Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Benz B-Class Electric Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Say what?
MB-B uses X drivetrain tech?
Highly doubtful - I'm not sure where renim got this idea. If anything, the drive train would resemble the Toyota RAV4 EV as it's a similar conversion of an existing gas model. It's front-wheel drive, not dual motor all-wheel drive, nor is the performance anywhere near what a Tesla offers due to the smaller battery size. There's no reason it would need to use anything but a tried and true system.

Highly doubtful - I'm not sure where renim got this idea. If anything, the drive train would resemble the Toyota RAV4 EV as it's a similar conversion of an existing gas model. It's front-wheel drive, not dual motor all-wheel drive, nor is the performance anywhere near what a Tesla offers due to the smaller battery size. There's no reason it would need to use anything but a tried and true system.
The main difference between the RAV4 EV "conversion" and the B-Class ED is that the BCED started production in 2014, not 2012. The RAV4 EV shares a lot of the early teething problems with the Model S in the Drive Unit. Things like inverter failures and excessive noise from the drive unit are common between the RAV4 EV and early Model S cars. The B-Class ED should incorporate whatever improvements Tesla has made to the drive unit along the way.

A video with parts of the production process of the MB B-Class ED:

Does anyone want to venture a guess what that space to the right of the charge socket will be used for? It doesn't make sense to add a DC fast charge socket there or it would be combined with the AC socket. (@ 1:32)

Last edited by a moderator:
A video with parts of the production process of the MB B-Class ED:

Does anyone want to venture a guess what that space to the right of the charge socket will be used for? It doesn't make sense to add a DC fast charge socket there or it would be combined with the AC socket. (@ 1:32)

Now what's the range again? That is some brilliant marketing there, wunderbahr.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't expect the Model X to use 2 x Model S motors, but rather approximate to 2 x 1/2 size Model S motors.

My conjecture is that the FWD of MB-B is closely related to the front wheel axle of the Model X

Furthermore, my next conjecture is that the RWD of Gen3 is closely related to the read wheel axle of the Model X

I don't expect MB to be cramming a Tesla Model S motor into the B klasse.

Its not a compliance car in the CARB sense of the word (although it is used for that), it is a car that is used to get the Mercedes fleet CO2 down in countries where that is required.
USA, EU etc

Its probably also the car that debuts significant amount of Tesla model X drivetrain tech. They would be wise to limit the initial rollout to Germany/ CARB states and increase it from their as their confidence improves.

Yes, Daimler / Mercedes pays huge money to the US Government for not meeting CAFE (fuel mileage) standards, so this car plugs another regulatory (and cash intensive) hole with EPA.

No way is Daimler using Tesla Model X stuff. It will be the the same charger, DC to DC, motor and inverter on Rav4 EV. The battery is my only real question; which 18650 cell? The Toyota battery is 860 pounds (391kg) for 45kWh total, or 19 pounds (8.6kg) per kWh. The far smaller B-Class chassis might be a bit more weight sensitive, which may require higher density cells.

Mercedes had several extra years to watch the price of the cells fall, so it is likely to use the same 3100ma cells that are in the Model S currently.

I don't expect the Model X to use 2 x Model S motors, but rather approximate to 2 x 1/2 size Model S motors.
The Model X diagram shows a full sized motor in the rear and a smaller one in the front (from the unveil, the front motor has half the torque, but is not necessarily half the size). It's unlikely to be a small motor for both wheels given what we know so far (the same motor in the rear allows commonality with the Model S).

My conjecture is that the FWD of MB-B is closely related to the front wheel axle of the Model X
It is just as likely it's a tweaked version of the same motor as the RAV4 EV (which is FWD, in case that is not clear). 115kW, 273 lb-ft for RAV4 EV. 132 kW, 251 lb-ft for B-Class (in 2013 it was 100kW and 228 lb-ft).

And, I thought NJ might be a CARB state...

I stumbled across NJDEP Climate and Environmental Management.

CARB states - Arizona, California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, District of Columbia.

CARB-ZEV "coalition" states - California, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont

NYT article on B-class. "Electric, but Not Bragging About It"

this bit sounded interesting:
This pedal-paddle game is fun for E.V. loyalists, but Mercedes drivers will probably prefer something more seamless like the car’s D-Auto mode. In D-Auto, the car’s radar sensors, mostly there for a collision-warning system, are enlisted to automatically set the level of regenerative braking on the fly. The radar locks onto the car ahead, and the precise amount of braking is then dialed in to maximize the amount of energy reclaimed, all the while working something like adaptive cruise control to regulate the car’s speed.

TIt is just as likely it's a tweaked version of the same motor as the RAV4 EV (which is FWD, in case that is not clear). 115kW, 273 lb-ft for RAV4 EV. 132 kW, 251 lb-ft for B-Class (in 2013 it was 100kW and 228 lb-ft).
I thought the RAV4EV uses a "detuned" Model S motor... Perhaps because it was the only thing in real production at the time.

I thought the RAV4EV uses a "detuned" Model S motor... Perhaps because it was the only thing in real production at the time.

I doubt there's anything different with the Rav4 EV motor from a standard Model S. My first Rav4 EV originally had Tesla serial number 331 motor (it has been replaced under warranty). My motor was likely delivered to Toyota around May/June of 2012... at exactly the same time the very first Model S motors were getting ready for assembly.

My car is the 134th production Toyota with Tesla drivetrain. 2600 total will be built, and 1700 have already been sold.

It is at least conceivable that Mercedes B-Class ED uses the physically smaller front motor for Model S/X with AWD.

Well...I don't understand Mercedes reasoning, why charge extra for the ability to add 17 miles or so to the max range of the car? What additional cost does Mercedes incur in making an 17% of additional range available? The MB website states: "includes added insulation of the doors and roof for to increase climate-control efficiency, along with an electrically heated windshield and a range-extending charge function."

So there is some small cost for door insulation and an electric windshield. But what exactly does MB do, if anything, to the battery? I suspect nothing changes regarding the battery and charging system.

Imagine if Tesla offered a Model S with a standard range of say, 200 miles but for an extra $2,000 the car would go 18% farther, or 236 miles. Pretty much everyone would pay that.

Give the $43,000 base price of the B Class EV why ask people to pay a few hundred dollars for 15 additional miles of range? It should be standard! And the nthe car could be advertised as having a 100 mile range.

Well...I don't understand Mercedes reasoning, why charge extra for the ability to add 17 miles or so to the max range of the car? What additional cost does Mercedes incur in making an 17% of additional range available? The MB website states: "includes added insulation of the doors and roof for to increase climate-control efficiency, along with an electrically heated windshield and a range-extending charge function."

So there is some small cost for door insulation and an electric windshield. But what exactly does MB do, if anything, to the battery? I suspect nothing changes regarding the battery and charging system.

Imagine if Tesla offered a Model S with a standard range of say, 200 miles but for an extra $2,000 the car would go 18% farther, or 236 miles. Pretty much everyone would pay that.

Give the $43,000 base price of the B Class EV why ask people to pay a few hundred dollars for 15 additional miles of range? It should be standard! And the nthe car could be advertised as having a 100 mile range.

Agreed that this stuff should just be included and the base price be $600 higher. But, at least it's only $600. No-brainer add-on for any lease/purchase unless you live in warm climate and never driver more than 50-60 miles in a day.