Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes C300 or Model 3 for Son?

Model 3 vs C300 Mercedes

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think these organisations should add some scoring of how likely the vehicle will be in an accident.

If you look at the complaints at NHTSA. Model 3 has numerous complaints which can cause an accident itself. Autopilot bugs. Car shuts off while driving. Suspension broke. Unintended acceleration. And so on.

If you aren't aware, NHTSA's complaint postings are largely false and fabricated. They do not have a way to validate postings therefore anybody can post anything, and they have been caught doing so.

Tesla report shows most negative NHTSA complaints are ‘fake’ and a tactic from ‘detractors’

People continue to try and blame the autopilot for this and that. Yet where's the outrage when this country sees over 100 car accident deaths per day, and over 17,000 car accidents each and every day. Sorry but accidents happen, and when they do, you are better in a Model 3 than most any other cars out there.

I drove a 2015 C300 for 3 years, loved that car. now driving the model 3 and let me tell you, there is no comparison. Smoother drive, better tech, so much more enjoyable experience. Oh and I had to take the brand new C300 in for maintenance multiple times for minor screen issues, vent problems, warning lights. Out of the 50k ICE cars C300 had the best feel and comfort, based on test drives, but M3 wins on every level.

If you aren't aware, NHTSA's complaint postings are largely false and fabricated. They do not have a way to validate postings therefore anybody can post anything, and they have been caught doing so.

Tesla report shows most negative NHTSA complaints are ‘fake’ and a tactic from ‘detractors’

People continue to try and blame the autopilot for this and that. Yet where's the outrage when this country sees over 100 car accident deaths per day, and over 17,000 car accidents each and every day. Sorry but accidents happen, and when they do, you are better in a Model 3 than most any other cars out there.

Many of those appeared here on the forum as well. I read vehicle shut down while driving in multiple posts. Same for autopilot bugs.

Accidents that are caused by untested software is unacceptable in my view.

Accidents that are caused by untested software is unacceptable in my view.

No accidents are acceptable to me due to negligence, but do you somehow think that other automaker's driver assist systems do not create issues on the road? Especially when they do not function nearly as well as Model 3's autopilot system? You have a bias against the Tesla, no problem, many posters on this forum do. But do not view driver assist issues as a Tesla-only problem.

I would argue Tesla's driver assist systems prevent accidents more than create, provided that the divers do not abuse the system and use them properly. For cause of accidents, people need to look no further than the mirror. We humans err, we are the problems. Over 17,000 car accidents per day and they were rising rapidly before Model 3 even came out.

Last edited:
Did OP state who was at fault? Seems assumptions were made that it was his sons fault?

In any case, no matter how safe a car is, you can find a bigger idiot to push it past the breaking point.

Teen was driving 116 mph seconds before fiery crash that killed him and friend, NTSB says

Only @Ghosty knows what would be suitable for his son. Though a Mercedes has roughly the same potential for being stupid as a Model 3 so maybe a speed limited Model 3 with parental tracking might be the better bet.

No one knows how safe a Tesla really is is under the crash rating system. It tops out at 5 stars.

Reactions: Ghosty
Get them a used Nissan Leaf. WAY cheaper, more reliable, keeps them from going too far from home, and slightly less likely to be driven like madman. IMHO a Model 3 is way too much car for a teenager.

No way! The OP is in Las Vegas, so a Leaf battery wouldn't last more than 2-3 years. I say this from experience. Worst car purchase ever.
IMO, the SR Model 3 is an excellent choice, waiting for one for my wife. Safe, quick, good range, and beautiful to boot.

No way! The OP is in Las Vegas, so a Leaf battery wouldn't last more than 2-3 years. I say this from experience. Worst car purchase ever.
IMO, the SR Model 3 is an excellent choice, waiting for one for my wife. Safe, quick, good range, and beautiful to boot.

I would highly highly suggest the current MR due to Tesla being able to get it to you by end of year.

Who knows when the SR is going to come out and you give up a lot in ammentities.

