Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range Model 3. What trim is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I go to these websites shopping around they ask for the trim of my vehicle .Only options are usually base or long range. What is the mid range M3 considered? Just want to make sure when purchasing wheels and tires. Or does it really matter?

The mid-range no longer exists so would only be relevant if you were shopping for a used car.
Had a premium interior and in between battery pack size, was RWD only (larger battery than SR, smaller than the one used on the long range cars)

I would use same recommendations as the SR+ if you currently own one and are thinking of replacing tires/wheels.

• Helpful
Reactions: borijess3 and IdaX
Some misinformation going on here. Based on what I've been told by telsa employees, the mid range has same battery pack as SR and SR+. It has the same features (fog lamps, premium interior, etc.) as long range rear wheel drive just with SR+ pack with software unlock to 260 mile range.

I believe this is incorrect. My understanding was the MR was an LR pack with fewer cells. The SR+ pack wasn't available when the MR was released. Also, the SR+ pack does not have any locked capacity, so there is nothing to unlock in order to give it 264 miles of rated range like the MR has.

As for wheels and tires - they're the same as everything else except for the P3D+, which has 20" wheels.

Some misinformation going on here. Based on what I've been told by telsa employees, the mid range has same battery pack as SR and SR+. It has the same features (fog lamps, premium interior, etc.) as long range rear wheel drive just with SR+ pack with software unlock to 260 mile range.

Funny the post that mentions misinformation is the one that provides it
Mid range car came out before the SR+ battery pack existed

What they told me when I bought mine, end of first quarter 2019, was that it was the rwd lr, but with a smaller battery pack so they could offer a less expensive car. Effectively replaced by the Sr and Sr plus, which have different packs than the mr.

Yes, it’s a LR RWD car with fewer battery cells. Otherwise it’s the same car. Some used car sites may not have the MR trim listed since it was only available for a short time. That is why they refer to it around here as LEMR. Limited Edition Mid Range.

When I go to these websites shopping around they ask for the trim of my vehicle .Only options are usually base or long range. What is the mid range M3 considered? Just want to make sure when purchasing wheels and tires. Or does it really matter?
The MR is "Full Premium Interior" - same as the LR RWD/AWD. As others have mentioned, it was a way to get a less expensive model out ~6 months earlier than the SR/SR+ by not changing anything on the production lines and just not populating all of the cells in the LR pack. Even at the time they knew it was temporary as even then Elon referred to it as a LEMuR (Limited Edition Mid Range).

I believe TODAY, if you had to take your MR in for a battery replacement, you would get a software-locked LR battery.

I believe this is incorrect. My understanding was the MR was an LR pack with fewer cells. The SR+ pack wasn't available when the MR was released. Also, the SR+ pack does not have any locked capacity, so there is nothing to unlock in order to give it 264 miles of rated range like the MR has.

that's correct. SR pack is the only locked capacity 3

I was debating b/t the MR and SR and had orders for both. Glad I waited since 40 miles of range arent worth the ++ $$. I believe the MR was $40K w/o AP.

that's correct. SR pack is the only locked capacity 3

I was debating b/t the MR and SR and had orders for both. Glad I waited since 40 miles of range arent worth the ++ $$. I believe the MR was $40K w/o AP.
When I purchased (Jan 2019) it was $44k without autopilot. You have to also remember during the time they offered the MR, they did not offer the LR RWD. So the only options at the time were the MR at $44k or the LR AWD at something like $50k.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
When I purchased (Jan 2019) it was $44k without autopilot. You have to also remember during the time they offered the MR, they did not offer the LR RWD. So the only options at the time were the MR at $44k or the LR AWD at something like $50k.

What a difference two months made. When I bought my car in March 2019 the MR had dropped to $40K, and the LR RWD was reintroduced for $43K. And sales were slow so they upgraded me to 19” wheels on my LR RWD for free.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
What a difference two months made. When I bought my car in March 2019 the MR had dropped to $40K, and the LR RWD was reintroduced for $43K. And sales were slow so they upgraded me to 19” wheels on my LR RWD for free.

Yes 1Q 2019 was interesting as far as dropping Tesla pricing. No longer dropping prices though as some had predicted with credit expiring.

The MR is "Full Premium Interior" - same as the LR RWD/AWD. As others have mentioned, it was a way to get a less expensive model out ~6 months earlier than the SR/SR+ by not changing anything on the production lines and just not populating all of the cells in the LR pack. Even at the time they knew it was temporary as even then Elon referred to it as a LEMuR (Limited Edition Mid Range).

I believe TODAY, if you had to take your MR in for a battery replacement, you would get a software-locked LR battery.

interesting, can you pay to get it unlocked? If something happened to my battery pack and it had to be replaced (under warranty of course) I won't mind paying up to $5k to have a LR RWD car. I actually wanted the LR RWD car but when I bought my Mid-Range, that trim wasn't available.

interesting, can you pay to get it unlocked? If something happened to my battery pack and it had to be replaced (under warranty of course) I won't mind paying up to $5k to have a LR RWD car. I actually wanted the LR RWD car but when I bought my Mid-Range, that trim wasn't available.
I don't know. I would be willing to pay for the upgrade as well because, same as you, I wanted LR RWD and it was not offered.