Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on Uberturbines- 265/35 & 275/35R21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s the benefit of 275 over 265 on the front? I consider myself a smart guy but tire sizes leave me befuddled every time I try to understand them.
275 is a more ideal size. The stock sizing that Tesla uses is actually not ideal at all and too stretched. Refer to chart below. The effect or downside to stretched tires is that you literally have no curb protection with the rim overly exposed.

Reactions: majorgearhead
Guys and gals,

275 35 21 front and 295 35 21 rear are the way to go. No reason to do 265 40 front.
It’s splitting hairs, but my hope is that the 265/40 will provide a slightly more comfortable ride than the 275/35. The benefit of a wider tire would seem to be rim protection, but I don’t think that’s as important on the fronts as it is on the rears. I’d rather have a little more sidewall.

Also, the Continentals don’t come in 275, so that’s the ballgame right there for me. 😜

It’s splitting hairs, but my hope is that the 265/40 will provide a slightly more comfortable ride than the 275/35. The benefit of a wider tire would seem to be rim protection, but I don’t think that’s as important on the fronts as it is on the rears. I’d rather have a little more sidewall.

Also, the Continentals don’t come in 275, so that’s the ballgame right there for me. 😜
Honestly, I don't think the tire is going to protect the rim anyways, regardless how wide it is... I have Pilot Sports in 275/40 on my other car, and that tire actually even has a "rim protector", but it didn't do jack when I accidentally clipped a curb in the parking garage. There is way too much torque at point of impact with the metal wheel for the tire to do anything... It will just deform and expose the wheel to the curb. However, with that being said, I will say that I passionately hate the stretched look, and prefer a flush look.

Honestly, I don't think the tire is going to protect the rim anyways, regardless how wide it is... I have Pilot Sports in 275/40 on my other car, and that tire actually even has a "rim protector", but it didn't do jack when I accidentally clipped a curb in the parking garage. There is way too much torque at point of impact with the metal wheel for the tire to do anything... It will just deform and expose the wheel to the curb. However, with that being said, I will say that I passionately hate the stretched look, and prefer a flush look.
Zero rubbing.
I do not see why it would to be honest with you. There’s plenty of clearance. I filmed a video about the tire swap and I will share it shortly

Reactions: mmatlock
Did you try to sell your OEM Pirellis? Wondering if they have any value after I swap them for the AS4s, only see one set for sale in the forums with no activity.
America's Tire told me they'll they buy tires, just depends on age/tread wear and mine should have no issues there. Worth asking your shop if they'll do it. If they offer me anything close to a reasonable price I'll probably take it and run.

America's Tire told me they'll they buy tires, just depends on age/tread wear and mine should have no issues there. Worth asking your shop if they'll do it. If they offer me anything close to a reasonable price I'll probably take it and run.
a lot of the local mom and pop tires places buy used tires too.. It mostly depends on what they already have, and how common your size is... It's been hit or miss for me.

I’ve struck out finding any 21” tires that’ll fit. Anyone know of a good source? I am not keen on being stuck without a car if the weather turns icy.
You should be able to find Continental DWS06 Plus all seasons in the correct sizes, they seem to be more widely available than the Michelins. @Canyonero will be fitting those soon and will update here, stay tuned.

Reactions: torifile
You should be able to find Continental DWS06 Plus all seasons in the correct sizes, they seem to be more widely available than the Michelins. @Canyonero will be fitting those soon and will update here, stay tuned.
Unrelated to the tires in this thread but how are the stock tires on the 19” geminis (continental procontact)? I have some I’m eyeing. I don’t need the best of the best - we haven’t even really gotten ice here in 2 years but I’d like something better than summer tires.

Unrelated to the tires in this thread but how are the stock tires on the 19” geminis (continental procontact)? I have some I’m eyeing. I don’t need the best of the best - we haven’t even really gotten ice here in 2 years but I’d like something better than summer tires.
Not great honestly. If you look at the tire rack ratings, they are like #28 in it's class, which is pretty pathetic. If you are set on a Grand Touring Tire, there is not much in the OEM size that is any good. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus II is pretty good, but it's only V rated instead of W rated, so some tire shops may refuse to install that tire becuase it is below OEM spec. Discount Tire will probably mount it for you as long as you don't have a MYP, as I've seen people sporting Cross Climate 2 on the inductions from Discount Tire, and that is also V rated. (MYP has the speed limiter set higher than the capabilities of a V rated tire)

If you are ok with plus sizing the sidewall a little, you can get a Vredestein Quatrac Pro in 255/50-19. A lot of people have been really happy with this tire. It even has a 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake emblem.

The Conti DWS-06 Plus and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 both come in the OEM Gemini size, and those are fantastic tires...

If you are ok with plus sizing the sidewall a little, you can get a Vredestein Quatrac Pro in 255/50-19. A lot of people have been really happy with this tire. It even has a 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake emblem.

The Conti DWS-06 Plus and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 both come in the OEM Gemini size, and those are fantastic tires...
@torifile: I don't have firsthand experience but before deciding to stick with the 21" Ubers I was interested in the Quatrac Pros after seeing so many positive reviews and watching this vid:

Well now I’m looking at the Continentals. Seems 285 isn’t a thing, only 295 in both 35 and 40. I know some people have been running AS4s in 295/35, but is there any reason not to go with the 295/40? I assume rubbing wouldn’t be an issue since it’s for the rears.
What did you end up going with as far as front and rear sizes?

Not great honestly. If you look at the tire rack ratings, they are like #28 in it's class, which is pretty pathetic. If you are set on a Grand Touring Tire, there is not much in the OEM size that is any good. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus II is pretty good, but it's only V rated instead of W rated, so some tire shops may refuse to install that tire becuase it is below OEM spec. Discount Tire will probably mount it for you as long as you don't have a MYP, as I've seen people sporting Cross Climate 2 on the inductions from Discount Tire, and that is also V rated. (MYP has the speed limiter set higher than the capabilities of a V rated tire)

I’m certainly not set on anything at all. I’d actually prefer just getting tires on the OEM wheels (21” in my MYP). I just hadn’t been able to find any in my size. Looks like the Continental DWS06 Plus is a winner. I just need to figure out the correct size.

What did you end up going with as far as front and rear sizes?
I got the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 in 265/40/21 front and 295/35/21 rear after seeing @MJP.P3D- and a few others post this size works well for extra curb protection (and because I couldn't find the 285/40/21s anywhere in N. America). I've had a hell of a time finding the Michelins in any size that fits the 21" Ubers.

I believe @Canyonero is fitting the DWS06+ in 265/40/21 front and 295/40/21 rear. We're all anxious to confirm that rear size fits since I don't think we've seen it confirmed by anyone yet.

If I was starting my search today, I'd order the Contis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canyonero