Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Atlantic Superchargers (speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It always surprises me to see people in areas with so many superchargers talking about wanting more superchargers when there are huge sections of the country that are still difficult to drive through.
I'd say that most people rarely travel long distances. It makes sense that your average EV owner puts priority on local/urban/suburban charging over remote charging, especially considering that most (certainly not all) common interstate travel routes are fairly well covered.

I travel long distances a lot and I appreciate any Supercharger that Tesla is willing to build. There's definitely a balance between filling in the remote gaps and beefing up the existing infrastructure in busy cities. Tesla has an enormous amount of fleet data at their disposal, so I'm reluctant to question their master plan.

Aside from those few remaining owners with free supercharging, who wants to pay more at a Supercharger instead of charging at home? Don't count apartment and condo dwellers, as their situations are complicated.
Every time I post on my local Facebook group of a “coming soon supercharger” there is always folks saying they wish they had one in X city. I have one 5 min from my house that I drive by daily and never need it.

Reactions: PStewart
Or even at a specific location so they can stop there for lunch inconvenienced on their travels. The entitlement is unreal.
Are you lost? The question posted to the "Mid-Atlantic Supercharger locations" subforum asked where in West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia, DC, Delaware and Pennsylvania people would like to see a supercharger. No one is demanding they are entitled to anything. Just answering the question asked.
It's not our fault that your shitty state lacks the initiative and infrastructure to make it convenient for you to own an EV. Maybe handle your own business before trashing others.

• Love
Reactions: fsb1 and preilly44
Does anyone know if the new Sheetz being built in Wilkes Barre at Kidder & Mundy Street is planning to have Superchargers? This would be a big help to me. I can never make the Roundtrip from Harrisburg to WB w/o level 2 charging. I can't find any planning/zoning notes for the location.

Does anyone know if the new Sheetz being built in Wilkes Barre at Kidder & Mundy Street is planning to have Superchargers? This would be a big help to me. I can never make the Roundtrip from Harrisburg to WB w/o level 2 charging. I can't find any planning/zoning notes for the location.
There’s a new thread for a Supercharger coming in the area. I don’t think it’s exactly for where you speaking, but close. I’ve been waiting a couple years to see some actively on the I-81 corridor through NY and PA.

It always surprises me to see people in areas with so many superchargers talking about wanting more superchargers when there are huge sections of the country that are still difficult to drive through.

An apartment dweller in a city might not be concered with driving through remote areas when their primary concern is finding convenient charging near home. Several metro area Supercharger locations are overrun with Hertz rentals and Uber drivers - Denver and Las Vegas come to mind immediately - so the idea of wanting more city Superchargers seems pretty reasonable.

An apartment dweller in a city might not be concered with driving through remote areas when their primary concern is finding convenient charging near home. Several metro area Supercharger locations are overrun with Hertz rentals and Uber drivers - Denver and Las Vegas come to mind immediately - so the idea of wanting more city Superchargers seems pretty reasonable.

Certainly. I also wouldn't own an EV if I couldn't charge it overnight where I park everyday.

I personally would like to see more on the Route 13 corridor between Salisbury, MD and Virginia Beach, VA. Once you get past Salisbury, there isn't much of anything until you hit Exmore, VA - which is a pretty long, barren stretch.

On a side note, I don't think people necessarily want superchargers near where they *live*. One of the biggest barriers to EV adoption is charging for road trips. The more SCs there are to support long distance drives, the better the chances for increased EV usage as the charging issue/range anxiety is greatly reduced. I'm also one of those who charges at home and often drives right past the SCs near my house - but I also have an appreciation for those who want to see more options. More opportunities to charge in more locations is never a bad thing IMO. Just my two cents.

I personally would like to see more on the Route 13 corridor between Salisbury, MD and Virginia Beach, VA. Once you get past Salisbury, there isn't much of anything until you hit Exmore, VA - which is a pretty long, barren stretch.

On a side note, I don't think people necessarily want superchargers near where they *live*. One of the biggest barriers to EV adoption is charging for road trips. The more SCs there are to support long distance drives, the better the chances for increased EV usage as the charging issue/range anxiety is greatly reduced. I'm also one of those who charges at home and often drives right past the SCs near my house - but I also have an appreciation for those who want to see more options. More opportunities to charge in more locations is never a bad thing IMO. Just my two cents.
That’s changing, at least for Tesla owners. Road trips aren’t the problem anymore, and more and more people without home charging are buying EVs and looking for convenient charging near home.

I'd like to see a proper Supercharger convenient to BWI airport near Balt MD. There's one on the way from the South, but it's a Destination charger, so only 75 kW. I've always thought they were a pretty silly idea. It's also listed as "heavily used", so it would make sense to upgrade them. Otherwise, I have to go past the airport, charge, then double back to the airport.

The airport has some level 3 charging, but I don't have the new adapter. This would be the only place it would be used. I've talked to the airport, but they seem to be focused on getting grants and less on what their customers need.

Heck, a level 1 charger would be perfect for use in the long term lot while parked. I don't think the airport person even knows what a level 1 charger is.

Great news, they're coming! A new WaWa is being built in Pocomoke City, MD which will have 8 chargers. Probably a couple years away unfortunately. I wouldnt be surprised if we got chargers near Chincoteague, Va either.

I really would love to see chargers in Emporia. There is nothing on route 58 coming from Va Beach/Norfolk area.

Reactions: Thinkje