Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE 2 Real life experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your help with this.

We live in Vancouver and are looking for a new tire for my 2020 Model X. The car would be just for driving within the city, so efficiency is not very important. In Vancouver we do get rain 4-5 months a year and snow for maybe 2-3 weeks per year.

We are also not worried about noise and tread wear a lot. Most important thing is handling and drivability at city speeds in cold rainy weather

Are Crossclimate a good choice for that?

Thanks

I have 4K city miles on the CC suv (it’s very close to the CC2s). I like them. Noise is my only complaint. But with it full of kids and a baby crying and the stereo going I can’t hear them. They seem grippy enough. But I haven’t launched mine ever. Tires are all about compromise. All season just means they don’t do anything well. The triple peak snow flake rating means they are decent in snow and pass as a snow tire in Quebec (at least I think so). I have them on my van and the X. I would buy again. Seems like the rubber is harder after a year and they are not as grippy. But that’s on the van. Wet traction is why I bought them. Snow was a bonus I probably won’t ever utilize.

Upvote 0
I have 4K city miles on the CC suv (it’s very close to the CC2s). I like them. Noise is my only complaint. But with it full of kids and a baby crying and the stereo going I can’t hear them. They seem grippy enough. But I haven’t launched mine ever. Tires are all about compromise. All season just means they don’t do anything well. The triple peak snow flake rating means they are decent in snow and pass as a snow tire in Quebec (at least I think so). I have them on my van and the X. I would buy again. Seems like the rubber is harder after a year and they are not as grippy. But that’s on the van. Wet traction is why I bought them. Snow was a bonus I probably won’t ever utilize.
Thanks. Is it better in wet conditions over the OEM?

Upvote 0
Thanks. Is it better in wet conditions over the OEM?
No personal experience. The reviews of the CC2s were really good in the wet. I guess it depends on how wet. The directional tread really moves water well.

And that bring up a point Directional tires on asymmetrical front rear sizes mean you can not rotate. The way they wear, outsides up front and inside at the rear you really don’t gain much from a left to right rotation. (The outside is still the outside).

I’m convinced they are a great tire I just don’t have any evidence that they are the best tire for an X. They are not a performance tire. They are not an EV tire.
They only will get 1/2 the rates warranty mileage because the asymmetrical front rear size. Never had them on snow. That’s all I know. At any rate odds are good you will get to buy a new set in 20-25k miles. If you don’t like them;)

Upvote 0
I put CC2 on my old 2018 Model 3 and while they did great overall, they definitely lacked summer performance if you drive more aggressively.

Sure, it won't be the same as performance tires. But ride comfort and safety in bad weather are both 200x more important to me. I don't track the car or anything like that.

On a different note -- see you have a FR 282TXR in your signature; do you tow it with the 3 or Y?

Upvote 0
Sure, it won't be the same as performance tires. But ride comfort and safety in bad weather are both 200x more important to me. I don't track the car or anything like that.

On a different note -- see you have a FR 282TXR in your signature; do you tow it with the 3 or Y?

I have towed it with the Y around Central Texas (and the Y is lifted with MPP). But now have an R1T but haven't towed it yet except to just get the trailer out for cleaning and testing.

The Y does an amazing job with AWD.

Reactions: dmurphy
Upvote 0
I have towed it with the Y around Central Texas (and the Y is lifted with MPP). But now have an R1T but haven't towed it yet except to just get the trailer out for cleaning and testing.

The Y does an amazing job with AWD.

Would love to hear more about your R1T experiences as they happen. We tow with the Model X but as my son gets older (he's got about 2 years to go till he gets his license) we'll need to become a 3-vehicle family. Considering R1S as the expansion vehicle (as in, that one becomes mine :). Or, possibly a Y. Or, I become evil, get the kid a Bolt and keep my 3. I'm all over the map for the future.

Upvote 0
I’ve actually just ordered these, found this old thread. Anything I should know? I live in NYS so all-seasons were a must. I am coming off Continental Pro Contact RX, which I thought were pretty good in terms of grip but a bit dissapointing noise-wise and tread-wear wise.

I have a 2018 P3D with 19” OEM Wheels (TSportsline Flow Forged Wheels)

Upvote 0
Currently I'm running cc2 on the front and Michelin Latitude Sport on the rear.
The rears are just because the camber is wrecking my tires within 5-10k before I get the new adjustable arms on.
The fronts are great, they have about 11k on them, great wear, noise isn't as bad as the CC SUV I had on before and efficiency seemingly makes no odds.
In the wet they are great, they aren't as good on the greasy stuff we sometimes get in the UK as the Pilot Sports I had before but as I get a lot of rain where I live and snow once or twice a year upto 8" deep they are great and perfect.
I have a steep and short driveway and the only time I struggled was after a few times of going on and off the drive, the compacted snow was just too slick for the rears and the fronts couldn't dig in enough.

