Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes E350 Sport to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This debate has been done to death ever since the release of the Model 3.

The 330i X Drive I quoted is an all wheel drive model with synthetic seats which is a closer apples-to-apples comparison to the Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor.

I fundamentally disagree with your comparisons because the cars as equipped are vastly different (the $55k BMW offering considerably more features and amenities than any Model 3), and speed is only a portion of what makes a complete car.

We will have to agree to disagree.
You're comparison is still flawed because the model 3 long range dual motor is significantly faster than the 330 with similar options. You'd have to go 340 and get a discontented version which still costs significantly more. There may never be true apples to apples but I found that Tesla has a discount over the Germans in terms of cost with similar options including powertrain

I live in Florida, where the heat index was 110 on Friday and my Tesla model 3 parked outside. Started the AC five minutes before I left the office and got into a cool, comfortable car for the drive home.

I’m a bit confused. Why were you trying to compare a $60-70K car to a $38k car?

You keep touting the “sport” part of this E class and you are comparing it to the entry Tesla. Either move up the Tesla food chain, or bring your expectations into line with the price point.

You’re missing the point of my question, as well as my other responses.

Had an E-350 Sport with the AMG "Look" package. Was a nice car, but the handling was phony. On the street it felt kind of nimble. Had bigger tires, brakes and AMG wheels. Up to 80% it felt like a good handling car, but I took it to the track and if fell all over itself. When really called upon to perform it failed miserably. Pushed like a pig, had no power high up in the revs. Brakes faded badly. Would fall over onto it's bump stops and slop around the track. Instead of being balanced around a corner it would push like a snow plow. It is a poser...pure and simple.

It looked like a nice designo interior, but the MB-Tek interior was just fancy plastic seats. The paddle shifters were useless on the track, and you never knew when it would up or downshift on it's own.

The illusion of performance was carefully put into the feeling of good handling, but when you really need the handling in an emergency situation, it will fail you.

The electronics were from 20 years ago. Radio sounded good, but was over bass boosted and again phony good sounding. The gas mileage was poor compared to it's Asian competition. Required expensive premium fuel.

Craziest option was power rear seat headrest floping. A button on the dash would flop down the rear headrests if you wanted better visability out the back. Rear seat passengers would then need to push them back up manually if they wanted that vaulted Mercedes safety.

Build quality seemed good, but once again it is carefully engineered to sound and feel good, but in reality it is a pretty ordinary (and overpriced) car compared to the Asian offerings.

Take off the Mercedes grill and badging, and the car becomes quite ordinary.

Believe that Petrocelli made a bad decision here.

True advancement trumps phony every time.

I am starting to feel that way about my E Class. I haven’t taken it to the track, because it’s not a track car. If it were an E63, it would be a different story. However, when it comes to evasive maneuvers, my car has not let me down. 10 years ago, Mercedes was ahead of the game. Today, they are TRYING to play catch-up. The German car industry is a large part of their economy, and if they don’t differentiate again, they’ll be gone. Sure, the S Class, GTs, and other special model Mercedes will have buyers for several years, but not if they don’t match efficiency, power, and luxury in an alchemy above the standard market.

Honestly, I bought the car primarily for safety. I was in a bad car wreck 13 years ago in a Mini Cooper. I swore after that point, I’d always have a large trunk behind me. Now that I’m aware of the safety rating of the Model 3, there’s nothing holding me back with the exception of which 3 to chose.

One difference between the cars that no one has mentioned is this: Given that you are from Dallas, you should consider that the Model 3 has a glass roof. I'm from California, and I often park in places where the temperature exceeds 90. The glass roof was a problem for me.

The glass roof has been a non-issue for me in Phoenix, Arizona summer heat. Before I took delivery I was planning to buy a sunshade for the front roof portion but in real life use it has been fine without.

Reactions: eustachio and Nels
In LA, the back seat area and dash of our car becomes hotter than Africa Hot. That's pretty hot.

In fact, when we test drove the Model 3, I sat in the back seat and was taken aback at the extreme temperature of the black upholstery.

We always put an opaque reflective sunshade in the windshield when parked outdoors, and we use a Tesla sunshade for the roof glass (but we leave the rear glass uncovered for visibility.

Reactions: Petrocelli
I have tried to respond politely to the OP to point out a couple things to consider when buying a Model 3 after owning a Mercedes. This has resulted in ridicule and insults being heaped upon Mercedes (and me). Now that the gloves are off, let me tell the OP why I opted for Mercedes over a Model 3.

I have done dozens of hours of research on the Tesla. I have watched videos on YouTube and asked questions of numerous Tesla owners. I have read thousands of posts on this forum. These are my reasons why I didn't buy a Tesla Model 3.

