Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MG Cyberster concept EV roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
77kWh battery, 316m WLTP on RWD, 276 on AWD. 10-80 in. 10%-80% in 38 mins
RWD is a little faster than a M3 LR RWD, which will do 396 WLTP, 10%-80% in 27 mins
AWD is slower than the new M3 Perf, 316 WLTP, 10%-80% in 27 mins

So, charges slow and uses that charge inefficiently. Can't say I like the tech specs that much at this sort of price.

It’s a convertible, it’s never going to be as efficient as you will get with a hard top. But 400 mile city range is not too shabby. I’ve done 120+ in a convertible, it’s top speed is plenty.

Lots of things to like - including many features not on a Tesla.

But it’s a completely different type of car to any current Tesla, so comparing one feature or performance against the other is pointless.

I’ve bitten. Ordered GT dual motor red with red/ black interior today - delivery hopefully August but more likely September - was so tempted by the Inca yellow. The M3P was my 2nd Tesla M3 in a row and I needed a change. If the new M3P had been a little more different I’d have probably have ordered one earlier in the week, but I’d have gone for red with white interior again so apart from the sportier seats it’d have felt almost the same. Only £5k difference between single and dual motors was a bargain, paint £695 for the 2 premium choices and apart from colour of the roof, zero other options. Would have liked a yoke though if only to see the screens behind the steering wheel!

It’s almost everything the 2nd gen Tesla roaster should have been before Tesla got distracted. They could have released this car at this price point years ago if they kept the design brief sensible and they would have sold tens if not hundreds of thousands of them by now.

My only complaint about the spec sheet is 276 mile WLTP range seems a bit low for a small car with a 74.4kwh usable battery.

I get it’s got 500HP but a model Y LR is a far bigger car with >400HP and will do 320 mile WLTP from a similar sized battery.

I still want one 😅

I think it looks great. Dumb name, but everything else looks stellar.

Was a bit surprised at the limited interior options, or rather the ones they went with. Red/black doesn’t really work with yellow, which leaves the grey interior which I don’t particularly like the look of. A all black interior seems like a no brainer option, perhaps with contrast stitching in the outer colour.

That’s all I can really complain about though.

Reactions: Chris CG
it’s got to be fake news, an EV roadster announced 3 years ago and a journalist is driving one today… I thought the incubation period was at least 8 years? :)

I watched the Tom Ford review, I generally like his style, and yeah, he liked it for what it was and for many it will be ideal. Maybe more a well paid hairdressers car than a Boxster competitor, but there could well be a market for near silent, fume free, wind in your hair ride out into the country. All those Audi TT convertible, BMW Z4 and Mazda MX5 drivers who bought them for everything but the raw driving appeal. It’s a shame the MG badge lost some if it’s gloss when they stuck it on a Maestro. But let’s face it, you’ve a choice of 1 when it comes to this segment of car, so well done MG.

Saw one in the flesh at Goodwood last month, it’s a very smart looking car…

41DC131D-79C7-4813-8AB5-C0EE25A572D0.jpeg
AFBB636F-C32A-4B51-B585-487F8AC6AE60.jpeg

It's more of a GT than the Roadster which is all about performance I think.

Looks nice and would be an interesting car to drive.

MG are doing a really good job.

Porsche are doing the Cayman and Boxster EVs next year, not sure what the Roadster will give us over those two.

I think the MG Cyberster is in a different price bracket to the Porsche Boxster. The current petrol Boxster starts at £55k and can easily hit £70k with the kind of options that other cars offer as standard (e.g. heated steering wheel £362 and keyless entry £546). Given that the entry level EV Macan is about £15k more than the entry level petrol Macan, I wouldn’t be surprised if the EV Boxster starts at £70k like the Macan and ends up being around £85k with options or over £100k if you want something with the same kind of performance as the dual motor Cyberster.

There’s a few more photos of the yellow car at Salon Prive over on the Pistonheads forum including the grey interior. Not normally a fan of yellow cars, but it does suit the Cyberster. The top of the dash looks darker than the MG configurator, which was a concern for reflections.

Speaking of the configurator the car has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (not to be confused with Android Automotive like on the Volvo EX30), 360 degree camera and slightly unusually vehicle to load. Boot capacity isn’t huge at 249 litres. However this is only slightly smaller than the Boxster, which is 275 litres, but in the Porsche this is split between front and rear boots, so less useful. Oh and it has parking sensors!