Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Met de Tesla op vakantie in Europa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the last three weeks I've travelled around 5000km in the UK, Germany and France. First was a trip from Eindhoven to Manchester and back. A few days later I had a business trip that took me to Ulm, Munich, Regensberg, Munich, Friedrichshafen and back home. Last Wednesday to Warwick in the UK, returning home yesterday. Then it was straight in the S again, this time with the family, down to Provence, which is where we are now.

Yesterday I drove around 1000 km using SuC's in Maidstone, Gent, Urmond, Metz & Nancy. Today, 750 km using Nuits St George, Viennes and Orange. The follwoing observations:

1) V6.2 makes everything easy. I don't need my planning spreadsheet anymore.

2) Travelling long distance in Germany is a no brainer. France is a bit more tricky. The SuC at Metz failed on me last night after 15 mins. A guy on the other stall could not get started at all. Nuits St Georges & Viennes will need urgent expansion before the summer season.

3) There are are still a few incredibly stupid S drivers who are happy to occupy a SuC stall all night.

4) The SuC at Orange is being expanded to 8 stalls - work in progress.

5) The SuC at Northampton is a major bottleneck. 2 stalls and 3 Teslas the last two times I've been there. The M1 is also a bitch at that location with frequent delays due to roadworks.

6) To avoid having to use Northampton yesterday I managed to park my S outside the (ground floor) window of my hotel room and charge from a 13A wall socket.

7) My drive unit has started to make a horrible whistling sound that rises in pitch form low to high speed, until it passes out of auditory range. In the range 10 - 60 kph it sounds horrible - worse when I drove with the sunroof open this evening. I guess another visit to the SeC will be necessary.

For the first time since owning my S I've kinda had enough of driving her for now. It feels like I've been living in the driving seat for the last weeks. And next weekend I have to drive home again.

Still, for anyone with 'koudwatervrees" for long distance travelling, forget it. There's really no better way to travel!

Klopt, net thuisgekomen vanaf Mogendorf en zo 115 gereden en in NL vanaf Venlo wat harder en verbruik vanaf laden 199 Wh/km. In totaal natuurlijk wel paar honder meter lager geëindigd. Dat scheelt ook iets. Hele reis naar Hongarije, 2992 km gemiddeld verbruik van 214 Wh/km en daarin zitten stukken flink doorgereden maar vooral zoveel mogelijk op cc en constante snelheid opgezocht.

In the last three weeks I've travelled around 5000km in the UK, Germany and France. First was a trip from Eindhoven to Manchester and back. A few days later I had a business trip that took me to Ulm, Munich, Regensberg, Munich, Friedrichshafen and back home. Last Wednesday to Warwick in the UK, returning home yesterday. Then it was straight in the S again, this time with the family, down to Provence, which is where we are now.

Yesterday I drove around 1000 km using SuC's in Maidstone, Gent, Urmond, Metz & Nancy. Today, 750 km using Nuits St George, Viennes and Orange. The follwoing observations:

1) V6.2 makes everything easy. I don't need my planning spreadsheet anymore.

2) Travelling long distance in Germany is a no brainer. France is a bit more tricky. The SuC at Metz failed on me last night after 15 mins. A guy on the other stall could not get started at all. Nuits St Georges & Viennes will need urgent expansion before the summer season.

3) There are are still a few incredibly stupid S drivers who are happy to occupy a SuC stall all night.

4) The SuC at Orange is being expanded to 8 stalls - work in progress.

5) The SuC at Northampton is a major bottleneck. 2 stalls and 3 Teslas the last two times I've been there. The M1 is also a bitch at that location with frequent delays due to roadworks.

6) To avoid having to use Northampton yesterday I managed to park my S outside the (ground floor) window of my hotel room and charge from a 13A wall socket.

7) My drive unit has started to make a horrible whistling sound that rises in pitch form low to high speed, until it passes out of auditory range. In the range 10 - 60 kph it sounds horrible - worse when I drove with the sunroof open this evening. I guess another visit to the SeC will be necessary.

For the first time since owning my S I've kinda had enough of driving her for now. It feels like I've been living in the driving seat for the last weeks. And next weekend I have to drive home again.

Still, for anyone with 'koudwatervrees" for long distance travelling, forget it. There's really no better way to travel!

I did the same trip to the Provence (from Rotterdam) and concur with your findings, definitely needing expansions before this summer. That's the reason we will spend our summer holiday in Italy...

Net terug vanuit Z-Frankrijk. Vol vertrokken, vervolgens Vienne, NSG, Nancy, Metz, Urmond, Home. Alleen bij Urmond 2T's gezien, verder geen enkele. 1250km 15,5 uur inclusief quick diner in Urmond.

Ik heb tot op heden nog geen lange ritten (>300km) gemaakt. Daarom ben ik benieuwd naar jullie ervaring. We wonen in Uden (brabant) en gaan deze zomer naar Zuid Frankrijk (met P85). Ik twijfel of we ineens door rijden naar Metz, of even bijladen in Urmond (110 km). De Website (evtripplanner.com) adviseert het laatste maar geeft aan dat het naar Metz 371 km is, terwijl Google Maps die afstand wat hoger inschat.
Het lijkt mij een probleem dat wanneer ik met een full charge vertrek, ik in Urmond op ongeveer 75% zit, dus snelladen niet veel effect heeft.

Thx voor het advies!

- - - Updated - - -

Normaliter vind ik het zelf wel prettig om regelmatig een korte stop te maken. Echter nog 1 aanvullende stressfactor...Range anxiety vs mopperende kinderen op de achterbank :cursing:. We hebben een tweeling van 2 jaar en 4 maanden achterin zitten. Dus we rijden s nachts rond 4:30 a 5.00 thuis weg (de kids slapen meestal tot een uur of 8 a 8.30). Vandaar dat ik overwoog om het eerste deel ineens door te rijden naar Metz. Misschien wel iets langzamer, maar zo lang de auto rijdt slapen de kinderen heerlijk achterin. En dan zitten de eerste bijna 400 km er al weer op en kunnen we in Metz bij het hotel rustig ontbijten.