Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Upgrade with FSD (already), what to expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled to update my MCU on Friday. I have put it off for over 1.5 years but finally decided to do it. I plan on keeping my car for a few more years as it is under warranty thru Tesla and new car prices are insane. My question is what can I expect post MCU2 install? I have had FSD with MCU 1 so I already have the stop signs/lights and it stops when AP is engaged. My issue has been being stuck on a 2021 firmware and MCU is slow. I assume outside of MCU being snappy and the apps/games, is there much else I will gain from FSD with MCU2 (outside of new updates)? Thanks in advance.

I am scheduled to update my MCU on Friday. I have put it off for over 1.5 years but finally decided to do it. I plan on keeping my car for a few more years as it is under warranty thru Tesla and new car prices are insane. My question is what can I expect post MCU2 install? I have had FSD with MCU 1 so I already have the stop signs/lights and it stops when AP is engaged. My issue has been being stuck on a 2021 firmware and MCU is slow. I assume outside of MCU being snappy and the apps/games, is there much else I will gain from FSD with MCU2 (outside of new updates)? Thanks in advance.

1) If MCU1 can record video, it might be pixelated (blurry). MCU2 would fix this.
2) If MCU1 can record multiple cameras while MCU2 can display 4 (front, back, 2 sides)
3) If MCU1 can do sonar Auto Park (must have 2 adjacent cars on both sides) but MCU2 can do vision Auto Park (only needs lines with no need for two adjacent cars).
4) MCU2 is required for FSD beta (if you want to take the Safety Score and wait to get into the testers pool).

It's a computer replacement so be warned that your prior settings might be wiped out:

Car's name
Wifi settings (passwords)
HomeLink
A and B Trips
Favorite Locations

and a few more...

****IMPORTANT***: When it's done, make sure you can fully use your app such as keyless drive, lock and unlock not only doors but also frunk and trunk. Sometimes Tesla forgot that.

If you lost those mobile app functions, Tesla can easily restore them over the air with a phone call.

Good luck!

1) If MCU1 can record video, it might be pixelated (blurry). MCU2 would fix this.
2) If MCU1 can record multiple cameras while MCU2 can display 4 (front, back, 2 sides)
3) If MCU1 can do sonar Auto Park (must have 2 adjacent cars on both sides) but MCU2 can do vision Auto Park (only needs lines with no need for two adjacent cars).
4) MCU2 is required for FSD beta (if you want to take the Safety Score and wait to get into the testers pool).

It's a computer replacement so be warned that your prior settings might be wiped out:

Car's name
Wifi settings (passwords)
HomeLink
A and B Trips
Favorite Locations

and a few more...

****IMPORTANT***: When it's done, make sure you can fully use your app such as keyless drive, lock and unlock not only doors but also frunk and trunk. Sometimes Tesla forgot that.

If you lost those mobile app functions, Tesla can easily restore them over the air with a phone call.

Good luck!
thanks, exactly the detail I was looking for. Appreciate the in depth response!

My car is much older than yours so I don't have any of the AP/FSD concerns but I did opt for the additional tuner to maintain FM/XM radio. This proved a little flaky at first with XM dropping out or being completely unavailable at times during the first few weeks. I'm not sure what resolved the problem exactly but I suspect it was something the service folks did remotely over the air after I scheduled a service appointment.

Just something to be on the lookout for if you do that optional upgrade as well.

While they are in there, I'd have them replace the NAV SD card with a new one, maybe 32GB instead of the 16 GB that is installed. Normally they just take out the old one and put it in the replacement MCU. Even if they don't replace it with an endurance SD card, it will likely last another 5+ years, just like the original.

Reactions: N8Howell33
While they are in there, I'd have them replace the NAV SD card with a new one, maybe 32GB instead of the 16 GB that is installed. Normally they just take out the old one and put it in the replacement MCU. Even if they don't replace it with an endurance SD card, it will likely last another 5+ years, just like the original.
I wonder if that is an option, and if so, what the cost is

I scheduled my model S to upgrade the MCU2 because the instrument panel is leaking glue since Feb 2022 and Tesla has been rescheduling it about 8 times so far. Maybe one of these days mine will be replaced 😞
Oh wow, that is terrible. Sorry to hear that. I am getting it tomorrow and hasn't been canceled yet. I am in Oregon so maybe close proximity to Cali helping?