I vote neither. I don't know how old your son is, but I'm going to assume teenager or early 20's since he lives with you. I don't think a car as fast as an M3 or C300 is appropriate for a kid. Too much male hormones and too much power is BAD combo. I think a Leaf would be far more appropriate (and a lot cheaper) for him. I know the M3 is supposed to be the safest car in a wreck, but realistically a car that has less chance of even getting into an accident due to crazy driving is probably safer % wise. I remember when I was a kid (and my brothers) and it's a damn good thing we only got less than 100 HP hand me downs from our parents. My first car was a hand me down Audi 60. It handled well, but it certainly wasn't fast. My opinion is that you have to work up to fast car. I've owned a Datsun B210, CRX, Talon Tsi, Prelude, G35 Coupe, Leaf and now the M3 LR RWD. With exception of the Leaf each one was a little faster than the previous car. Looking back I'm glad that's how it went because I was a wild man in my teens and twenties. I probably would have hurt myself or someone else if I had a car like M3 back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: alloverx
I think the Leaf batteries that came out after 2012 are far more resistant to heat. 2-3 years seems a bit of an overstatement even for a Leaf.

Damn way more car than my parents ever bought me.

I mean at least they bought me something, old nissan with 200k+ miles on it.

Your parents bought you a car? If your parents bought you any kind of car you are a damn lucky bastard. I remember being sternly told when I turned 15 that if I wanted a car when I turned 16 and could drive without a permit I damn well better be ready to buy it.

I remember going to the really sketchy used car guy in town and buying my very first car a 1978 VW Rabbit that barely ran. It was $500.

• Funny
I remember going to the really sketchy used car guy in town and buying my very first car a 1978 VW Rabbit that barely ran. It was $500.
My brothers managed to wreck my Mom's Rabbit three or fours times. I don't know why she ever let them drive it! By the time they were driving I already owned my first car. A 1975 B210 with 140K on it. Talk about a slow car. I was actually passed by semis going over a mountain pass one time. I think it had 60 HP if that. It did get good gas mileage though.

A great feature of the Model 3 is that Dad can track his Son's location and speed of travel on his smart phone. The car can be set to a "chill" mode to avoid exuberant driving, and the maximum speed can also be limited. Good parental controls until a comfort level with his sons driving capabilities are proven.

Also, that kid will be the most popular guy at his school when he arrives in his shiney new Tesla.

Car is safe, has great nav, airbags, brakes, suspension and he does not need to go to gas stations.

Another vote for a used LEAF if charging and range make sense.
Also a regular Prius will also do if extra reliability/range is required.

What did I buy my daughter (18 at the time) quite a few years back?
-an old GTI that I bought from a friend at a great place.
-most of her friends had their own cars soon after they turned 16, as you needed one where I live.

Someone should report them to the SEC for stock manipulation.

I have the w205, love the swag factor from the Mercedes diamond grill, pop out sunroof, exhaust bark at S+ mode and several other cosmetic mods I’ve put in.
I just have my model 3 (awd non p) vinyl wrapped ...it still doesn’t evoke the same butterfly feelings when you walk up to the car, a bit boring once you get used to it. However, cushiness, ride quality and acceleration are beyond what the Mercedes can ever achieve. The acceleration of the model 3 gets my heart thumping sometimes, but the regen braking help in slowing down to reasonable speed.
If the c300, switch out the run flats so at least it’s more comparable to model 3 in cushiness.
If model 3, be careful of ground clearance.

I think the Leaf batteries that came out after 2012 are far more resistant to heat. 2-3 years seems a bit of an overstatement even for a Leaf.

No, its actually the opposite, and its not an overstatement. Mine was down to 65% capacity at 40,000 miles. That's about 50 miles of range, making the car rather unusable. Although they did release a newer chemistry in 2015/2016, which was supposed to be more heat resistant, it really wasn't much better. My replacement was already down 10% in <10,000 miles.
It has actually become even worse now that they have been trying to pack 30 kWh and more into the same space, creating even more heat. Hang out on MNL.com for a while, and you will get an idea of what an issue this is for people in hotter climates, and I think Las Vegas qualifies. IMO, a Leaf is only a bargain if:
1) you can get one USED, as they have HUGE depreciation, and
2) you get one that came from a northern, cooler climate.
Now, the 2019 Leaf, that might be a completely different beast, as they are supposed to be sourcing a pack from LG that has thermal management.