Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Memory stick "max" of 32GB to store video???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My video storage has worked fine for months using a PNY 64GB usb memory stick. About 2 weeks ago, for reasons unknown, my video storage icon came up with a gray x in the upper right of the icon. The green dot was no more. Touching the icon does nothing. I deleted the files that had been stored, still won't work. Today, I finally called Tesla and the tech responded that the max size usb stick can be no more than 32GB.

I'm no tech genius for sure, but that seems illogical to me that it worked before, doesn't now, and the solve is to go buy a smaller memory stick.

Any thoughts or recos out there before I buy a 32gb stick to try it?

thanks

That's probably because the supported tools don't go above 32gb. But it can. Like most corporations and bureaucracies, they're not going to tell you there are ways to make things work, they'll stick to the supported processes. Up to 2TB is, I think, the maximum using 3rd party tools.

Edit: I have a 500gb SSD split into two partitions, with 128gb for TeslaCam. Higher storage needed for Sentry, IMHO, since I don't want to clean it out often, and I have a heavy USB media volume. So it definitely works.

I have a 256gb SSD in mine and I use my macbook to create the FAT partition. In Windows the maximum size for a FAT partition is 32gb, which is probably what the tech was referring to.

In my opinion, USB thumb drives aren't ideal for this application. The SSD that I'm using is a Samsung 860 EVO and it's a far more robust drive and the operating temperature is 0 - 70 ℃ which works for my climate anyway (Texas).

Reactions: RScottyL
I have a 256gb SSD in mine and I use my macbook to create the FAT partition. In Windows the maximum size for a FAT partition is 32gb, which is probably what the tech was referring to.

In my opinion, USB thumb drives aren't ideal for this application. The SSD that I'm using is a Samsung 860 EVO and it's a far more robust drive and the operating temperature is 0 - 70 ℃ which works for my climate anyway (Texas).

SSD is fine, but a bit overkill. Using an old SanDisk 128Gb Thumb drive is working fine for me.

For the record (can't edit my post) the point is that FAT32 supports more than 32gb and your choice to use whatever is entirely your own and this can easily become a long, drawn out debate into what is better for you / more efficient / better supported, etc. There shouldn't be any risk for using any drive you wish; FAT32 supports up to 2TB (even if Tesla technicians do not support it for having to stick to established, supported products released across all operating systems).

My video storage has worked fine for months using a PNY 64GB usb memory stick. About 2 weeks ago, for reasons unknown, my video storage icon came up with a gray x in the upper right of the icon. The green dot was no more. Touching the icon does nothing. I deleted the files that had been stored, still won't work. Today, I finally called Tesla and the tech responded that the max size usb stick can be no more than 32GB.

I'm no tech genius for sure, but that seems illogical to me that it worked before, doesn't now, and the solve is to go buy a smaller memory stick.

thanks

The technician probably saw Windows' arbitrary 32 GB limit on FAT32 and misunderstood something.

I bought a 480 GB rugged SSD from Amazon for like $60 and split it down the middle for music and TeslaCam, and it has worked flawlessly so far with that 240 GB partition.

It's much more likely that your stick got corrupted in an unplugging or shutdown than that it has anything to do with size.

thanks
The car does a lousy job of handling the USB stick. You can't properly unmount it, so it's just a matter of time before it gets corrupted, which is probably what happened to you. It may also simply be full. Plug your drive into your PC and try to repair the filesystem and delete unneeded files. If that doesn't doesn't work, then you'll have to reformat. If you're using Windows, you'll have to download a third party utility to do the formatting because the Windows one will refuse to format a partition larger than 32GB with FAT32.

How to Format a Large Hard Drive With FAT or FAT32

P.S. Is there any way we can stop hijacking every thread about Sentry mode with the endless debate about whether SSD or USB stick or SD Card is the best choice?

Reactions: C141medic
In Windows the maximum size for a FAT partition is 32gb

WIndows fully supports file operations on any existing FAT32 partition up to 2TB in size. However, modern versions of Windows will not format a new FAT32 partition above 32GB. The point of this restriction is to discourage people from using the FAT32 file system and instead encourage them to use NTFS.

Many other devices are still required to use the FAT32 file system, so to work-around the formatting restriction, there are several 3rd-party tools for Windows that can format FAT32 partitions up to the full 2TB.