Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MYP Feb 11th at the Grand Rapids SC. Car came with a small dent/scratch on the front driver door sill.

GR SC was very flexible. Allowing me to delay delivery for it to be repaired locally, or accept delivery and take loaner for 1 week while it is in repair, or accept delivery and have it fixed at a later date.

I chose to have it fixed later.

One other interesting thing about the deliver is the alignment was off. On the way back to Kalamazoo, it was tracking funny down the highway. I made an appointment back in GR on the following Monday, and they found the toe and the camber were off. Grand Rapids SC provided a free alignment.

Got a quote of like $740 to install a NEMA 14-50 plug 25ft away from the panel.

Consumers Energy/DTE provide $500 credit for Chargepoint or Juicebox level 2 charger. I purchased the Chargepoint unit, but need to have it installed before I can submit for the $500 credit.

Took a road trip this weekend from Portage to Grand Haven and back. Left the house with 81% SOC, or about 245 miles range. I thought this would be sufficient, as it is about 100mi/one way. Had to stop at the Hudsonville supercharger, as we pulled in with 35mi of range. This was with temps at 35 degrees, and strong winds.

All in all, a great purchase.

I have a 5.79kW solar array with net metering. I will be watching my monthly bills to see if I finally start to consume more electric than I produce. If I charge during Consumers Energy super off peak period (11pm to 6AM), the rate is 7cents/kWh. From 2-7pm, the rate is 14.9cents/kWh. Financially, the more I produce (and offset) during 2-7pm, the more credits I earn. Really happy I went solar first, then EV.
What is your solar system setup? Who makes it and what was the total installed costs? Curious!

I’m in Plainwell, MI ordered a MYP about March 11th. It is Blue/White, FSD with Tow Hitch. Currently my delivery date is may 20th - June 24th.

I have most of my accessories and my Gen 3 wall charger installed and ready to go!

Has anyone done a custom vanity plate in MI? How/when did you do that?

Reactions: TheWB
I’m in Plainwell, MI ordered a MYP about March 11th. It is Blue/White, FSD with Tow Hitch. Currently my delivery date is may 20th - June 24th.

I have most of my accessories and my Gen 3 wall charger installed and ready to go!

I have a theory that they try to group and ship these geographically. I ordered a few days after you. No FSD or tow. I bet they come in at the same time. Maybe you will drag mine forward a few weeks or a month.

I like the color of the new plates as I am a Michigan Grad. But the slogan is weird. Winter - Water - Land? I thought it was Winter Wonderland? If I had a vanity plate it would be "FAST AF BOI!" Don't think that would fit.

We joke about possible bumperstickers that would cause others to be perplexed. "Climate change = fake news" is my fav idea so far.

I have a theory that they try to group and ship these geographically. I ordered a few days after you. No FSD or tow. I bet they come in at the same time. Maybe you will drag mine forward a few weeks or a month.

I like the color of the new plates as I am a Michigan Grad. But the slogan is weird. Winter - Water - Land? I thought it was Winter Wonderland? If I had a vanity plate it would be "FAST AF BOI!" Don't think that would fit.

We joke about possible bumperstickers that would cause others to be perplexed. "Climate change = fake news" is my fav idea so far.
Yea hopefully we get delivered soon! Can’t wait. The plate says Water-Winter Wonderland.https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-96435_1595_1607-573184--,00.html Pretty much all of the teslas I see driving around have one LOL maybe I am just noticing it more.

What is your solar system setup? Who makes it and what was the total installed costs? Curious!

5.79kw system. Got a SolarEdge inverter (Enphase is the other major manufacturer), and I think JinkoSolar 310w panels. Not sure what kind of racking system I have.

Modern Mill solar installed it. They're out of Fort Wayne, and have offices in Grand Rapids, Detroit, Chicago. Prices with solar is tough; it's always getting cheaper. Modern Mill had a solar loan program with a 30yr loan that was as competitive as my mortgage rate. This made the monthly solar loan cheaper than my average electric bill. I also received a 30% tax credit. The total system cost was like $27k (before 30% tax credit). Keep in mind this was 3-4 years ago. I suspect Modern Mill purchases interest rate point discounts to get rates as low as they do. At the time, unsecured loans were like 8-9%, 30yr fixed rate was 3.49-3.99% and my solar loan was 3.79%. After receiving the tax credit, I paid down the loan.

