Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport EV [tires]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you're missing my point here. You're correct in saying that most "enthusiasts" didn't know about rollout before they knew about Tesla, but I don't think that justifies the fact that Tesla uses a different standard of measurement across their lineup to purposely mislead customers. That's like advertising one car's top speed as "300" and another's as "162", then clarifying in fine print that their measurements are 300kmh and 162mph (I'm exaggerating but I hope you get the point).

Sure, people who care about performance specs are more inclined to buy the performance model (and I own a Model 3 Performance), but I'd still take the difference between the 0-60 times into consideration in order to justify the price difference between the two trims. Either measure both with rollout, or both without. It's misleading.
It's not misleading. They state that some cars measure times with the rollout and others do not. what would be misleading is if they said that all times do not include the rollout, but then some of the cars actually did include it.

You're trying to assert that Tesla is misleading people by literally telling them more (and precise) information than other manufacturers do, and that is very amusing.

The choice to do it that way is inherently misleading. It’s an assumption that many won’t read the fine print, or not understand it if they do. It’s a tactical choice. One that works. It’s also in the fine print for a reason. Hell, the Michelin posted print seen earlier in this thread is ALSO fine print. Do you think, just maybe, they chose to compare it to the PS on an SUV because that yielded 10%? Where other comparisons yielded less? Why didn’t they compare it against several and average? Because this is marketing 101.

They chose to put apples to oranges, specifically in a metric that relates to the sale of the vehicle. It’s not that dissimilar to not mentioning the range loss on the performance is specifically due to the wheel/tires package, although that is at least more fair as the performance is now only available with the 20s (where before there was a M3P- option).

You do also seem to forget that when you go to the Tesla’s site, the price you see has “potential savings” in it by default. Making it look cheaper than it actually is. That’s the default setting... not an accident.

Tesla is smart. So smart and subtle that apparently you don’t even see it.

Their support responded to my inquiry about sport EV tires for my MY.

Attachments

• EDC72CC7-F93F-48DC-A331-D0F4EF18288E.jpeg
    EDC72CC7-F93F-48DC-A331-D0F4EF18288E.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 211
This is my take as well. I just see that as, well, intentionally misleading
Sure I guess. But that's like saying putting something as $1.99 instead of $2.00 is misleading and it is. The rollout time is an official way they do time at the drag strip. The normal 0-60 is well "normal". So this will trick most people just like $1.99 tricks people in to thinking it's $1.00.

Reactions: GoergeJetson
Sure I guess. But that's like saying putting something as $1.99 instead of $2.00 is misleading and it is. The rollout time is an official way they do time at the drag strip. The normal 0-60 is well "normal". So this will trick most people just like $1.99 tricks people in to thinking it's $1.00.
It’s more like saying one item is 1.99* and the other is 2.50**

*plus tax
**tax already included

then saying see... they are 51 cents different...

C'mon Michelin! My LR RWD's 19" Contis have only got about 5-6k miles left. Need these to come out and be reviewed so they can be my next set!

Better hope you can make it until August.

And want one of the following sizes. So pissed they aren't making one compatible with the Model 3 Performance 20's. DUMB!

255/45R19
235/45R20
255/40R20
255/35R21
275/35R21

This information is direct from Michelin via their online help chat last week.

Better hope you can make it until August.

And want one of the following sizes. So pissed they aren't making one compatible with the Model 3 Performance 20's. DUMB!
I'm 99.9999999% sure the Tesla Spec Pilot Sport 4S is the same tire already as it has very unique characteristics compared to similar size 4S and this is why it wasn't a priority to release a Pilot Sport EV in this size.

Reactions: dfwatt
I'm 99.9999999% sure the Tesla Spec Pilot Sport 4S is the same tire already as it has very unique characteristics compared to similar size 4S and this is why it wasn't a priority to release a Pilot Sport EV in this size.

I'm 99.9999% sure you're incorrect, and that the Tesla spec only has to do with the acoustic foam.

For starters, you can see that the tread is somewhat different on the outer tread blocks:

4W-4823-1280x640.jpg

mi_pilot_sport_4s_full.jpg

I'm 99.9999% sure you're incorrect, and that the Tesla spec only has to do with the acoustic foam.

For starters, you can see that the tread is somewhat different on the outer tread blocks:

4W-4823-1280x640.jpg

mi_pilot_sport_4s_full.jpg

Look at the specs of the 235/35/20 Tesla Spec Pilot Sport 4S, with an 8.8" tread width it's close to a standard 255 for contact patch while maintaining the aero profile of a 235 tire (which is why people scrape their wheels up all of the time), find me another 235 tire that comes close to that measured tread width. So obviously the differences are deeper than just foam.

Also let’s compare pics using an actual Tesla Spec 4S, you’re getting worked up over what appear to be molding lines lol

DC0535A3-C40F-440B-86DF-286C6E36C40E.jpeg