Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Midwest Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered MYLR on 5/24 for pick-up in MI, financing through Alliant. Nothing extra but a coat of grey paint.

Kept getting bumped back but stayed steady for Oct. Now shows Mar-Apr... At this point, I'm about to give up. Called and they said that this is part of the "Tesla experience" and they don't see anything wrong with the order. I'm just so upset, especially since they claimed that we would be able to take delivery of our car "in a few weeks" when we placed the order in-store.
That is brutal. This is why I say anyone who gets a chance to take delivery just do it. If you are worried about a tax credit or whatever, the car will likely hold its value because the demand is high and the wait is so freaking long. I ordered MYP on 9/1 because the guy in the store and online both said 3-4 weeks was realistic. Have a pile of accessories in my garage and an installed charger already. Now my EDD is 11/7-12/5. If they told me to wait until February-March I’d lose my mind.

Ordered MYLR on 5/24 for pick-up in MI, financing through Alliant. Nothing extra but a coat of grey paint.

Kept getting bumped back but stayed steady for Oct. Now shows Mar-Apr... At this point, I'm about to give up. Called and they said that this is part of the "Tesla experience" and they don't see anything wrong with the order. I'm just so upset, especially since they claimed that we would be able to take delivery of our car "in a few weeks" when we placed the order in-store.
This raises all sorts of flags. 10-11 months delivery? The only cars showing Mar-Apr now are the newest orders or with incomplete profiles. Do you have expired financing or trade-in? Sometimes those mess it up and keep you at the end. If so, it's best to put cash and remove trade-in until VIN.

This raises all sorts of flags. 10-11 months delivery? The only cars showing Mar-Apr now are the newest orders or with incomplete profiles. Do you have expired financing or trade-in? Sometimes those mess it up and keep you at the end. If so, it's best to put cash and remove trade-in until VIN.
Is that a thing? We're financing through Alliant but they won't approve a loan until a VIN is assigned apparently - we had a pre-approval when we placed the order but that's since expired and didn't want to reapply until the VIN is assigned.

Every time we ask Tesla, they tell us nothing financing-related is holding up the order. Should I change it to cash, and if so, am I able to update it to financing after VIN assignment?

My profile shows

Prepare for delivery​

Loan​

Change

Financing with Alliant Credit Union
You have elected to finance with Alliant Credit Union.
What's next?
  1. Alliant Credit Union will contact you to share your credit decision or request additional detail regarding your application. Reply back in a timely manner to ensure your vehicle delivery.
  2. You will be informed by Alliant Credit Union, once your financial agreement are finalized and ready for signature.
  3. For questions or assistance, contact 224-296-2570.
If you haven't already submit your application with Alliant Credit Union you can submit here.

Is that a thing? We're financing through Alliant but they won't approve a loan until a VIN is assigned apparently - we had a pre-approval when we placed the order but that's since expired and didn't want to reapply until the VIN is assigned.

Every time we ask Tesla, they tell us nothing financing-related is holding up the order. Should I change it to cash, and if so, am I able to update it to financing after VIN assignment?

My profile shows

Prepare for delivery​

Loan​

Change

What's next?
  1. Alliant Credit Union will contact you to share your credit decision or request additional detail regarding your application. Reply back in a timely manner to ensure your vehicle delivery.
  2. You will be informed by Alliant Credit Union, once your financial agreement are finalized and ready for signature.
If you haven't already submit your application with Alliant Credit Union you can submit here.
I just called and they told me to call back tomorrow to speak to a manager because it seemed like something was screwed up on their end. I wonder if they were trying to schedule the delivery and put me in the back of the queue instead - great!

Reactions: loggedout

That's insane. Something is going on with the May orders. I see every now and then there are folks like you who ordered in May and still not received VIN or an EDD which is reasonable. Where in MI are you picking up your car from?

I just called and they told me to call back tomorrow to speak to a manager because it seemed like something was screwed up on their end. I wonder if they were trying to schedule the delivery and put me in the back of the queue instead - great!
Also, if you are picking it up in Michigan you have to pay for the car in full before it enters MI state. I do not know how your SA let you choose the financing option? I just checked mine and it says cash although I will be financing my car.

My profile shows

Prepare for delivery​

Loan​

Change

What's next?
It has been a thing for some...that's the most frustrating part. It's very inconsistent. For some, expired loans have held them up and others it hasn't. And yes, you will be able to switch from cash to financing later (wait until you receive a VIN). That's been tried and true.

I'm glad you're getting to speak to a manager today. Clearly the others who told you things were okay didn't have the right info. Definitely plead for a priority match of some sort..it seems May and June orders primarily wrapped up in September with a few outliers from June.

Make sure if they offer an inventory or demo or something that they honor your May purchase price. Ordinarily you'd be charged the current price for something like that.

Also, if you are picking it up in Michigan you have to pay for the car in full before it enters MI state. I do not know how your SA let you choose the financing option? I just checked mine and it says cash although I will be financing my car.
It has been a thing for some...that's the most frustrating part. It's very inconsistent. For some, expired loans have held them up and others it hasn't. And yes, you will be able to switch from cash to financing later (wait until you receive a VIN). That's been tried and true.

I'm glad you're getting to speak to a manager today. Clearly the others who told you things were okay didn't have the right info. Definitely plead for a priority match of some sort..it seems May and June orders primarily wrapped up in September with a few outliers from June.

Make sure if they offer an inventory or demo or something that they honor your May purchase price. Ordinarily you'd be charged the current price for something like that.
Thanks y'all. Was picking up in Grand Rapids but they were able to update it to Clarkston (bit closer to me) a month or so ago. I called again today and they wouldn't let me speak to the manager but are "reaching out to the factory." My SA was assigned the ticket and will be looking into it.

Not sure about the financing in MI. My profile shows that I'm financing and they didn't say anything was odd about it - I've called in numerous times thinking that financing was delaying my order but they assured that there is nothing off or left to do on my end...

I'm not optimistic, but I'll follow up in a week. Thanks for the tip about the cash option - I'll see if my SA agent can try that if I nothing else pans out.

Got a happy ending! They couldn’t figure out what happened but matched me to another car with identical build. Payment completed and EDD 10/24-10/30

Hey Illinois folks who’ve picked up their car (or had it delivered)… Question for ya:
Does Tesla handle all the registration and license plate paperwork? Does the DMV mail you the plates and registration? How long does this take to get to you typically, if so?
I’m probably over-complicating things in my head but am I just… waiting for all that stuff? Feels weird to not have to jump through 11 hoops. TIA!