Performance wise, again in the summer and the dry they aren't pilot sports. But they aren't meant to be. You can feel them before they start to let go, plenty of warning and feedback.
And the X is a big old heffa, but with CC2 up front and the latitudes at the back it can still shift around twisty stuff. Yes it does start to wash out(understeer) when the rubber and road temp gets up or there is any greasiness to the road surface. But again, I know they aren't performance tyres so would never expect them to do so much.

The sizes I have are
255-45-20
275-45-20

Reactions: EbS-P
Upvote 0
First part of my review: a disclaimer - I generally HATE Michelin tires and have had very poor experiences with them on a number of vehicles and size classes.

Now about the CC2 tires. They are AMAZING. As someone who has this feeling about Michelin in general, it took a lot for me to even put my own money out for these. I did, and promptly drove out of the tire shop into a parking lot that had been rained on all day and swapped to sleet while I was indoors. It was an ice rink.

The tires did better than I expected in that mess. On rainy roads, you will be asking yourself "what rain?" b/c the grip is that good. I would generally agree that any all-season will suck equally in all seasons.... Not these.

Carving around turns in the summer on a windy parkway (and driving probably faster than I should at that time) they were locked to the road.
Out in California in March over Donner Pass when a snowstorm had JUST gone through and they were demanding chains - I did not have to chain up b/c these qualify as a "winter traction tire" and they were clawing through snow without issues.

The ONLY place that they have less-than-stellar grip is on an iced-over parking lot / black ice conditions, and really.... That's going to defeat EVERYTHING other than a studded tire. But even there, when INTENTIONALLY looking to lose grip, the tires and the traction control together made it impossible to put the car into an intentional skid. I mean 20mph and yank the wheel over, and the computer just folds its arms and says "NOPE, you keep control because I say so." Turn the TC off and you CAN skid, but YOU can also get it back if you know what you are doing.

These are damned impressive tires. I now have them on three Teslas and my VW TDI. These are the tires I would put (and did) on my sister's car AND on my mother's car. That's what I think about their performance.

Upvote 0
First part of my review: a disclaimer - I generally HATE Michelin tires and have had very poor experiences with them on a number of vehicles and size classes.

Now about the CC2 tires. They are AMAZING. As someone who has this feeling about Michelin in general, it took a lot for me to even put my own money out for these. I did, and promptly drove out of the tire shop into a parking lot that had been rained on all day and swapped to sleet while I was indoors. It was an ice rink.

The tires did better than I expected in that mess. On rainy roads, you will be asking yourself "what rain?" b/c the grip is that good. I would generally agree that any all-season will suck equally in all seasons.... Not these.

Carving around turns in the summer on a windy parkway (and driving probably faster than I should at that time) they were locked to the road.
Out in California in March over Donner Pass when a snowstorm had JUST gone through and they were demanding chains - I did not have to chain up b/c these qualify as a "winter traction tire" and they were clawing through snow without issues.

The ONLY place that they have less-than-stellar grip is on an iced-over parking lot / black ice conditions, and really.... That's going to defeat EVERYTHING other than a studded tire. But even there, when INTENTIONALLY looking to lose grip, the tires and the traction control together made it impossible to put the car into an intentional skid. I mean 20mph and yank the wheel over, and the computer just folds its arms and says "NOPE, you keep control because I say so." Turn the TC off and you CAN skid, but YOU can also get it back if you know what you are doing.

These are damned impressive tires. I now have them on three Teslas and my VW TDI. These are the tires I would put (and did) on my sister's car AND on my mother's car. That's what I think about their performance.

By far and without question, the very best tires I’ve ever bought. Bar none.

I’m going to need winters for my Model S, and whatever wheel setup I use (square vs staggered, 19/20/21”) will all depend on what size CC2s I can get. They’re that impressive.

Upvote 0
By far and without question, the very best tires I’ve ever bought. Bar none.

I’m going to need winters for my Model S, and whatever wheel setup I use (square vs staggered, 19/20/21”) will all depend on what size CC2s I can get. They’re that impressive.

The question of whether to get Nokians for winter has been answered: Nope, run the crossclimate2. On the S, I went with 235/45/19 square setup (OEM rims) which are 10mm narrower than the factory 245.... Because they were $50 cheaper PER TIRE and no good reason for the upcharge on the wider ones. ZERO performance difference. I would have preferred a slightly taller sidewall, but 235/55 will NOT fit under the struts.

Upvote 0