Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Memorial Day SuperCharger utilization to be saturated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect many of the US SuperChargers will see very high usage this Memorial Day weekend (Friday & Monday being the worst).
Unfortunately there are no battery swap station options yet, so the "fast or free" option Elon coined will very likely turn out to be "slow and free" for many road-trippers.

Just a friendly reminder to be courteous to your fellow Model S drivers, & if there are long waits to access the chargers, please only charge as much as you need to get to your next destination :)

Perhaps people can update to this thread when & where there are long waits for SC access?

I'd say Newark, DE will be a bottleneck for anyone traveling through that area. I've been through there about 8 times in the past few months and all except once was there no other Model S there at some point with me. Only 4 stalls.

Although, I suppose with Woodbridge, VA and Hamilton, NJ, Newark, DE could be skipped in an 85 (~200 miles between those two). So far I try to skip Newark, DE when returning home from the south after range charging at Glen Allen, VA. 235 miles from there to home, and I've been able to skip DE on over half of my trips so far.

I'd say Newark, DE will be a bottleneck for anyone traveling through that area. I've been through there about 8 times in the past few months and all except once was there no other Model S there at some point with me. Only 4 stalls.

Although, I suppose with Woodbridge, VA and Hamilton, NJ, Newark, DE could be skipped in an 85 (~200 miles between those two). So far I try to skip Newark, DE when returning home from the south after range charging at Glen Allen, VA. 235 miles from there to home, and I've been able to skip DE on over half of my trips so far.

Saturday morning use at Newark has been pretty light; I've been able to charge at 8am without any problem. Coming through at 8pm on Saturday evenings, has seen full use of the bays. Not looking forward to what it will be on the last day of a holiday weekend. Won't be traveling this weekend but 4th of July will be interesting.

I think the only problems will be on the heavily traveled coastal routes such as I-5 and 101 in California...

I've done the whole country now (almost 10K) in Utah...

I went many many a charge without seeing another Tesla.

I'm delaying entering CA though until Tuesday likely ... both to avoid a ton of cars but also to avoid waiting for a supercharger.

Any reports from the field on supercharger wait times?

-m

Harris Ranch was full around 2pm on Monday, wait time didn't seem too bad though. (Harris Ranch only has 6 of its 7 chargers functional)
Tejon Ranch wasn't 100% utilized on Saturday nor Monday while I was there, though both times I only got 60-90kW when they're supposedly 120 capable. Fairly surprising actually...

Tejon Ranch wasn't 100% utilized on Saturday nor Monday while I was there, though both times I only got 60-90kW when they're supposedly 120 capable. Fairly surprising actually...
The standard question when someone posts a comment like this-- were you parked at a bay where the same number of the pair was occupied, or one where the other bay matching that number was empty?

The standard question when someone posts a comment like this-- were you parked at a bay where the same number of the pair was occupied, or one where the other bay matching that number was empty?
The 60kw was when there was a car on adjacent charge share bay (expected). Only got 90kw on a non-shared adjacent charge bay at low (20%) state of charge (unexpected). Got 120kw at Harris Ranch.