Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE 2 Real life experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your help with this.

We live in Vancouver and are looking for a new tire for my 2020 Model X. The car would be just for driving within the city, so efficiency is not very important. In Vancouver we do get rain 4-5 months a year and snow for maybe 2-3 weeks per year.

We are also not worried about noise and tread wear a lot. Most important thing is handling and drivability at city speeds in cold rainy weather

Are Crossclimate a good choice for that?

Thanks

I've run these for the last two winters on my Y. No complaints on performance. I do however like to clean my tires before installing them to check for nails or damage. In Calgary the city uses gravel instead of sand or salt. These tires collect more rocks than any I have had in the past. Here is a picture of the total amount of gravel I removed from my four tires yesterday before installing them:
Rocks.jpg
CrossClimateRocks.jpg

Upvote 0
Any rocks in my tires are long gone before I hit 45MPH. Many time I can hear them clearing. Now my front inner fender is pulling out of a clip at the bottom and it makes a nice catch basin for my rocks. There is a good handful or two in there now.

Upvote 0
I had a set of CC SUV on my Model X for about 16000 miles and have just changed to CC SUV 2 which have around 3000 miles on them.

I found the CC SUV good and the SUV 2s excellent. I found noise similar or less than the OEM Latitude Sports. The Lattitude Sports were terrible in the slightest snow.

The difference between the SUV and SUV 2 is the 2s seem to handle better. The original SUVs would feel a little bit squirmy, like the side walls were deforming when driven aggressively. I do not feel this at all on the 2s.

• Informative
Reactions: NJturtlePower
Upvote 0
I put CC2s on my Volt last year, and I've put maybe 4k miles on them since. They're high on the list for tires to go on the Y when the OEM Continentals cry for mercy soon. Mostly echo everyone else's positive reviews, including an encounter with hidden solid ice on a tight curve on freshly paved blacktop road. Car broke loose into a 4 wheel slide and reconnected with absolutely no fuss. Very impressed with grip in challenging deep winter and edge of winter conditions. Haven't had them through big rain though yet, so no comments there.

A couple of caveats. I drive on gravel roads for maybe 20% of my miles, and the softer rubber in these tires does not stand up the sharp gravel on local roads through the summer weather temperatures. If unpaved roads are your thing, you might want to consider something more AT ish to stand up to the rocks. And yes, the tires are astoundingly good at collecting 2-4mm sized pebbles and bringing them with.

I've found the sidewall to be quite stiff, which is great for handling but murder on the ride quality. Noise is very good when new but I can already hear them getting louder in just a few mm of wear.

Upvote 0
They would be the perfect winter set honestly, here in NJ. Winter months we barely get Any snow but temperatures do drop and winter weather in unpredictable. Bet to switch over the CC2 iaftet thanksgiving up to April. Then ditch to the summer tires. Yes nobody wants 2 sets of rims/tires but all season are master of none. I have the CC2 on my old Camry and they are very noisy in the summer and dry payment and they squeal a lot shaking corners are anything over 40 mph. CC2 is a very hard compounded tire hence the rating is 560 bs normal 300’s the harder the compound, the noisier the tire. Just my 2 cents. Don’t forget the range will suffer suffer also do to its aggressive tread pattern.

Upvote 0