Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes S-class vs Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dad recently bought the new Mercedes S-class. It has a swanky interior with LED lights, its pretty cool. Even has massage features. But the drive still feels like an old fashioned car. I just gotten used to the way EVs / Teslas drive and I prefer it over gas based cars.

My dad's main reason he bought two Mercedes instead of a Tesla or EV was because he thinks gas stations are more convenient. On the contrary, I think gas stations are a huge hassle, even if money ($50-60) wasn't an issue, you waste time not commuting.

He also thinks the self driving is just a gimmick. But I feel I can trust it. I think the S-class has its own version of self driving, but I don't know if I can trust it as much as Tesla. Because I can eat food with both hands while letting Tesla self drive at night time (after rush hour), when freeways are clear, just as long as I watch the road. Worst case, I will just have to drop my food and get control of the car. Tesla autopilot is like an advance version of how old people try using their leg / knee to steer the car. I had a tennis coach who did that 15-20 years ago, before self driving was a thing.

The Mercedes S class, it definitely has a nicer interior than Tesla. All Mercedes seem to have a nice interior. But that's about it. I feel the S-class drives slow, and you can't floor it and go. It's drives nice, but I thought it make sense now that luxury cars (that are just for luxury, not sport) should go electric. Why they try so hard to make a smooth gas engine that doesn't rumble too much when an EV motor doesn't rumble at all?

I remember all those old school Lexus commercials trying to show off their smooth engines, where they stack champagne glasses, rev the engine, and they don't fall. I feel people who were impressed by that commercial should consider an EV, because there is no engine rumbling when you're idle.

Plus I saw a Mercedes E-class that a person left unattended with the engine idleing, with no one inside. Like why though? Why do people need to idle an engine? Just to save a little gas seems like a huge risk to getting your car stolen.

I wish Mercedes / BMW / Audi / Lexus would make a mainstream electric car. Like where all the ongoing car models (3 series, E-class, 5 series, S-class) all had an electric version, so people can be like, well it's like the gas version I grew up with, except now its electric. Seems like when these luxury brands try to make an electric car, it has to be its own thing, not like a 3 series electric version.

But how is the Model S compared to the Mercedes S-class? I am just wondering if anyone on this forum considered a Mercedes S-class before the Model S. I drive a Model 3, so I can't really compare since I don't drive a Model S. Before the Tesla, I thought I would go the typical direction of Lexus, BMW or Mercedes. But once I drove the Model 3, it felt like a much better driving experience. And was exciting to think to not have to go to a gas station, or deal with the in-accuracy of a gas engine.

Reactions: f205v
I bought a Tesla Model S coming from a Mercedes GL (the top model with all the gimmicks) and I will NEVER EVER buy an ICE again in my life.

So what does that even mean for those racing badges like AMG or BMW M?

Ya they are a status symbol, but its still an ICE. And with that status symbol you get to be slower than a similar priced Tesla. I have a good feeling the dual motor Tesla Model 3 is faster than the BMW M3 Lime Rock I used to drive. And it's like mid-tier Model 3 and its still faster than a top of the line BMW M3, it was a Lime Rock Edition.

AMG used to be cool 10-20 years ago, like if you wanted to be fast, then you have to get an AMG. But now you can get a Tesla, not care to go fast, but you still go fast.

I remember my dad would always complain not to floor it because it wastes gas / money. But flooring it in an EV, can anyone really complain about wasting money?

Reactions: f205v
@JetFalcon what model S class, 450 or 560? There’s a dramatic difference wrt power. There’s no comparing the luxury of the MBZ S to the spartan Tesla S. We had a 2017 on lease—it was a 550–and it was great but we sacrificed a bit of luxury for a cool, fun electric vehicle. Where I disagree is the acceleration. The Benz we had was a 4.7L TT that had 449 HP. The facelift S560 has even more power and acceleration. Sure in any case it won’t accelerate like an electric car but for an ICE vehicle it really goes and when at speed 40-80 it really hauls. There’s really no comparing a Tesla to an S class the Tesla will lose on everything other than tech an power. Although the 2020 Benz has the beginnings of autopilot. We don’t regret the switch at all because we really love the electric drive experience and the fun tech that comes along with. Not to mention my lease went down substantially, I paid no sales tax and get 10% off tolls in NJ.

I bought my first Tesla Model S Long Range All wheel coming from a 2017 Mercedes E-300. It’s been almost 2 months, and I can definitely say I love the drive (air suspension) and power of the Tesla over the E-300, and the convenience of not having to fill the car with gas. What I don’t like is the fit and finish, and the interior. The Mercedes definitely felt more premium inside, and their fit and finish was perfect.