Customer Service: There are hundreds of posts on this forum about how Tesla service centers won't answer the phone. Basically, Tesla has no real customer service. Tesla's service centers are overwhelmed; Tesla put too many cars on the road, and the new Model 3s have many blemishes and problems.

When I call Mercedes, I can make an appointment for the next day in under 3 minutes. (I can also use an App, but I don't.) I always get a free car wash. If I have a problem, I have the cell phone number of my service advisor.

Build Quality: Your Model 3 could have been built in a tent. One Chinese company bought a bunch of Model 3s, and was so upset about their quality that it took out billboards in Times Square to complain. "It originally purchased 278 Teslas between 2016 and 2017. It says 20% of those vehicles have had issues, and the average repair took 45 days to complete." Now, I don't know how pissed off you have to be to rent a billboard in Times Square to complain about your car, but I'm guessing it's very pissed off.

German Company Next Move also had problems with Model 3s. Consumer Reports rates Tesla in the bottom 3 for reliability. Perhaps it's all a conspiracy by Exxon. Or maybe these cars are poorly built and just break down a lot.

There are numerous posts here describing rattles, panel gaps, broken glass, paint blemishes, air conditioners that stink like a hog rendering plant, and things that simply don't work. Now, if Tesla had better customer service, this may not be a big problem. But if you are one of the people who has a problem, you could have a long wait on your hands to get repairs.

Now all cars have problems. But the number and nature of problems with new Model 3s are staggering, and well-documented.

Reliability: There are all sorts of posts on this forum about cars breaking down. I recall a thread where on guy had his car come to a halt on a freeway. I recall another guy who was saying how great his Tesla was, and offered as evidence that the car had only broken down once. In 22 years of owning a Mercedes, I have never had one that broke down while driving, needed a tow, or failed to start -- other than 2 flat tires, and once where a valet left my lights on.

Teslas often need to be "rebooted" to start. That's the equivalent of not starting.

God forbid you get in an accident: There are dozens of posts on this forum about people who were involved in accident, and who have $100,000 cars sitting around waiting for parts for months.

Delivery Delays: There are many threads on this forum with people waiting months for their car. I know a woman at work who's car was delivered two months late. Personally, I can't wait around for a car after my lease terminates. If you can, this may not be a problem. But the fact that Tesla can't tell you when it will get you your car says a lot about the company. If Mercedes says it will do something by a certain date, it will do it.

I even read one post where a guy was told to come get his car. But some sales guy sold it to someone else. Seriously. Who the hell is running this joint?

Warranty work: I have read dozens of posts here where Tesla claims something isn't covered under warranty. By way of example, last month I brought in my Mercedes with 43,000 miles for service. It had a small crack in a little plastic thing that covered a mouse pad. I was worried about having to pay for that when I returned the vehicle.Guess what happened? Covered under warranty.

Ride quality: Most of my driving is either in a morning commute, and driving east into the desert in the number 2 lane doing 70 on cruise control. The Mercedes is perfect for that driving. Many Tesla owners point out how fast their car is, and note how I will be unable to catch them. Congratulations. My Mercedes C300 coupe is fast enough to pass a Prius in the fast lane. That's really the only time I really need speed, and it's there. If you want a sports car that is fast, and where you can feel the road, Tesla beats the Mercedes C300. If you want to ride in comfort, the Mercedes is it.

Cabin Noise: There are posts all over this forum where people buy kits from China for $19.99 to seal various gaps to reduce cabin noise. There are people on YouTube driving around measuring the decibel levels in Model 3s, and trying to alleviate noise. That's not a good sign. Although I admit I haven't ridden in a Model 3 at 70, I assume these people are on to something.

That damn glass roof: I am in the desert east of Los Angeles about 3 to 4 days a month. I recently packed for a business trip, and parked in an open lot. I didn't close the shade on my sun roof. It got so hot, that my gelatin capped vitamins and medications in my pill case melted. I can only imagine how hot the cabin gets in a Model 3, and what else would melt.

Loaners versus "Uber credits": Enough said.

Teslas are the new Prius. A few years back, Priuses appeared in West Los Angeles out of nowhere. Most of them are still driving around. Model 3s similarly appeared out of nowhere. A year ago, you'd see a Model 3 and think, "That's a cool car!" Now you see one, and you think, "Another one?" I counted one day on my 20 miles commute to work. I counted 18 Model 3s. OTOH, try to find my car -- a Mercedes C300 Coupe on your next commute. You will maybe see one a week. Fortunately for Model 3 owners, consumers a stopping buying the Model 3, and Tesla's Model 3 sales are declining.

