Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Benz B-Class Electric Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've changed my mind and now agree with you. Daimler / Mercedes will include the 33.2kWh usable simply by pushing the charge override switch, bypassing the "normal" 80% charge.

That appears to be the case, as near as I can tell from reading the reviews. It seems that the "charge override" capability comes standard, correct? It is an odd way to allow the owner to utilize the full capacity of the battery.

So this B Class ED seems to be the EV with the greatest range (now that the RAV4 is no longer in production) other than the Model S.

I wish the styling was a bit more exciting.

"B-Class buyers can also purchase a "Range Plus" system as an added option, which can add 14+ miles to the car's range by allowing the battery to charge 15 percent beyond its normal capacity. Basically, the system exists to give people an extra little cushion when they're planning on driving a bit outside of the car's normal confines. Owners can engage the system while charging the night before and then have a few more miles at their disposal. Of course, doing so comes at the cost of the battery's health and owners are advised to use the system sparingly. The car will not track how often one charges in this manner, and, thus, B-Class Electric Drive owners aren't at risk of voiding the warranty by using it."

From 2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive - Autoblog

So this B Class ED seems to be the EV with the greatest range (now that the RAV4 is no longer in production) other than the Model S.
RAV4 EV production is ongoing. They still have about 1,000 of the 2,600 unit run to sell. If you want to pick on the RAV, complain about how Toyota won't sell it outside California and tries their best to scare people out of taking them out of state.

I'm REALLY interested in the B-Class EV. To me, it's more useful than an i3, much cheaper than a Tesla, and better battery tech than the Leaf, which hopefully decreases winter range loss and battery degradation. I sat in the gas B-Class and was very impressed with the space, headroom, and quality of the non-leather seating. Really hoping the magic 15% unlock is a fact. In the dead of winter I need to drive 45km, park outside with no charging for 12 hours, and then drive 45km back home again.

Mercedes B-Class Electric (TESLA drivetrain)

RAV4 EV production is ongoing. They still have about 1,000 of the 2,600 unit run to sell. If you want to pick on the RAV, complain about how Toyota won't sell it outside California and tries their best to scare people out of taking them out of state.

Okay, my mistake. But I have complained about how Toyota fails to promote the vehicle. Of course it is a compliance car and Toyota really doesn't care about it. Since the company isn't committed to it and has stated they won't make any more, it feels "out of production" to me.

I'm REALLY interested in the B-Class EV. To me, it's more useful than an i3, much cheaper than a Tesla, and better battery tech than the Leaf, which hopefully decreases winter range loss and battery degradation. I sat in the gas B-Class and was very impressed with the space, headroom, and quality of the non-leather seating.

I haven't sat on one yet because MB hasn't made them available quite yet on California.

I suggest that you also keep the VW e-Golf in mind. It will be available in some US states late this year or early next year and VW says it will be available nationwide eventually. It is claimed to have a range of about 115 miles.

I haven't sat on one yet because MB hasn't made them available quite yet on California.

I suggest that you also keep the VW e-Golf in mind. It will be available in some US states late this year or early next year and VW says it will be available nationwide eventually. It is claimed to have a range of about 115 miles.

I'm in Canada so we have had the gas B Class for a while now. Not sure why the US never got it, its a great car. There was something about the eGolf I didn't like but I can't remember. Is the battery just air cooled like the Leaf? What was battery size? I like that the MB B Class EV uses Tesla battery and drive train and that they are going with a bit bigger battery.

So this B Class ED seems to be the EV with the greatest range (now that the RAV4 is no longer in production)...

The Rav4 EV is absolutely in production, until the 2600 are built (that was announced in 2010). They have about 1000 to go.

I might announce the death of the B-Class ED also, because there is no way that Daimler is going to pump out many more than they have to over a set period of time.

What's a key difference is that Toyota was subject to CARB-ZEV in 2012, and Daimler not until 2015. Other than that, not a lot of differences between the two programs.

Somebody can spare me in advance if I don't lap up every media release suggesting they are going to sell the B-Class AED "everywhere". What they will actually do is sell it in regulatory markets and home country to compete in spirit with BMW.

They didn't even bother with the Frankenplug outlet that GM and German auto makers "had to have".

Mercedes B-Class Electric (TESLA drivetrain)

At the rate that Toyota is selling the RAV4 EV it is going to take them several years to sell another 1,000.

I think that MB will be serious about selling the B Class ED because I expect that the i3 will be a moderate success and MB is going to want to stay in the game. Their connection to Tesla makes it easier for them to develop a modest EV line for less money than BMW is investing. If as some anticipate BMW comes out with an "i5" model (larger sedan and larger battery) in a few years MB will be ready to compete with that.

Right now I am liking the B Class ED more than the i3 as a possible "second EV" because it has a Tesla powertrain, probably longer EV range, and it looks decent if a bit bland. I think it is a serious car, I just wish it had a 30% bigger battery as that would make it more useful and that it was a bit sleeker styling.

Last edited:
At the rate that Toyota is selling the RAV4 EV it is going to take them several years to sell another 1,000.
Actually, if they continue at the 2014 YTD average sales rate, the 1,000 units will be gone before the hydrogen car hits showrooms around September 2015. I'm sure in Toyota's warped mind, the EV should be gone before the FCEV arrives, so as not to be a direct comparison.

Does anyone know if MB is planning on selling this car in all 50 states, or is it simply a compliance car for CA only?

Just like the GM Chevy Spark EV, the manufacturer is promising to sell it "everywhere". Where did GM actually sell them? Oregon and California, two CARB-ZEV states.

Where will this car be sold? I ABSOLUTELY guarantee it will be sold in at least some, if not all CARB-ZEV states. I seriously doubt many sales will be allowed outside those markets. They will likely sell in their home country, too.

CARB-ZEV states - California, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont

Does anyone know if MB is planning on selling this car in all 50 states, or is it simply a compliance car for CA only?
MB says they plan to do a nationwide, but that can always change (I think it depends on how the sales and production volume is doing). Obviously they will focus on ZEV states first. If they have enough already to satisfy ZEV requirements, then obviously they would be happy to sell elsewhere.

The "launch" states for the B-Class are: CA, CT, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, RI and VT.
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-B/bodystyle-EDV

MB says they plan to do a nationwide, but that can always change (I think it depends on how the sales and production volume is doing). Obviously they will focus on ZEV states first. If they have enough already to satisfy ZEV requirements, then obviously they would be happy to sell elsewhere.

The "launch" states for the B-Class are: CA, CT, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, RI and VT.
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-B/bodystyle-EDV

I saw the website before but did not notice the fine print on the bottom stating availability. Thanks.

Daimler has invested significantly in EVs, but doesn't have that much revenue to show for it. (ie their own li ion battery factory, 3 phase, Mennekes charging standard, Tesla staying alive)
The B class EV will likely follow generally follow the roll-out of Smart ED, Our Conversation With Smart Boss: Electric Drive A Hit In US, Consumers Love Renting Batteries, And Future Plans | Inside EVs for the US it will start with CARB-ZEV states + a few others, before rolling out further.
Its not a compliance car in the CARB sense of the word (although it is used for that), it is a car that is used to get the Mercedes fleet CO2 down in countries where that is required.
USA, EU etc

Its probably also the car that debuts significant amount of Tesla model X drivetrain tech. They would be wise to limit the initial rollout to Germany/ CARB states and increase it from their as their confidence improves.