On the Tesla, the panels near the lights are not fitted properly (the metal panel slightly overhangs on one side of the light, and the gap distance varies from one side to the other, there is a rattle inside the steering column when driving over slight divots/bumps/manhole covers on the road. The passenger seat headrest has a plastic piece on the back that is not flush with the surrounding seat area like the driver’s sea it. All these were brought to attention of Tesla service with the response (this is normal). Tesla needs to treat their customers better by making sure the assembly is spot on, or at least attended to during pre-delivery inspection. This especially necessary after spending so much money on a Model S. Tesla is so busy trying to sell and deliver cars, they don’t take the time to finish it right.

These are my experiences so far. As I mentioned I really like the design and drive of the car, and of course the cost savings of owning an EV. But I still feel shortchanged for what I should have gotten (better quality in fit and finish, and customer service) for the price I paid.

Why not let your dad's loyalty towards Mercedes prove your point for you? R

Recently, someone high up @ Mercedes announced that they would no longer invest engineering resources on internal combustion engine technology. I'm currently on my mobile device and unable to find the link to the story I read about a month ago but he stated that moving forward, 100% of engineering would be done on battery powered electric vehicles. Given Mercedes' racing heritage built on the backs of internal combustion engine advancements through engineering that should say quite a bit.

If you can't convince him maybe his own brand loyalty will show him that it's the way things are going because it's far better.

An electromotive powertrain is a luxury feature, perhaps the best option available today. But there is no FMVSS that says an EV must have the interior designed by IKEA.

It might be blasphemy, but I feel Elon Musk should drive an Audi or Jaguar EV for a month, then climb back into any of his cars. It's rough to say the least. Tesla builds an excellent EV powertrain, but there is something to be said for luxury/executive class cars.

I came into my S from a BMW E60 M5, the one with the V10 engine and 507 horsepower. It will go 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. And on good days, it gets 11MPG. The Tesla is faster from 0-60, smoother, makes less noise, and I don't even have to pay for its fuel. 0-80 is also the range where I drive it the most, I rarely go supersonic in either car, and in that range the Tesla shines. The air suspension is so good, really smooths out any road bumps. Having access to the app to heat my car seats in the morning, to summon it when needed, it's just so great. Probably the best car I've owned. I did really love the BMW seats though, they were designed so well, and you would think so with 22 different power functions to set it just right. Everything else, Tesla wins.

I came into my S from a BMW E60 M5, the one with the V10 engine and 507 horsepower. It will go 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. And on good days, it gets 11MPG. The Tesla is faster from 0-60, smoother, makes less noise, and I don't even have to pay for its fuel. 0-80 is also the range where I drive it the most, I rarely go supersonic in either car, and in that range the Tesla shines. The air suspension is so good, really smooths out any road bumps. Having access to the app to heat my car seats in the morning, to summon it when needed, it's just so great. Probably the best car I've owned. I did really love the BMW seats though, they were designed so well, and you would think so with 22 different power functions to set it just right. Everything else, Tesla wins.

Does your car really make less noise?

I've been in a few 5er and I found them to be way, way quieter than any Telsa I've been in.

• Disagree
Reactions: rsg123 and Evoforce
But how is the Model S compared to the Mercedes S-class?

i have both, its like comparing night and day.

My parents have a S550, I have the P100D.
There are times i wish my interior was like the S550.
There are times when i wish my interior was like my friends new RS6 Avant.
In fact there are times when i wish my car would even start up like a RS6 Avant.

Really tho, Tesla has the most basic interior.
Your not really getting the car outside the obnoxiously large front touch screen, unless u really like that spartian high tech look.
(even tho i dont have a HUD.)

You get a Tesla because u dont want to drive down the neighborhood making popping and cracking noise like a RS6 Avant, but want to beat one in traffic.
But OMG... if you can afford a RS6 Avant... GO TAKE A LOOK AT ONE NOW!.

But my car vs S class.
1. P100D makes too much noise, but i have spotify / streaming / and fart machines to hide the noise by making my passengers laugh.
2. Body gaps... Germans do not leave body gaps on 6 figure cars.. :X
3. Comfort ... my parents hate getting into my car as its VERY difficult compared to the S class. The Model S is a difficult car to get into vs an Audi A7/ Benz S/ BMW 7. Something about how low the bed is and how wide you need to open the door vs the other brand.
4. Noise... i am sort of missing the rice crispy noises these new high performance engines make on the higher end... i dun know, im a fan of classics, so i love the tone note of a good supercharged V8.
5. Finishes.... ugh... the MS is very spartan, but that was intended. The MB-S, makes you feel like a CEO of a old company, the MS makes you feel like a youtube blogger with over 3+ million followers. 2 different class of people, with different wants.

