Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

Anyone use Pilot Supersports in a 285/30/21 for the rear on a staggered P85+ setup?

Was looking for alternatives to the Ps2 and this seemed to work. Hankook Evo2 don't meet the weight rating and Discount tire not willing to put them on the car.

Thanks!!

That's pretty dumb of the tire shop.

Michelin: 100Y = 1,764 lbs/tire
Hankook: 98Y = 1,653 lbs/tire

Even the heaviest Model S will be no more than 2,500 lbs on the rear axle, or 1,250 lbs per tire.

I had discount tire install Hankook tires on my P85+ and they never mentioned the load rating. Maybe go to another discount tire store?

Thank you all for the advice and help.
I thought about going to a different Discount Tire as well but the one down the street has worked on many Model S's.

Also heard about the Pilot Super Sports coming out this Summer. I wonder if I can temporarily put the 245/35/21 Conti DW that came with the car onto the rear 9" rims? That might work until the PSS come out? Only thing is I don't want the profile to be any lower at the risk of damaging the rims.

Thanks again all!

I emailed Michelin about the staggered 21" fitment (245/35/r21 front and 265/35/21 rear) yesterday and got this reply.

"Thank you for your email and your interest in the Pilot Super Sport tires.

We do show a plan to launch both sizes in the PSS for Tesla later this year and a date for these tires will be announced as soon as it is available. You are welcome to check back with us periodically or with your local Tesla dealer (they may be able to provide you with a more accurate timeline once they launch) for availability"

I didnt ask about the 19" however the 255/45/19 are listed as currently available and only 1.1% larger then the stock 19 wheels at 28" vs 27.7" on the stock 245 tires

I was told that all new S orders w/ 21" will now come with staggered PSSs. Already saw a couple of cars in Fremont with this setup...
IMG_2179.JPG
IMG_2181.JPG
IMG_2183.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy
I had PSS tires on my previous car and really liked them. However make sure you never travel on snow ever... I am in South Carolina which doesn't really snow... However on the rare days that it does... PSS has 0 traction. Just getting out of my driveway was a lot of work and the car would just slip on the street. So make sure you don't drive your PSS tires to any potential snow conditions.

That makes sense, its listed as a Summer Tire and they are designed for dry and wet conditions only. I've had summer tires on my car for a few years now and have been very happy with them in dry and wet conditions. I agree the rubber and tread pattern is not designed for winter driving temps nor would I suggest trying to drive in those conditions!