Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media App Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcadman22

Tesla Owners Club Maryland
Apr 21, 2012
Wheaton, MD
Tesla removed the input selector in one of the recent 7.1 variants. Tesla chose to remove the button I (used to) use EVERY day to switch between Bluetooth, Slacker, radio, etc., yet the set it and forget it audio button remains. I'm sure we could live with moving the audio button to the settings menu but the outright removal of features is truly galling. Please post if you use this feature too; hoping it was just an oversight that will come back in another update.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
The right scroll wheel is the only practical way to change source. Using the touchscreen to select some of the sources requires considerably more user interactions to select the specific item since the touch screen interface doesn't seem to first display the last selected item for a specific source.

the button I (used to) use EVERY day to switch between Bluetooth, Slacker, radio, etc., yet the set it and forget it audio button remains. I'm sure we could live with moving the audio button to the settings menu

What button was this?

I guess I didn't use the shortcut for input selection from the steering wheel.. so don't miss what I didn't use. Or maybe I did. Is this kind of thing the shortcut being talked about:

I did discover something accidentally today, that may have always been there for all I know.... (I'm now on 2.12.126)

I have the left wheel set to use the media app.

While listening to the FM radio, I normally tap the << button or the >> button (on the left side of steering wheel) to jump to next radio station in that direction.

I found that if you hold the << or the >> button for longer than a "tap", the media abandons radio altogether and jumps to using Slacker... so now slacker is playing. I discovered it's playing from my Favorites list in Slacker. If I hold the << or the >> button down again, it jumps up or down the Favorite list to the next Favorite. And short taps on the >> button advance to next song on that Slacker channel. Tapping the << button in Slacker mode does nothing, as usual. As far as I know and tried, the only way to get Radio back is to use center console selector.

All my Favorites happen to be Slacker channels. Maybe if I add a Favorite that is not Slacker... then that media source will come up when I hold the << or >> button and land on that favorite. (??)

Like I said, this may only be a new discovery FOR ME.. who doesn't read user manuals in detail. Anyway I was delighted to have learned a new feature today even if it had been there all along.

And I thought it was related to a thread talking about input selection, since it's a clearly a way to change source without having to use center console.

Last edited:
What button was this?

I don't have a convenient picture of the button, but it was in the uppermost right corner of the media app. Habit had me touch the uppermost right button on the center screen only to have the audio settings pop up - quite annoying after accidentally tapping the button 2-3 times. My configuration is like Bob_P's where the right scroll wheel is mapped to the panoramic roof.

Before the recent release - there were two ways to quickly select the media source. Using the Media Select on the right scroll wheel - and a button on the Media window in the upper right of that window, allowing you to select a specific source.

We still have the scroll wheel button - but by removing the source selection button on the display, passengers can no longer quickly change sources. It requires a lot more user interface interactions to change source.

Was this an unintentional bug - they didn't intend to remove the button, and due to other software changes the button disappeared? Or was this really planned? And if so, what improvement was made by eliminating this useful feature?

It's changes like this - and the movement of the time & date - that are really puzzling... What benefit was there in making these basic changes to the user interface?

... Was this an unintentional bug - they didn't intend to remove the button, and due to other software changes the button disappeared? Or was this really planned? And if so, what improvement was made by eliminating this useful feature? ...

I think someone mentioned elsewhere that for European models, they enabled a new music streaming service (Spotify?), by simply overlaying the Android app on the touch screen interface which somehow prevented the source selection button to be functional throughout. I am not sure I understood the exact reason myself, but I can see how taking one such shortcut could lead to another - remove the button.

That's possible - but still something that should have been caught during beta testing (like the date/time displays).

Maybe Tesla should take some of the CPO inventory and give those cars to the software developers. If they drive the cars every day (including the classic cars), perhaps some of the obvious issues would be fixed earlier - if they were actually using the cars each day...

By driving the cars (especially some of the "classic" cars), surely they would have a better appreciation about the impact of some of these changes...

... Maybe Tesla should take some of the CPO inventory and give those cars to the software developers. If they drive the cars every day (including the classic cars), perhaps some of the obvious issues would be fixed earlier - if they were actually using the cars each day...

By driving the cars (especially some of the "classic" cars), surely they would have a better appreciation about the impact of some of these changes...

I heard from an unreliable source that they do get to pick a car any day and take it out for a drive.

I miss the source icon as well.

For now, I just use the clock icon on the left side of the player, (photo attached for reference) which shows the most recently-used media sources. That way, I can keep the right scroll button to adjust the temperature.

IMG_4199.jpg

You can have the right scroll button configured to support several functions and doing an extra click and a thumb roll to scroll down to the media select (at the bottom of the list) isn't too bad - plus it's easier to look at that on the dashboard than having to reach over to the touchscreen and locate any of those soft buttons.

Still, Tesla should put the source select button back on the user interface. There's plenty of screen real estate available... Plus, Tesla should be doing more to reduce the interactions required on the touchscreen to do typical functions.

Tesla removed the input selector in one of the recent 7.1 variants. Tesla chose to remove the button I (used to) use EVERY day to switch between Bluetooth, Slacker, radio, etc., yet the set it and forget it audio button remains. I'm sure we could live with moving the audio button to the settings menu but the outright removal of features is truly galling. Please post if you use this feature too; hoping it was just an oversight that will come back in another update.
it's even worse they took audio source selection out of the scroll wheel in v8. Now you get to take your eyes off the road when changing audio sources. Awesome job Tesla!