If you are comfortable with roofing, you can install your own array and save a ton. Just need to hire an electrician to hook it up. Half the cost of my array was labor. There's tons of wholesalers that sell kits.

Totally worth it. Even on overcast days like we've had recently, I can produce over 25kWh. A Model Y battery is 75kWh. So even on overcast days I can produce more than 110mi of range. Peak summer days I can produce around 43kWh. 110mi of range could be 2-4 gallons of gasoline; you could argue I'm saving $10-20 in gasoline costs. But I'm really avoiding paying electric costs of 25 x .07 = $1.75.

Net metering and time of use rates work in my favor. The grid is my battery, essentially. Consumers Energy pays me for excess energy, at the time of use rate. During peak periods, I generate more power than I need, even in summer. They pay 15c/kWh for it. Then I charge at midnight during super off peak period at 7c/kWh. You're able to take advantage of a little arbitrage.

IMO, it is worth it. Utility rates never get cheaper. The more they increase, the faster the system pays for itself. Switching to an EV just helps pay for the array that much quicker.

Call around and get some quotes. You will be surprised at the amount of options out there. You don't have to get a solar loan like I did. I just wanted to outright own the system and it's output.

Worth knowing; your system size will be limited by the utility company. It can't be larger than 110% of your last 12 months of energy use. Knowing this, I had a extra larger inverter installed (it could support a system almost twice as large). This gave me room to add to the system, without buying a new inverter (inverters are one of the most expensive components in a solar system). This stinks if you are planning on adding a couple EV and pool in the coming months / years, but want a solar array now. I still produce more than I consume, but it's only because of night time charging. If I charged during super peak periods, I would quickly deplete my net metering credits.

Last edited:
fyi - winter wonderland plate has a 6 character limit. Mackinac Bridge and Standard White plate has 7 character limit.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors and TheWB
Krobbler, I’m right around your timeframe too so hopefully we both get our cars sooner than later.

On a side note, it looks like reviver license plate is now available for Michigan as an option from their website. Just trying to find a promo code so I don’t pay $800 for a digital license plate. Anyone have any thoughts on this or look into it, I’ve only seen one other one in Michigan. ??

Krobbler, I’m right around your timeframe too so hopefully we both get our cars sooner than later.

On a side note, it looks like reviver license plate is now available for Michigan as an option from their website. Just trying to find a promo code so I don’t pay $800 for a digital license plate. Anyone have any thoughts on this or look into it, I’ve only seen one other one in Michigan. ??
Wow. Never heard of these. Just watched a YouTube video. I wonder how that screen holds up to salt. Also wonder if they get stolen.

I am not seeing anywhere on the SoS where they have officially announced it, only news articles saying that it was happening. I'm curious about it for sure. I am not sure how much I would want a GPS enabled system, however. It seems like a small jump to traffic fines simply by tracking speed.

I am not seeing anywhere on the SoS where they have officially announced it, only news articles saying that it was happening. I'm curious about it for sure. I am not sure how much I would want a GPS enabled system, however. It seems like a small jump to traffic fines simply by tracking speed.
It’s legit, they are live at several car dealerships. BMW Ann Arbor is one, just looked like before it came live on the website you had to buy it from the dealership/buy their car. Now it looks like we can do it.

I think currently only the battery one for Michigan so no gpa option yet. Which is fine with me…. And to the salt question…. Not sure since they were public in Arizona and California before they never had to compete with the Michigan salted roads

It’s legit, they are live at several car dealerships. BMW Ann Arbor is one, just looked like before it came live on the website you had to buy it from the dealership/buy their car. Now it looks like we can do it.

I think currently only the battery one for Michigan so no gpa option yet. Which is fine with me…. And to the salt question…. Not sure since they were public in Arizona and California before they never had to compete with the Michigan salted roads
You need the GPS on it so when someone steels it you can go to their house and ask for your plate back. 😏

I'd like to see what slogans they have approved for Michigan and if any of them appease my dark sense of humor.