Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate 2 issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a pair of Michelin CrossClimate 2's put on the rear of my M3LR with standatd aeros. They dont feel right. Going into a corner relatively quickly, it feels as though the back end is about to step out. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm thinking of putting CC2's on my front wheel drive ICE. I'm hoping initially that I can get away with just putting a pair on the rears - MOT advisory that at some point one of the fronts will need replacing, so I would need to rotate back to front. I've mixed different (but similar premium ie Michelin and Continental) tyres in the past (same tyres, same axle) with no issue, but these would be different season tyres and I wouldn't be so confident that I could mix summer and cross climates. But when push comes to shove, I would get fitters to made the decision as to whether to change all 4. Its not a cost thing, more of the rears potentially having many thousands of miles still left in them and one front prematurely wore - need to get alignment checked too.

I wonder if you are seeing a noticeable problem because the tyres are seasonally and performance wise quite imbalanced?

1) Do not mix tyres like that, it will cause an imbalance
2) All seasons/winters usually start off with more tread so the tread blocks move around more, which is part of what you're feeling
3) The car will most likely give you a tread level warning because you now have very different tread depths front to back
4) What did you think you were going to acheive by only fitting all seasons to the rear of an AWD car?

Reactions: M1tch and Stan930
1) Do not mix tyres like that, it will cause an imbalance
2) All seasons/winters usually start off with more tread so the tread blocks move around more, which is part of what you're feeling
3) The car will most likely give you a tread level warning because you now have very different tread depths front to back
4) What did you think you were going to acheive by only fitting all seasons to the rear of an AWD car?
I also have CC2s on the rear.

1) It will, but probably less than different tread depths
2) Yep!
3) nope!
4) Not spending a huge amount in one month for all 4 tyres. Not everyone can easily afford it in one go. And throwing two perfectly good front tyres seems wasteful.

You've got tyres with different construction, sidewall stiffness, tread design, tread depth and amount of grip and traction on the front and rear and you think that's OK?
Good luck and I hope you don't have to deal with an unexpected high speed lane change/braking incident anytime!

Reactions: browellm

2) Yep!
3) nope!
4) Not spending a huge amount in one month for all 4 tyres. Not everyone can easily afford it in one go. And throwing two perfectly good front tyres seems wasteful.

I hear what you're saying re cost/waste but yeah it won't be a great driving experience with the mixed tyres.

Any reason why you didn't get the same tyres?

2) Yep!
3) nope!
As you say, the cost of replacing 4 when only 2 needed was the main reason - at least 5 000 miles left on the fronts
What do you have on the front?

As you say, the cost of replacing 4 when only 2 needed was the main reason - at least 5 000 miles left on the fronts
What do you have on the front?
You're not helping with the Scots stereotype by saying that.

Honestly, this is the worst kind of false economy. Please don't do it.
You'll kill yourself or someone else.

Did you actually bother to watch this video posted earlier?

The whole notion is plain stupid.

For what it’s worth this is my experience and personal feeling of having CC2 tyres on all corners.
I replaced my stock PS4’s with CC2’s in December 2021 although the stock had only covered 12k miles. First impressions ( and lasting), what a difference to the comfort & noise level. There’s a measurable improvement in noise and very noticeable difference in comfort. I’ve now driven 5k miles in a variety of differing weather conditions and driving styles (I’m not expanding further) and I’m really impressed. When pushed they instil loads of confidence, hold the line, almost “like on rails”. They are as sure footed as a cat in both dry and wet conditions. I haven’t tried but I think it might be difficult to drift but I’ve not got EB installed.
In the wet they also feel sure footed, I’ve experienced several long drives up & down the M40 in heavy rain with plenty of standing water during jan & fed and never felt unsure about their ability.
My M3 is now more comfortable and quieter than my last BMW 330d xdrive & much more fun to drive, so I’m a very happy bunny.
I can’t comment on wear as yet, as I said before wear is not top of my list of important features.

Not spending a huge amount in one month for all 4 tyres. Not everyone can easily afford it in one go
Maybe don't buy a £60,000 car if you can't afford to run it safely? It's not just you that's affected, it's the person in the opposite lane that encounters the back of your car heading towards them at 60mph after you've spun out on a cold, wet, bend.