That computer screen: If you like it, I guess you like it. The problem is, it's failing, and now people are experiencing the dreaded yellow screen. (Hopefully, Tesla will be in business long enough to fix yours.)

I like having almost all of my controls on the steering wheel. All my displays are right in front of me. The new Mercedes display is totally digital. You can customize the look of the dials. can be changed to have all sorts of things. Trust me, it's very cool.

Elon Musk sucks at running a business.
While Tesla's service is deteriorating, cars are being built in tents, and phones aren't being answered, Musk starts renting solar panels and opens an insurance company. He took a trip to China to talk about artificial intelligence with an equally incomprehensible Chinese guy. Go figure.

To the OP: I don't think now is the time to buy a Tesla. I'd wait at least a year, maybe three. By then Mercedes will have about 10 models on the road. I bet they won't have panel gaps or yellow screens.

I fully intend to have an EV in 3 years. It will not be built in a tent.

This is my last post on this thread. Fire away!

Last edited:
That is part of what I’m looking for. Thank you. I have already researched changing trunk struts because I knew that would be an issue. I’ve owned several Mercedes, and there’s an almost perfect balance to the trunk lid. With that said, would you go back to a Benz over the Tesla, or is the benefit enough to tip the scales permanently for you?

I've thought about this many times. I love my Tesla. But, when I notice a tiny imperfection, it really sticks out for me. Things I likely wouldn't see on a MB or BMW.

I like not buying gas and wouldn't buy a gas car...at minimum get a hybrid.

I have tried to respond politely to the OP to point out a couple things to consider when buying a Model 3 after owning a Mercedes. This has resulted in ridicule and insults being heaped upon Mercedes (and me). Now that the gloves are off, let me tell the OP why I opted for Mercedes over a Model 3.

I have done dozens of hours of research on the Tesla. I have watched videos on YouTube and asked questions of numerous Tesla owners. I have read thousands of posts on this forum. These are my reasons why I didn't buy a Tesla Model 3.

Customer Service: There are hundreds of posts on this forum about how Tesla service centers won't answer the phone. Basically, Tesla has no real customer service. Tesla's service centers are overwhelmed; Tesla put too many cars on the road, and the new Model 3s have many blemishes and problems.

When I call Mercedes, I can make an appointment for the next day in under 3 minutes. (I can also use an App, but I don't.) I always get a free car wash. If I have a problem, I have the cell phone number of my service advisor.

Build Quality: Your Model 3 could have been built in a tent. One Chinese company bought a bunch of Model 3s, and was so upset about their quality that it took out billboards in Times Square to complain. "It originally purchased 278 Teslas between 2016 and 2017. It says 20% of those vehicles have had issues, and the average repair took 45 days to complete." Now, I don't know how pissed off you have to be to rent a billboard in Times Square to complain about your car, but I'm guessing it's very pissed off.

German Company Next Move also had problems with Model 3s. Consumer Reports rates Tesla in the bottom 3 for reliability. Perhaps it's all a conspiracy by Exxon. Or maybe these cars are poorly built and just break down a lot.

There are numerous posts here describing rattles, panel gaps, broken glass, paint blemishes, air conditioners that stink like a hog rendering plant, and things that simply don't work. Now, if Tesla had better customer service, this may not be a big problem. But if you are one of the people who has a problem, you could have a long wait on your hands to get repairs.

Now all cars have problems. But the number and nature of problems with new Model 3s are staggering, and well-documented.

Reliability: There are all sorts of posts on this forum about cars breaking down. I recall a thread where on guy had his car come to a halt on a freeway. I recall another guy who was saying how great his Tesla was, and offered as evidence that the car had only broken down once. In 22 years of owning a Mercedes, I have never had one that broke down while driving, needed a tow, or failed to start -- other than 2 flat tires, and once where a valet left my lights on.

Teslas often need to be "rebooted" to start. That's the equivalent of not starting.

God forbid you get in an accident: There are dozens of posts on this forum about people who were involved in accident, and who have $100,000 cars sitting around waiting for parts for months.

Delivery Delays: There are many threads on this forum with people waiting months for their car. I know a woman at work who's car was delivered two months late. Personally, I can't wait around for a car after my lease terminates. If you can, this may not be a problem. But the fact that Tesla can't tell you when it will get you your car says a lot about the company. If Mercedes says it will do something by a certain date, it will do it.

I even read one post where a guy was told to come get his car. But some sales guy sold it to someone else. Seriously. Who the hell is running this joint?

Warranty work: I have read dozens of posts here where Tesla claims something isn't covered under warranty. By way of example, last month I brought in my Mercedes with 43,000 miles for service. It had a small crack in a little plastic thing that covered a mouse pad. I was worried about having to pay for that when I returned the vehicle.Guess what happened? Covered under warranty.

