Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Micro brakes when cars pass or when using lane change

Do you experience micro breaks?

• Never

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • when a car passes

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • when using lane change assist

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • when using lane change assist or a car passes

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I do that?

(The places are on the DC beltway, so zillions if Teslas must pass by every day)
I don't drive Tesla but there is supposed to be a quick bug report button or command even while you're driving.
A zillions Teslas passing a destroyed lane divider crash absorption structure over multiple days didn't help the distracted Model X driver that drove straight into it, any braking would have made a life and death difference.
Let's all calm down a bit when it comes to machine learning.
If such micro events were self diagnosed on board triggering a bug fix notification to the mother ship, how many might they have gotten by now then, since when? Tesla needs to be told of bugs that matter. In my country braking on the highway if prohibited unless an emergency. Log 100,000 homologation miles, get one micro brake event and all your home work is ripped up.

My local SC advised me to notate the date and time of the incident and they would check my logs to see what's goin on. I'm going there tomorrow with a list.

I just did this and ended up with nothing useful. I gave them dozens of examples of this screwing up badly and they gave me the answer I posted in this thread:

"Fleet Speed" (mis-)feature in 2019.8.6+

This is not "micro-braking"; this is full-on braking, which is another problem people are having with recent releases.

I just did this and ended up with nothing useful. I gave them dozens of examples of this screwing up badly and they gave me the answer I posted in this thread:

"Fleet Speed" (mis-)feature in 2019.8.6+

This is not "micro-braking"; this is full-on braking, which is another problem people are having with recent releases.
With these kinds of downdates, I wonder to which extent this version was tested in the various cars. Are the developers and testers aware of it, and then push the update anyway?
I'm by no means a testing protocol expert but I'd love so see how other brands do it. (those who don't have the luxury to OTA oopsie within days, for instance)

I'm by no means a testing protocol expert but I'd love so see how other brands do it. (those who don't have the luxury to OTA oopsie within days, for instance)

Other auto brands:
(a) Do not release "beta" products to consumers, ever.
(b) Do not sell and accept payment for features that are not complete (and in the case of FSD, may never be delivered)
(c) Finish testing before releasing and don't count on future software updates to fix bugs.

Many people say they prefer the Tesla model because our cars "get better over time", and there is some sense to this argument. However, Tesla takes this to an extreme and routinely releases poorly tested and poorly thought out bug-features, which they later roll back. Remember back in November/December they changed TACC so that if you disengaged Autosteer by turning the wheel, the TACC set speed would reset itself to the current speed? They rolled that out without thinking it through, and then a couple of software releases later after many complaints, they removed that "feature". Presumably it was a safety feature? If it was so important for safety, why did they remove it, and what do we get in its place? Does that mean our cars are now known to be unsafe and Tesla doesn't plan to fix it? Safety features can't be experimented with this way in a released product with more than half a million cars on the road in the hands of consumers rather than professional testers -- consumer-testers who are not even told what features they are testing and what they should watch out for.

Basically they use paying customers as beta testers. They don't tell us what "features" are in a software update so that we can decide whether to update or not to any given version, and they don't let us opt out of most of these new "features". None of this has to be this way in order to remain a nimble and innovative company. They could have more reasonable policies and testing/release procedures, and our cars could still "get better over time". But this is their culture -- disrespect your customers, use them as free testing labor to make your product better, always push the envelope of safety to see how far you can push it, walk back later only if necessary.

Reactions: am_dmd and Cloxxki
I can't say I've experienced Microbraking when being passed, but I've definitely had the slowing while doing an auto-lane change.
I very often have micro brakes.

As I recall in previous years, overtake was always immediately followed by mild overtake acceleration and not braking, in fact its in the manual or was before perhaps they updated that.

Most if not all here are next Gen cars with more then one camera. My car is AP-1 and yes, microbraking on lane change(its was not this way until recently updated). I hate it, its frustrating and I'm not sure if the brake lights come on, I assume they do(I'm busy dealing with the microbraking incident to look).

There is no reason in any of the instances I can see for it to do this. Huge space between car in front and nothing behind for a long way.

Big maybe here is perhaps I am waiting to long before asking my AP-1 car to change lanes? Perhaps it does not like how close I am getting, I really don't think so, 4 car lengths from car in front by settings

Last edited:
Do the brake lights come on during “phantom braking”?

I do hope so! The braking is pretty long and heavy but sincerely don't know. Please note, that is with "phantom breaking" while just driving straight and suddenly the car for no obviously reason brakes.

Micro brakes are very short resulting in 1-3km speed drops followed by acceleration. If brake lights wouldn't go on in all cases I think that probably would be ok. Same an ICE car just let go of the gas which would not light the brake lights while slowing down.

I do hope so! The braking is pretty long and heavy but sincerely don't know. Please note, that is with "phantom breaking" while just driving straight and suddenly the car for no obviously reason brakes.

Micro brakes are very short resulting in 1-3km speed drops followed by acceleration. If brake lights wouldn't go on in all cases I think that probably would be ok. Same an ICE car just let go of the gas which would not light the brake lights while slowing down.

The "phantom braking" is sometimes pretty severe on my MS. It does concern me, especially if another car is following me a little too closely.

Reactions: rnortman
I am on 2019.8.5 and this happens to me all of the time. One other post in another thread indicated that the system is spooked because of road shadows as well. I think that's true. One bad thing is it really scares the crap out of any passengers in the car, not to mention irritating people in back of you.