My 2017 model S has everything to get fsd beta version. My computer was upgraded to mcu2 more than a year ago. I have 8 camera config, purchased fsd when bought the car. Just got the emmc card replaced today. Still I don't have the fsd beta version, not even the option to request beta through app. Any idea what's going on? How can I request to get the driving score thing so that I can get fsd beta?

My 2017 model S has everything to get fsd beta version. My computer was upgraded to mcu2 more than a year ago. I have 8 camera config, purchased fsd when bought the car. Just got the emmc card replaced today. Still I don't have the fsd beta version, not even the option to request beta through app. Any idea what's going on? How can I request to get the driving score thing so that I can get fsd beta?
Fellow Oregonian I see. What month was your car manufactured? I know for FSD it has to be Sept 2017 or later or else need camera upgrades. I will be dropping mine off tomorrow at Portland service for MCU2 and have a Sept 2017 model S so I will let you know what updates I get after.

Fellow Oregonian I see. What month was your car manufactured? I know for FSD it has to be Sept 2017 or later or else need camera upgrades. I will be dropping mine off tomorrow at Portland service for MCU2 and have a Sept 2017 model S so I will let you know what updates I get after.
Thanks fellow Oregonian. As I said I have 8 camera configuration, full fsd compatible. I showed my car to the Portland service center personnel. They are puzzled as well as to why I don't even have the option to request beta. Looking forward to your update.

Small update, dropped the car off at Tesla PDX friday at 8:30 am. It has now been 4 days (was told could pick up friday, then saturday, then monday, now Tuesday). Starting to get extremely annoyed with Tesla given this is a 1-2 hour max job.

My last visit was to a SC was like this. I was going to wait for my 30 minute to 1 hour adjustment, since I live 90 minutes away. The SA said it would be tomorrow, and DID give me a loaner. It was 5 days later, and I had to have mobile service come out to complete the work because they failed to install the ordered part. Tesla is swamped, I know. But it seems like it would be better for them to schedule, or reschedule cars when they can actually get to them, rather than having the car sit on the lot for days. It is wasteful and indicates poor organization and management -- Mr. Musk.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
My last visit was to a SC was like this. I was going to wait for my 30 minute to 1 hour adjustment, since I live 90 minutes away. The SA said it would be tomorrow, and DID give me a loaner. It was 5 days later, and I had to have mobile service come out to complete the work because they failed to install the ordered part. Tesla is swamped, I know. But it seems like it would be better for them to schedule, or reschedule cars when they can actually get to them, rather than having the car sit on the lot for days. It is wasteful and indicates poor organization and management -- Mr. Musk.
Wow. Yes they are very short staffed. I ended up getting it back this morning and so far no issues. Only a little bit of scratching on my plastic where they did install but at the rate it takes them to fix things, I am going to let it be. So far.... MCU2 has been good. Will update in a few days of using it as daily driver

Reactions: DerbyDave
Small update, dropped the car off at Tesla PDX friday at 8:30 am. It has now been 4 days (was told could pick up friday, then saturday, then monday, now Tuesday). Starting to get extremely annoyed with Tesla given this is a 1-2 hour max job.
Strange. Do u go to the S Macadam Ave service center? I never had to leave my car at this location more than an overnight. I am happy with their service.

Update. I have now had the car back just under a week and so far it seems better. There have been no resets mid drive and the screen is much more responsive as well as streaming radio stations.
Good for you. I was not having too many blank screens mid drive before. May be every once in a blue moon. So I will not be able to tell about the improvement for quite some time. Haven't seen any blank screen so far though. I was expecting page loading to improve, but it's same annoying as before. For example, when I install an update the window with the updates keeps on loading and never successfully displays the release notes. Same with instruction manual. It doesn't open up fully. When I click on a link it just takes forever to load. Wasn't that supposed to be fixed with the new emmc card?