Ride quality: Most of my driving is either in a morning commute, and driving east into the desert in the number 2 lane doing 70 on cruise control. The Mercedes is perfect for that driving. Many Tesla owners point out how fast their car is, and note how I will be unable to catch them. Congratulations. My Mercedes C300 coupe is fast enough to pass a Prius in the fast lane. That's really the only time I really need speed, and it's there. If you want a sports car that is fast, and where you can feel the road, Tesla beats the Mercedes C300. If you want to ride in comfort, the Mercedes is it.

Cabin Noise: There are posts all over this forum where people buy kits from China for $19.99 to seal various gaps to reduce cabin noise. There are people on YouTube driving around measuring the decibel levels in Model 3s, and trying to alleviate noise. That's not a good sign. Although I admit I haven't ridden in a Model 3 at 70, I assume these people are on to something.

That damn glass roof: I am in the desert east of Los Angeles about 3 to 4 days a month. I recently packed for a business trip, and parked in an open lot. I didn't close the shade on my sun roof. It got so hot, that my gelatin capped vitamins and medications in my pill case melted. I can only imagine how hot the cabin gets in a Model 3, and what else would melt.

Teslas are the new Prius. A few years back, Priuses appeared in West Los Angeles out of nowhere. Most of them are still driving around. Model 3s similarly appeared out of nowhere. A year ago, you'd see a Model 3 and think, "That's a cool car!" Now you see one, and you think, "Another one?" I counted one day on my 20 miles commute to work. I counted 18 Model 3s. OTOH, try to find my car -- a Mercedes C300 Coupe on your next commute. You will maybe see one a week. Fortunately for Model 3 owners, consumers a stopping buying the Model 3, and Tesla's Model 3 sales are declining.

That computer screen: If you like it, I guess you like it. The problem is, it's failing, and now people are experiencing the dreaded yellow screen. (Hopefully, Tesla will be in business long enough to fix yours.)

I like having almost all of my controls on the steering wheel. All my displays are right in front of me. The new Mercedes display is totally digital. You can customize the look of the dials. can be changed to have all sorts of things. Trust me, it's very cool.

While Tesla's service is deteriorating, cars are being built in tents, and phones aren't being answered, Musk starts renting solar panels and opens an insurance company. He took a trip to China to talk about artificial intelligence with an equally incomprehensible Chinese guy. Go figure.

To the OP: I don't think now is the time to buy a Tesla. I'd wait at least a year, maybe three. By then Mercedes will have about 10 models on the road. I bet they won't have panel gaps or yellow screens.

This guy is FUD. Best to ignore

Tell me how you really feel.

All valid points.

Reactions: heysteveh and cbaaz
All valid points.
Not even close to valid. Dude has been trolling this forum for weeks.

These clowns continue to compare a $38k Tesla to $70k MB and they compare only on points they deem favorable to MB. The rest are unimportant or false.

Go drive your MB and enjoy being bored to death doing it.

Also, come back in 3 years and show us those 10 EV options MB will have.

So I’ve test driven the SR+ RWD and the Performance. They didn’t have the ER AWD when I was scheduled to drive it. The SR+ RWD seems like a good commuter, but it was somewhat lacking. They gave me the performance model, and set it on chill mode, and told me it would be like the ER AWD. It felt slower than the SR+ RWD, so I put it in normal mode. Sweet mother of God! I have driven twin turbo Porsches, and Ferraris with 400-550hp that feel slow compared to the performance model 3. It was insane from 40-60.

Getting back into my Benz, I felt like I was stepping back in time, and that it was slow. So, I’m now going to reschedule to drive an ER AWD. Has anyone driven all three and opted for the ER AWD? Is the handling as good as the performance? Does acceleration still make you giggle without fear of getting your license revoked?

There are so many things in this list I disagree with from personal experience, but since the poster ran off I'm not going to write a long rebuttal. I'm just going to say I've ZERO problems (other than minor software glitches that were corrected by over the air updates) with my Model 3 since I got it in July of 2018. In fact, it's actually IMPROVED over time. This sounds pretty much like a FUD piece for Mercedes who currently have nothing to offer that's even close to a Tesla in the same price class.

I’m now going to reschedule to drive an ER AWD. Has anyone driven all three and opted for the ER AWD? Is the handling as good as the performance? Does acceleration still make you giggle without fear of getting your license revoked?
ER AWD has exceptional acceleration...even in Chill mode.

As far as handling differences between ER AWD and Performance, braking will be better on the Performance, and handling will be somewhat improved due to wider low profile tires on the Performance, but other than the suspension being lowered on the Performance model there are no differences in the suspensions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kado