Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metallic Grinding / Scraping noise (known problem)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the second time in a month today the M3LR we use daily suddenly had a very load metallic grinding or scraping noise. If we had had one I would have sworn the exhaust had fallen off and was scraping on the ground. It happened about a mile from home, not when we first set off. We pulled over immediately. The first time after checking all round and under the car we set off tentatively and the noise had gone. The second time I was not there and my wife was driving. I headed out to her and we called Tesla.

This is totally different to the lighter noise you get from a bit of rust build up for example Discs grinding noise . It was quite alarming and for added shock factor some how coincided the second time with a message from the emergency SOS system that apparently was totally unrelated. Nothing like a big red warning and loud noise to make you sure your car is bust.

If it happens to any of you it is a known issue. I guess in theory it could happen to other cars but I have never heard of it before. "It is likely that a rock or debris has become wedged between the brake rotor and brake shield". There is a published procedure on the Tesla site

Do It Yourself - Model 3

but Tesla actually email you slightly different suggestions that worked for us

- Steer completely to the right, then move the car back and forward
- Steer completely to the left, then move the car back and forward
- Press brake pedal several times
- Set D and move the car a few meters
- Set R and move the car a few meters
- Set drive and brake abruptly, repeat 3 times

Reactions: rob@rar
Thanks for this post! I just got home yesterday, and backing into the garage I had the same loud metal screeching noise. Checked under the car, expecting that I was dragging some debris: nope, nothing there. Left it alone and tried again the next day, still very loud (even louder?) scraping. Tried to set up a service request, but wasn't for at least 10 days (and involved a drive into the US). I messaged through the app to Tesla service, and the only suggestion they had was to have it towed to the nearest service centre (that's a few 100 km away!). Seemed a bit extreme to me, and I was worried they'd say I did something to cause it and hence needed to pay for that very far tow. So I tried the rock debris removal technique from the tesla website in your link - worked like a charm. Pebble fell out of each of the two rear rotor shields, and noise is gone! Tried a few of the other techniques just to make sure everything was cleared out, but wow, thanks and glad I didn't resort to shipping the car off for such a small issue (with such a LOUD and alarming noise!!).

Same - I picked up Model Y today and experienced this. I took the kids down to the shops as an excuse to go out again and this suddenly started. I though I had done something to a motor by 'testing' it too much :) - panic set in a little!!

Horrendous grinding (not constant but regular pulsing) - it cleared after a mile or so.

Glad to have read this post when I got back - thanks

Reactions: mjx858
I also have had this on my 22 plate Model Y. Disconcerting sound. Both times have been when it's very cold and this morning it happened and it's been snowing. It's as if the brake pads are stuck, but sharp acceleration and sharp breaking sorted it for me. Happened twice now.

I've had this issue too. I assume it's because the brakes aren't getting used as frequently as on an ICE car.
It's not that, (though general surface rust is for that reason). A stone is flicked up and gets between the disc and backplate. It needs a stone of just the right (wrong?) size ... too big and it won't get in and too small and it will drop out immediately. Perhaps new tyres with deep tread are more likely to grab a small stone? It first happened to me with my first car that had disc brakes ... a Mini 1275GT.

Reactions: Whyone
Maybe it's something to do with the design of Tesla's? Or maybe it's just bad luck but it's happened 3 times to me since receiving the car in November. Between Mrs. McChimp and I we have owned probably around 20 ICE cars and never had this happen in any of those.

Maybe it's something to do with the design of Tesla's? Or maybe it's just bad luck but it's happened 3 times to me since receiving the car in November. Between Mrs. McChimp and I we have owned probably around 20 ICE cars and never had this happen in any of those.
It’s pretty common, just EV drivers notice it more because the cars are so quiet.

It’s pretty common, just EV drivers notice it more because the cars are so quiet.
You could be right. The three times it's happened to me I noticed it at very low speeds. I think I probably would have heard it in my older cars but I may be wrong. The last time in the model Y I noticed it above the music I was playing.

But it absolutely could just be coincidence I noticed it in the Y and not my older cars.

I suppose some cars have slightly different spacing of the back plate in relation to the disc ... it's even possible that your back plate is fitted at a slight angle in relation to the disc ... or you routinely park/drive over some very small sized gravel of just the right size! 3 times since November is definitely way above expectation no matter what. Is it always the same wheel? (If so that might imply a different postion of the backplate) I've had it happen maybe half a dozen times over many many (ahem) years of driving, but not in my Model 3.

Happened to me during early ownership of the MY in late 2022. It was a stone in the brakes. Some hard breaking both forward and in reverse should dislodge it. We need to remember that the brakes don’t really get used so every now and then a bit of firm pressure on them helps to clear debris.

Happened to me today (2023 MYLR). Mighty pleased I found this thread as I followed the instructions given by Tesla in the first post and the little stone dropped out on to the garage floor. Very relieved as I'm driving from the French Alps to London tomorrow, and the last thing I wanted was a stone putting massive grooves in my brake disc while making a massively distracting noise for hundreds of miles.

I've had this issue multiple times with my Y, and always assumed a stone was the cause although never identified it dropping out. Never experienced it with ICE cars.
Yes, it can happen with any kind of car ... first came across it many years ago ... in fact when I think about it, that was on the first car I bought that had disc brakes!