Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t believe so. I tried to schedule it via the app a few months ago and was told it was US only for the time being, and would most likely be available later in the year in Europe and the UK. Unfortunately my MCU1 was failing so ended up retrofitting MCU2 from a scrapped car myself (with a lot of help from guys on here) - must say it will be worth the wait, it’s like a new car.

I don’t believe so. I tried to schedule it via the app a few months ago and was told it was US only for the time being, and would most likely be available later in the year in Europe and the UK. Unfortunately my MCU1 was failing so ended up retrofitting MCU2 from a scrapped car myself (with a lot of help from guys on here) - must say it will be worth the wait, it’s like a new car.

Woooo.... could you elaborate a little like where to get a MCU2 and how complex it was?

I got this SMS from my Service Center this morning :)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Guten Tag Herr xxxxxxx,
Neu sind die MCU2 für AP 2.0 und 2.5 verfügbar. Allerdings ist es so, dass bei Fahrzeugen, die bereits das HW 3.0 Retrofit erhalten, dieser Prozess mit der Nachrüstung der MCU2 erst ab Q4 möglich ist. Die Hintergründe und ein Datum im Q4 sind uns nicht bekannt.
Wir bitten um Kenntnisnahme.
Freundliche Grüsse, Tesla Service Basel Möhlin

in english :

Hello Mr. xxxxxxxx,
The MCU2 for AP 2.0 and 2.5 are now available. However, for vehicles that have already received the HW 3.0 retrofit, this process with retrofitting the MCU2 is only possible from Q4. The background and a date in Q4 are not known to us.
Please take note.
Kind regards, Tesla Service Basel Möhlin

Yes, you’d be running AP code that’s considered too resource intensive for HW2.5.
Well, that’s purely speculative and there is no evidence of any difference between AP2.5 and AP3 for Enhanced AP so far...

The fact is, Tesla pushes its AP3 hardware upgrades for free everywhere. There is a reason for this which is not related to a car feature or performance, as it wouldn’t be free... They may use it for training the FSD neural networks. But that purely speculative from my side.