If you want a car where u sit down in it and go ahh, yes this is a 6 figure car, you definitely do not get a model S, as an Audi A7 / Benz S Class / BMW 7 series, will completely blow the car out of its class in interior finishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: David29 and CrayZ1
"On the contrary, I think gas stations are a huge hassle"

"Because I can eat food with both hands while letting Tesla self drive at night time (after rush hour), when freeways are clear, just as long as I watch the road. Worst case, I will just have to drop my food and get control of the car."

I'm having trouble deciding if this is millennial silliness, vacuous thinking, both, or a bad attempt at satire.

Tesla builds an excellent EV powertrain, but there is something to be said for luxury/executive class cars.

There is also something to be said for the flexibility of a gas car. Owners here have made the jump and most are happy they did, but it is not universally better on all fronts. Planning is required for longer trips, and those trips will take longer. This isn't to say that this is a tradeoff worth making - again, the choir is already here - but not everyone equally values things like that true freedom of filling up in 5 minutes virtually anywhere.

Driving is generally believing. It wasn't until I took a ride in a M3P that I felt the tradeoff was well worth it. I also drive older Hondas and Mazdas, so I am not already biased towards luxury brands. The MS is a nice upgrade from my 2007 Ridgeline.

I think it is personality dependent. My wife got the S class I got the model S. I would always prefer to drive the MS any day. MS feels like humming bird with precision speed and control with amazing performance vs the ICE which feels like a Raven :).
I dont trust the self driving yet and more than self driving I just enjoy driving the car so self driving does not add value for me.
Dream car would be a Fisker Karma body, Tesla engine and interface, Mercedes S class interior luxury at less than 150K. I think that Tesla can do it if they want to.
K

Reactions: pilotSteve
Before this model S, I leased the S550 and BMW 750LI. Both German cars had much a better suspension system than the model S. With the German cars, it was smooth when you went over a speed bump. The Mercedes S's distronic and the BMW's adaptive cruise control are very good like the model S. But neither of them had autosteer at the time the I leased the cars. I bought the Tesla because of auto pilot feature....and I love it. I This is my 2nd model S.

Reactions: mkc731
There is also something to be said for the flexibility of a gas car. Owners here have made the jump and most are happy they did, but it is not universally better on all fronts. Planning is required for longer trips, and those trips will take longer. This isn't to say that this is a tradeoff worth making - again, the choir is already here - but not everyone equally values things like that true freedom of filling up in 5 minutes virtually anywhere.

Driving is generally believing. It wasn't until I took a ride in a M3P that I felt the tradeoff was well worth it. I also drive older Hondas and Mazdas, so I am not already biased towards luxury brands. The MS is a nice upgrade from my 2007 Ridgeline.

I hope you didn't misunderstand. There are 3? Electric Cars with executive/luxury interiors for sale today in the US. Audi, Jaguar, Porsche. If you drive any of them for an extended period, you will notice a big difference in comfort and enjoyment.

• Disagree
Reactions: Evoforce
i

If you want a car where u sit down in it and go ahh, yes this is a 6 figure car, you definitely do not get a model S, as an Audi A7 / Benz S Class / BMW 7 series, will completely blow the car out of its class in interior finishes.

But if ultimate luxury is what someone is after, why don't they skip all these and go get a used Bentley?

Personally, I would take carbon fibre and alloy over leather and wood anyday.

Last edited:
I came from an old '04 MB S430. Sure - it wasn't a dragster off the line (I had a Cobra for that kind of fun). But even the cheap base car had more interior luxury feel and room than my Model S does. I could put a rear facing car seat in the back seat without any interference to the front passenger or driver. The air suspension (when it was working right) was crazy smooth and after replacing a few engine and transmission mounts I couldn't feel or hear that engine in normal driving. Fit an finish was fantastic for an old car like that - a true testament to how well built they were.

I do really like my MS - don't get me wrong on that point. To me the MS is the perfect blend of Luxury to take the family where they need to go and quick acceleration that I was looking for. But there are a few things MB does way better even back in '04 compared to Tesla.

My only reference is my own Tesla - so perhaps the newer Model S cars have improved on the ride quality.