Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good I didn’t get tagged going 135 MPH! There was a convoy of mostly US cars cruising over 100 returning to Laredo.

Yes, I wasn’t yet clear on the choice between cuota and libre on the first day and ended up where you surmised. Driving through towns and arriving at turns on the nav that had no road to turn into. Town traffic was insane and I made the mistake of following a group of cars down the shoulder. Turned into a minefield. Losing internet access was scary not knowing if I was using up my charge on a dead end route. Having my phone for routing was a godsend. Thanks for all the insight! I won’t be using it any time soon though:)

Good I didn’t get tagged going 135 MPH! There was a convoy of mostly US cars cruising over 100 returning to Laredo.

The Monterrey-Laredo leg is a special one.

It's sometimes used for "special" transports.

Cops there tend not to meddle (usually) and 90-110 MPH is the norm on that stretch. I still wouldn't do it.

Yes, I wasn’t yet clear on the choice between cuota and libre on the first day and ended up where you surmised. Driving through towns and arriving at turns on the nav that had no road to turn into. Town traffic was insane and I made the mistake of following a group of cars down the shoulder. Turned into a minefield. Losing internet access was scary not knowing if I was using up my charge on a dead end route. Having my phone for routing was a godsend. Thanks for all the insight! I won’t be using it any time soon though:)

in town driving (especially small towns) can be beyond horrendous down here. Absolute no idea of the concept of traffic flow. Good if you have an EV though.

It also shows more in Baja, always wanted to do that 1000 mile drive, still not enough to drive there only on Superchargers.

There is no Supercharger in Baja/north of the Border from San Diego on the peninsula so far. I don't know what you are referring to. Destination chargers are plenty though.

Sad to hear that Mexican Police still use fear and intimidation to get themselves income from unsuspecting tourists...

Not tourists, everyone on the street. Won't change ever. It's "culture".

You would think in this day and age people would post on FB if they are getting violated and the cops would have their faces posted "Watch out for this bad guy".

The problems start way above in hierarchy. Social media has however made it easier to document such violations.

Perhaps that's just my Left Coast talking.
-Randy

Yes. Calling TX scary and MX not when it comes to traffic/road conditions/safety (if that's what you were referring to) probably is.

Guys, bad news for unlimited mobility:

The following MX-superchargers have been updated to the following access hours:

Monday-Sunday; 11.00 AM - 10.00 PM

Atizapan de Zaragoza, EM Supercharger | Tesla

Chilpancingo de los Bravo, GRO Supercharger | Tesla

Cuernavaca, MOR Supercharger | Tesla

San Francisco Ocotlán, PUE Supercharger | Tesla

San Juan Del Río, QRO Supercharger | Tesla

all the mentioned superchargers are located in malls

IMO, major bummer and an indicator for catastrophic planning by Tesla Mexico.

The idea of a supercharger is to have access 24/7, especially in emergency situations.

• Informative
Reactions: Bighorn and MarcoRP
Guys, I need your opinion:

If you had a Tesla down here (in the CDMX area) and Tesla retroactively rendered your vehicle partially useless (due to the "time" access restriction to the superchargers around Mexico City), would you sue?

Reasons:

a) there is no other fast-charging network in Mexico ex superchargers
b) even fast home charging (above NEMA 14-50) is pretty much unavailabe
c) road trips to certain destinations become undoable (and unplannable should you require recharges early morning till 11 AM or late night after 10 PM)

Am I exaggerating or has Tesla Mexico just lost it's mind?

The limited access seems to be the doing of the property owner. Tesla has little leverage there. As you know, night driving is not typically a smart idea. The 11am start seems excessively late, though if your charging is accomplished the night before, the first few hours of driving of the day can be accomplished before needing a supercharge.

Might it have been the price to pay for adequate security? I know I left one location at night because it looked like the guard was going to lock a gate at Matehuala. And this is still listed as a 24 hour site.
Yeah, security might be the reason here. Does not explain the 11 AM curfew though, which would bother me even more than the 10 PM closure.

If it was 6.00 AM or sunrise till 11.00 PM, I'd say: Ok, not perfect, but managable.

But 11.00 AM till 10.00 PM, aka 11 out of 24 hours of the day? I'd call that rather inaccaptable.

I own a business in Outlets at the Border in San Ysidro, this is the mall right at the border, off the 5 South freeway before you enter Mexico.
I was talking to the mall manager last week and he said he "signed and sent paperwork" in October to Tesla to apply for the mall to be Supercharger station but has not heard anything back.
An SC station right there would be awesome to top off before a trip to Rosarito or Ensenada.
Anyone know how we can make that happen? Is there a "suggestion box" that Tesla looks at?

I own a business in Outlets at the Border in San Ysidro, this is the mall right at the border, off the 5 South freeway before you enter Mexico.
I was talking to the mall manager last week and he said he "signed and sent paperwork" in October to Tesla to apply for the mall to be Supercharger station but has not heard anything back.
An SC station right there would be awesome to top off before a trip to Rosarito or Ensenada.
Anyone know how we can make that happen? Is there a "suggestion box" that Tesla looks at?
Tesla has a planned location in San Ysidro for 2019. Don’t know what the holdup is about but they will probably contact you next year but I’m not an expert. Seems Tesla won’t be going south of the Cali border anytime soon either.

Can anyone comment on the 12 SuperCharger locations in Mexico that are already open? I have asked TMC to include a catagory for Mexico on the forum, but other then a polite reply saying that they will look into it, no other information. Why do we have a category for Brazil where there are no SC's, but nothing for Mexico where there are already 12 SuperCharger locations open. I think it is important that Tesla owners in Mexico are included so that they can relay their experiences. I would also like to consider travel there and would like to get an idea of what to expect.

Reactions: MarcoRP and IdaX
While Tesla appears to have no immediate plans for Superchargers in western Mexico, I observed on Tesla's map that there is Destination Charger coverage all the way down the Baja California peninsula to Cabo San Lucas!

Has anyone here driven their Tesla a significant distance south of the California border?

Not a Tesla, but travelled close to 80,000 kilometers in 26 of the 31 states and federal district in a 21 foot motor home. Way fun.

That would be us on the baha about 7 years ago...second from the end.

dcp_1061.jpg