Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that some people are being offered home delivery, even for some in California. I have to drive an hour to Fremont for my pick-up. I asked if I could have to the car transferred to my local Service Center for convenience (not even asking for home delivery), but no dice. I guess they're making all Bay Area folks go to Fremont?

No, they won't LET Bay Area folks go to Fremont. Home delivery was the only option available for me. Zip code 95119 in San Jose,, 30 minutes from the factory
Well, that's weird. I'd have preferred home delivery or delivery to my nearest Service Center than an hour's drive to Fremont, especially after reading stories about long waits there or not being able to locate a particular VIN among the throng of vehicles. The only other delivery option offered me was Rocklin, which is an additional half hour away.

2.607 0-30mph

Not bad but would not have minded a bit faster. This is off-topic but here's the data from InsideEVs

2016 Chevy Volt
0-30: 2.6 seconds (GM)
0-60: 8.4 seconds (GM)

2011-2015 Chevy Volt
EV 0-30: 3.4 seconds (edmunds)
EV 0-60: 9.2 seconds (edmunds)
GAS 0-30: 3.6 seconds (edmunds)
GAS 0-60: 9.0 seconds (edmunds)

2014 Spark EV
0-30: 3.2 seconds (car and driver)
0-60: 7.9 seconds (car and driver)

Fiat 500e
0-30: 2.8 seconds (car and driver)
0-60: 8.7 seconds (car and driver)

Ford Focus EV
0-30: 4.0 seconds (car and driver)
0-60: 10.1 seconds (car and driver)

Honda Fit EV
0-30: 3.1 seconds (car and driver)
0-60: 8.5 seconds (car and driver)

2013 Nissan Leaf
0-30: 3.4 seconds (car and driver)
0-60: 10.2 seconds (car and driver)

Smart Fourtwo EV
0-30: 3.1 seconds (car and driver)
0-60: 9.8 seconds (car and driver)

Ford C-Max Energi
EV 0-30: 4 seconds (*fotomoto’s youtube video)
EV 0-60: 15 seconds (*fotomoto youtube video)
GAS 0-30: 3.1 seconds (truth about cars)
GAS 0-60: 7.91 seconds (truth about cars)

Ford Fusion Energi
GAS 0-30: 3.1 seconds (car and driver)
GAS 0-60: 8.6 seconds (car and driver)

BMW i3 (BEV version)
0-30: 2.9 seconds (edmunds)
0-60: 6.6 seconds (edmunds)

BMW i8
EV 0-60: 9 seconds (Commenter on InsideEVs)
GAS 0-30: 2.0 seconds (edmunds)
GAS 0-60: 4.5 seconds (edmunds)

Toyota Prius PHEV
EV 0-30: 6 seconds (youtube)
EV 0-60: 27 seconds (youtube)
GAS 0-30: 3.95 seconds (youtube)
GAS 0-60: 9.8 seconds (motor trend)

Tesla Model S P85
0-30: 1.7 seconds (Tesla Motors)
0-60: 4.2 seconds (Tesla Motors)

Mitsubishi i-Miev (USA version)
0-30: 4.3 seconds (Edmunds)
0-60: 14.9 seconds (edmunds)

Kia Soul EV
0-60: 11.2 seconds

• Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85 and Carl_P
OK, so just to clarify a couple of things. Heat: yes, I use heat, set at 70F. Battery balancing: I have charged to full several times now, I think that batteries are probably balanced. Wind conditions: it was a calm day. Ambient temp: ranged from 30F in early morning to 50F in the afternoon. Wheels: original Aerowheel with covers. Regen setting probably does not matter much for my type of driving, but I left it on standard. Terrain: start and finish at home, typical Utah highways with some hills. Nothing crazy.

As a former (recovering) LEAF driver, this range is actually very impressive. As a comparison, 2018 LEAF with advertised range of 150 miles can barely make it from my house to my mother-in-law and back on a cold Sunday when I can drive at around 80 mph both ways. Total distance: 82 miles. Battery left when I get home: about 5-8%. However, on a mild day, driving slower (around 65 mph) I can get my LEAF to do 125 miles (actually did this, had 3% left on arrival, was passed by EVERYONE on the freeway). And no, I could never get 150 miles out of it in real life, as that would require driving at around 55 mph or less with no heat or AC. In contrast, I think that I could do 260 miles in my Model 3 if I tried, just has to be a warmer day and I have to keep my speed below 65 mph.
Thanks @ivan801 for helping to inform how “real world range” works. It’s greatly affected - in an adverse way - by two key factors: speed and temperatures (cold outside means lots of energy/kWh must keep the batteries and humans warm!). As soon as one drives over 65 mph, range goes way down. Likewise cold weather zaps lots of kWhs just to keep the batteries warm and safe. Then cabin heat really sucks the power, too. One helpful trick to get better range is to minimize use of cabin heat while turning on heated seats to stay warm (since these are more efficient and use up fewer kWhs than running cabin heat at 80+ F. Oh, Utah hills also obviously use more energy than flatlands, so not much one can do there short of moving to a less beautiful, non-mountainous, boring location.

Based on my 2.5 years of owning and daily driving 3 EVS (S85, Volt, ELR), they all respond to speed and extreme temps in similar fashion. If you like to drive 80 mph during cold winter temps, you may only get 50% of your EV’s rated range. In the hot summer (using A/C) and driving 80, maybe expect 65-75% of rated range. Slow down to 65 during the spring or fall (no heat or A/C used), and you’ll find days where you’re achieving 100+% of rated range :)

• Informative
Reactions: pdp1 and Carl_P
Well, that's weird. I'd have preferred home delivery or delivery to my nearest Service Center than an hour's drive to Fremont, especially after reading stories about long waits there or not being able to locate a particular VIN among the throng of vehicles. The only other delivery option offered me was Rocklin, which is an additional half hour away.

Adding a data point, I'm in the bay area, live 45 min from the Fremont factory and home delivery was my only option during the order process for an MR as well.

I’m in Dallas as well. Have not heard anything. Placed my order on 10/19 in the afternoon. non reservation holder.

I called local Tesla store to ask about any updates on my order. I was informed that I have to wait for a VIN to be assigned before getting contacted by local ISA