Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger Puerto Vallarta
@Guacahummus @corywright @Chuq
IMG_4839.png

Debating about safety traveling from Austin to Monterrey and back in M3P in early Dec. How does the safety profile look like these days? Drug cartel activity a concern en route? We would be traveling during the day.

Alternatively, we would fly into airport. If so, Is profiling a concern?
I have not heard of ANYONE driving their Model 3 from McAllen to Monterrey (2.0 hour drive +/-) From Austin you'd be looking in the 7 hours range to drive. A quick Google search shows a 1:15 hr nonstop flight on Viva Aerobus from San Antonio to Monterrey. I would expect you could arrange for airport pickup and straight to hotel or destination.

Taking that route, I would think that your "safely travelling" odds go up significantly.

I have not heard of ANYONE driving their Model 3 from McAllen to Monterrey (2.0 hour drive +/-) From Austin you'd be looking in the 7 hours range to drive. A quick Google search shows a 1:15 hr nonstop flight on Viva Aerobus from San Antonio to Monterrey. I would expect you could arrange for airport pickup and straight to hotel or destination.

Taking that route, I would think that your "safely travelling" odds go up significantly.
We would drive to San Antonio for direct flight to Monterrey. Twist is there are no direct flights back only connector via Mexico City.

Used to do Corpus > Monterrey > Corpus on the weekends a decade ago (damn that sounds harsh) mostly thru Reynosa/Pharr. Could do it in my then 2009 Hybrid Civic in about 5.5 hrs and not have to refuel until I was back at McAllen lol

Wish I had a Model 3 back then!

I have asked this question before but would be curious on everyone’s opinion on whether Tesla will be building a solid supercharger corridor between the US west to Mexico City and puerta Vallarta. Eg. A reliable supercharger every 200 kilometres or so. To date there seems very little interest in these corridors.

Thoughts?

I have asked this question before but would be curious on everyone’s opinion on whether Tesla will be building a solid supercharger corridor between the US west to Mexico City and puerta Vallarta. Eg. A reliable supercharger every 200 kilometres or so. To date there seems very little interest in these corridors.

Thoughts?

I don’t think anyone here will be able to answer that. If there really was a Tesla employee in the know sharing that information here I’m sure Tesla would crack down in a heartbeat. Tesla is known for going after employees sharing too much or going rogue.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers

Thoughts?
What would this route generally follow if you were to sketch it out?

From as best as I can understand, Mexico pays only lip service to anything related to electrification of transportation. Mexico is a petroleum producing nation and its governments have historically promoted use of petroleum both domestically and for export.

Almost all BEVs that are made here are exported. There are no incentives for purchasing electric vehicles. There are no incentives for installing charging infrastructure. Electricity prices are high.

Imagine the “built in” network for charging. There could be charging stations at every toll station on the extensive toll highway system. Then it would require only “fill in” charging stations on secondary routes such as Highway 200 between Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco.

I would love to own a Tesla here in Mexico, but it is impractical. I wouldn’t even be able to drive from my home in the Zihuatanejo area to the nearest Tesla service centre in Morelia.

From as best as I can understand, Mexico pays only lip service to anything related to electrification of transportation. Mexico is a petroleum producing nation and its governments have historically promoted use of petroleum both domestically and for export.

Almost all BEVs that are made here are exported. There are no incentives for purchasing electric vehicles. There are no incentives for installing charging infrastructure. Electricity prices are high.

Imagine the “built in” network for charging. There could be charging stations at every toll station on the extensive toll highway system. Then it would require only “fill in” charging stations on secondary routes such as Highway 200 between Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco.

I would love to own a Tesla here in Mexico, but it is impractical. I wouldn’t even be able to drive from my home in the Zihuatanejo area to the nearest Tesla service centre in Morelia.
I asked before but will reask now. How safe is it to drive San Antonio to Monterrey in daytime these days?

With the number of Americans or dual citizenship Americans that live and travel down there you'd think if there was a lot of danger it'd be in the news as "American Kidnapped" or killed. All my friends who do travel down south talk about it being no big deal. Of course they may have good instincts about where NOT to go that Joe Americano may not have developed.