Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mechanical clicking sound when accelerating/coasting below 15mph.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've started noticing there is a mechanical clicking sound when I accelerate and lift off the gas pedal at low speeds. They're not very loud, and I need my windows down in order to hear them. Attaching a short video where you can hear about 1 second in. Does this sound familiar to anyone, I'm hoping it's nothing serious and I don't need to make another appointment for the car just to hear them say it's "within spec".

I notice this on my Y with PUP too. At first is sounded like a rock in my tire. I am wondering the it is the brake disengaging because it does only happen at slow speeds after letting off the accelerator where regen kicked in or from a stop.

I notice this on my Y with PUP too. At first is sounded like a rock in my tire. I am wondering the it is the brake disengaging because it does only happen at slow speeds after letting off the accelerator where regen kicked in or from a stop.
Yeah sounds like we might have the same issue. Do you still hear it or did it go away eventually?

I had the same issue on my MY Performance. I pointed it out at my first service appointment and they added additional grease somewhere in the rear axles. I know they removed both rear tires to do it, but not the front. Apparently this is common and an easy fix. I don't think there's much harm in not fixing it and I have a suspicion that my issue will likely return as grease doesn't seem like a permanent solution.

We have a similar sound on our S. It appeared at around 100k miles. The SC "cleaned and lubricated rear axle splines." The problem went away for a while then it returned 2,000 miles later. We had them look at the car again and this time the SC proclaimed that the "vehicle is operating as designed; no need for repairs at this time."

So, there you have it. Tesla's (at least Model S's) are designed to start clicking like that at 100k miles so relax, it's what we paid for. :confused: