Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Measuring 0-60 Performance on iPhone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any apps on the iPhone to measure the 0-60 perf of our model 3 that are worth a damn? There is an app called GPS Race Timer but I don't know if it works well. It seems to lag behind the car quite a bit so I don't know if that equals inaccuracy or not.

I have a Garmin eTrax 10 that I used to measure the speed of my watercraft on the water, but they don't measure 0-60 mph or 1/4 mile at all which is unfortunate.

Thanks for any tips anyone may have for me..

I'll have to check it out.. Here is a video I found of that app I mentioned above. I'm going to go reboot my phone and try it out over 5 runs and see what I come up with. Looks like they're comparing it against a more accurate device.

When I get back with my numbers, I'll post back. I want to get this data before I get the next update with the 5% power increase. lol

I want to correct some information in this thread. Not all apps use the GPS in the phone to measure the 0-60 which is obviously not accurate enough.
Teslemetry uses the Tesla data API which updates data at a much higher rate.
The cars GPS also operates at 1Hz, but by monitoring the actual speedo instead of the GPS we can get a pretty accurate 0-60 time.

What I did was to set my iPhone to slo-mo and recorded the speed display. I then counted the frames (240 per second) between the first instance of a non-zero speed and when 60mph showed on the display. Each frame represented 4.1666 milliseconds. I figured that any delay that I would see in the car's display would be the same at 1mph as it would be at 60, so any delay in displaying speed would pretty well cancel out.

And btw, my 400hp Charger clocked in at 5.24 sec and my M3 at 5.14.

What I did was to set my iPhone to slo-mo and recorded the speed display. I then counted the frames (240 per second) between the first instance of a non-zero speed and when 60mph showed on the display. Each frame represented 4.1666 milliseconds. I figured that any delay that I would see in the car's display would be the same at 1mph as it would be at 60, so any delay in displaying speed would pretty well cancel out.

And btw, my 400hp Charger clocked in at 5.24 sec and my M3 at 5.14.

Guessing that's a RWD model 3?