Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for 22"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice tires - how do the ride & handling compare to the 22" pirellis ?

1. They feel weird at first (grippy/sticky) on the steering wheel, but you get used to that quickly.
2. PS4S's don't ride like true 22's but more like 20" wheel (just my opionion). Somewhat soft particularly if you have the comfort setting
3. The acceleration feels much more aggressive than Pirelli's. The Pirelli's felt heavy and somewhat laggy/not as responsive, almost like a shoe thats too big or just doesn't fit right.
4. The ride is a lot smoother and quieter, can barely hear the tire noise.
5. Small downfall: You need to allow sometime for the PS4S to warm up in colder temps like in the low 40's/high 30's.
6. And yes the efficiency is noticeable. Which for me was the main reason I dumped the Pirellis. So it's been well worth it.

Lastly I have no idea why Tesla uses the Pirelli as it's OEM tire. I see NO value in it what so ever. It sucks in snow, efficiency is bad and not really performance tire by any meaningful metric. I hate to sound like a broken record; But again I don't see the purpose of the OEM Pirelli's.

I've had these installed for about a week now. I agree with everything already said about the driving dynamics. They glue the X to the road even in pouring down rain. Agility is definitely improved. However, efficiency thus far is pretty disappointing. I'm hoping they have a break-in period and the temps here have been in 30's-50's which doesn't help. So far these are worse than the 20" Pirelli snow tires I swapped out and way worse than the 20" OEM Conti's. I was hoping to minimize the range loss of the 22's with this tire but so far not the case. They look fantastic though. :cool:

20's in winter with snow tires and the 22's now in summer with the PS4's. It's definitely not a fair comparison and it's possible PS4's are still more efficient than other 22" tires.. just sharing my initial reactions. I was just overly optimistic these might be closer to the efficiency of 20's. The range hit for bigger heavier 22's was expected.

Your comments are encouraging. I'm looking to improve the ride of my recent 2018 100D purchase, especially over rougher road surfaces. I want great handling but for now, I mostly need serene cruising at speed. Replacing the ContiSilents is one of the few places it seems I can go, even though the current tires are almost new. Bear with me here, though. How different are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 22's from the Michelin Pilot Sport 4SUV 20's? Obviously one is 4S 22's and the other 4SUV 20's. But is the 'SUV' a diff tire?

Your comments are encouraging. I'm looking to improve the ride of my recent 2018 100D purchase, especially over rougher road surfaces. I want great handling but for now, I mostly need serene cruising at speed. Replacing the ContiSilents is one of the few places it seems I can go, even though the current tires are almost new. Bear with me here, though. How different are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 22's from the Michelin Pilot Sport 4SUV 20's? Obviously one is 4S 22's and the other 4SUV 20's. But is the 'SUV' a diff tire?
Interesting tire. just slightly heavier than the stock 20" tires. I would lean on reviews from tire-rack/ Discount tire on this one; Well at least until someone comes forward with some real-life experience with them. For the price it could be an expensive experiment. You might want to wait until your current tires wear out. But it's really up to you, so if you do decide to get them please update us.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
I was actually researching this today and came across this thread.

I’m at 4K miles on my Raven X with 22’s/Pirelli combo. The stiffness of the Pirelli has just become unbearable.

I have PS4S on my 911 that also came from the factory on P Zeros. The difference switching out to Michelin’s was well worth the money 100% and those tires weren’t even all seasons.

I dont think it’s a smart choice financially to upgrade tires this early, but I would switch to Michelin in a heartbeat when the time comes.

Can anyone here chime in on how the car feels in the low setting with Michelin’s?

Your comments are encouraging. I'm looking to improve the ride of my recent 2018 100D purchase, especially over rougher road surfaces. I want great handling but for now, I mostly need serene cruising at speed.

I've had the PS4's on for about 6 weeks now. I would not recommend them for rough road surfaces. First week I hit a pothole and not 1 but 2 of them were destroyed by sidewall blowouts. Replaced under road hazard warranty but beware there's a serious tradeoff between the low-profile look and summer handling versus price and practicality. I am sort of regretting them given the road conditions in the northeast US. I'd probably go with the PS4 SUV on 20's just for the reliability factor.

Thank you to everyone on this thread for the helpful tips and comments. I pulled the trigger on PS4's for my Model X P100D in early May and I've been very happy with them. I have them on a summer set of 22" HRE wheels.

The PS4's stick to the road incredibly well in any summer weather. Very responsive and impressive tire when I push my P100D. There is almost zero tire noise vs. my old Conti tires that were very noisy. Range efficiency has been better vs. previous Conti tires I had. The only slight negative I would give them is the price - the tires alone are around $1600 (plus tax/install). In this case though, I think you get what you pay for.

In summary - I highly recommend the Pilot Sport 4S tires and until I experience some kind of issues, I will stick with these for the future. They come with 3yr flat tire assistance, plus a 30k mile warranty. I'm hoping I can get at least 3-4 summers out of them.

Attachments

• IMG_6510.jpg
    IMG_6510.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 122
Here’s my experience with Michelin Pilot 4S. have a ‘16 X P100D, 105k miles. Sofar I have only been using the OEM 22” Pirellis with mixed results. I hesitated in spending $2k for the Michelins. Have about 1500 miles on the Michelins now. I am a pretty critical driver and drive a lot. All I can say is WOW. Performance seems to be about same. But the Pilot 4S are super quiet. Almost amazingly so. Especially on concrete Freeways. Also on my weekly runs from Palm Springs to OC I have noticed I arrive at the office with a greater % remaning on the battery. After a few weeks now I have noticed that i gain around 5-7% in range with the Michelin’s. It basically takes me back to the range I had when the car was new. It does make sense. Noise is friction/energy so less noise is less friction and more range. I am not easily impressed but there is a reason Michelin gets away charging so much more for these tires. If you can get over the $2k then I can highly recommend the switch to Michelin Pilot 4S.

Thank you to everyone on this thread for the helpful tips and comments. I pulled the trigger on PS4's for my Model X P100D in early May and I've been very happy with them. I have them on a summer set of 22" HRE wheels.

The PS4's stick to the road incredibly well in any summer weather. Very responsive and impressive tire when I push my P100D. There is almost zero tire noise vs. my old Conti tires that were very noisy. Range efficiency has been better vs. previous Conti tires I had. The only slight negative I would give them is the price - the tires alone are around $1600 (plus tax/install). In this case though, I think you get what you pay for.

In summary - I highly recommend the Pilot Sport 4S tires and until I experience some kind of issues, I will stick with these for the future. They come with 3yr flat tire assistance, plus a 30k mile warranty. I'm hoping I can get at least 3-4 summers out of them.

Are you referring to the Continental DWS tires in your comparison?

Also, post pics of your full car. Those wheels looks great!