconds away from my standard "I'm running late" commute.

The "solution," which had been implemented when they broke random playback, was just to use Slacker/Tidal/etc 100% of the time instead.

• Helpful
Reactions: pelargir
For those who upgraded to MCU2, how long did it take the SC to complete the job? Have you encountered any problems since upgrading?
My MCU2 upgrade was done on April 24, 2023 while-I-waited at the service center. It took approximately 4 hours. My appointment was at 8 am and I was back on the road by Noon. I haven't had any problems since installation. I have a 2014 Model S 60, pre-auto pilot.

Since this is the most recent MCU2 thread to be posted to, I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows if there will be a MCU3? I understand my 2016 has an 8 year old computer in it, but paying $2250 to upgrade it to a 6 year old computer makes me wonder if they will let us upgrade to something newer.

Since this is the most recent MCU2 thread to be posted to, I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows if there will be a MCU3? I understand my 2016 has an 8 year old computer in it, but paying $2250 to upgrade it to a 6 year old computer makes me wonder if they will let us upgrade to something newer.
There's already been an MCU3 that's been shipping in new cars for quite some time. It's an AMD Ryzen based computer as opposed to the Intel Atom on the MCU2 and Nvidia in the MCU1. Tesla says they have no plans to offer an upgrade to the 3.