Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Might be returning AWD 3 (advice request)

Should I advise him to return the car (which I hate doing but think it might be best)?

• Yes, have him return the car until Tesla comes out with a longer ranger AWD vehicle

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • No, he'll be fine with broken in 18" aeros in the winter.

Votes: 38 57.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He was driving some big SUV...I'm not sure what it was but he said it got in the low 20mpg range at highway speeds. Unfortunately, he rents a condo in WV so all his charging there is done via 120v outlet in the garage or the supercharger which is a couple blocks away. The super charger there is usually empty so he won't be preventing people from charging but it will be similar priced to gas if he frequently uses the supercharger (which I recommended against).
Is there an electric dryer outlet he could run an extension cord to?

You may want to investigate having him swap out the 120V 15A outlet for a 120V 20A outlet.

This is often a very inexpensive thing to do yet it increases the actual charging rate by nearly 50% with the NEMA 5-20 Tesla UMC pigtail. It’s a cheap way to dramatically improve the charging experience on 120V.
I charge at 12A currently.
How fast would I be charging with 20A outlet?

I charge at 12A currently.
How fast would I be charging with 20A outlet?

Because you can charge at 16A continuous on a 20A circuit the car pulls 1.92 kW instead of 1.44 kW from a 15A circuit (at 12A continuous).

But the charging overhead doesn’t change much at all so in reality you end up delivering 50% more current to the battery pack while charging. Not only is this more efficient, it also provides 6-7 MPH of charging off a 120V outlet. The 5-20 adapter is available as an accessory from Tesla and looks like this:

A567EE65-B21F-4915-8933-13A4FF11CE49.jpeg

Since he lives in NY, I think he should keep the AWD. And in Winter maybe increase that to 40 minute extra Stop.
Since I also live in the same state, I am wondering where the speed limit is anywhere near 80-85MPH... Not saying he shouldn't regularly be driving at that speed, but yes, saying it, since its an accident waiting to happen. If not otherwise posted, the state speed limit is literally 55MPH. I'd get anxiety too if I were cutting off hundreds of cars in the passing lane for hours at a time going 30 miles over on roads that were initially built 120 years ago. This is a great way to end up at the service center for a new wheel alignment after you total your car and buy a new one. Just saying. Also, looking back at this whole thread the 325WH/MI isn't outrageous if hes slamming his foot on the accelerator and never really making use of regen. If hes got creep on or using it like a ICE car this is not totally outside the realm of possibility. Not only that, if hes got Pilot 4S tires on driving the car around like this under 40F, not only can you cause interior damage to the tires, efficiency goes way down. Similarly with the Pirellis if they're winter and hes driving at 60F. I am on the P3D+ with 20" wheels/rims 6,000+ miles and my lifetime WH is around 300WH/MI. That includes experimenting with the car at high speeds and also "lead foot" for maybe the first 1,000 miles. But I can certainly accomplish trips with less usage. Its true the HVAC is very inefficient but once a stable temperature in the cabin is reached it shouldn't add too much. If you want to turn the interior of the car into a sauna in spring, though, maybe thats an issue. I also agree tire pressure should be whatever is on the door. 40 sounds low. I keep mine around 45 as a general rule, but mileage may vary and safety needs to be a very important factor. If hes worried about safety maybe calm down with the mad max driving style? That is the impression I get. If I need to get somewhere, I take into account what the speed limit is and how long its going to take me to get there using Google Maps + any unforeseen possibilities along the way. I don't try to regularly break the state speed limit at speeds in excess of 20 miles per hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: richyrich
My conclusion (without having read every post) is that, in general cold natured people should not buy Teslas. If he cranks the heat in the winter, range will be significantly reduced. Like cut in half. I averaged 250 Wh/mi yesterday coming home fro work in 50 degree temps with the climate control turned off. And that was going over some mountains. Driving 70 mph on flat highway in 25 degree temps with the heat set to 64 degrees (still pretty low), I was using nearly 500 Wh/mi. EPA range calculations do not take using the heat into consideration and the heat destroys range.
PS, I have often wondered if they could run the battery coolant through a heat exchanger like a normal car to produce heat. I would think running at highway speeds, that would work. If you're generating waste heat, why not use it?

My conclusion (without having read every post) is that, in general cold natured people should not buy Teslas. If he cranks the heat in the winter, range will be significantly reduced. Like cut in half. I averaged 250 Wh/mi yesterday coming home fro work in 50 degree temps with the climate control turned off. And that was going over some mountains. Driving 70 mph on flat highway in 25 degree temps with the heat set to 64 degrees (still pretty low), I was using nearly 500 Wh/mi. EPA range calculations do not take using the heat into consideration and the heat destroys range.
PS, I have often wondered if they could run the battery coolant through a heat exchanger like a normal car to produce heat. I would think running at highway speeds, that would work. If you're generating waste heat, why not use it?

My lifetime is 272 wh/mi over winter with AWD Aero’s in the Northeast. I set the heat to what I want (usually 70F) But I don’t blast it and I don’t waste it on preheating. With no heat I’m getting around 230 wh/mi. I typically drive 65 mph though.

Don’t assume 500 wh/mi applies to a 400 mile trip when you might see that on a commute. Might take 20-30 miles for things to settle down. Highest I have seen after it has settled down is 350 wh/mi. Which is essentially 120 wh/mi to “maintain” heat.

350 wh/mi would get you about 171 miles of usable range (80% of the battery capacity).

Reactions: preilly44
My lifetime is 272 wh/mi over winter with AWD Aero’s in the Northeast. I set the heat to what I want (usually 70F) But I don’t blast it and I don’t waste it on preheating. With no heat I’m getting around 230 wh/mi. I typically drive 65 mph though.

Don’t assume 500 wh/mi applies to a 400 mile trip when you might see that on a commute. Might take 20-30 miles for things to settle down. Highest I have seen after it has settled down is 350 wh/mi. Which is essentially 120 wh/mi to “maintain” heat.

350 wh/mi would get you about 171 miles of usable range (80% of the battery capacity).

Another factor is that mine is a P, so it's even a little less efficient than awd. But, the trip I was on was about 500 miles. My car is just woefully inefficient in the cold with the heat on. I think the 20s are a big drain too. I wish Tesla would make the 18" aeros to fit the Performance hubs:-(

Another factor is that mine is a P, so it's even a little less efficient than awd. But, the trip I was on was about 500 miles. My car is just woefully inefficient in the cold with the heat on. I think the 20s are a big drain too. I wish Tesla would make the 18" aeros to fit the Performance hubs:-(
If the hub is the only problem, a little machining would take care of that. Would the 18" wheels clear the performance package brakes?

My conclusion (without having read every post) is that, in general cold natured people should not buy Teslas. If he cranks the heat in the winter, range will be significantly reduced.
People who get cold easily can use Teslas just as well as anyone else. The driver can run the cabin heater at a "normal" level like 65-70F just so the air feels pleasant, but the key is to crank up the seat heaters as needed to maintain core body temperature. At their maximum setting, the seat heaters are downright hot, and they consume very little additional range.

If the hub is the only problem, a little machining would take care of that. Would the 18" wheels clear the performance package brakes?

That's definitely more trouble than it's worth. I'll likely end up buying some T-Sportlines. Apparently they work on the P cars.

People who get cold easily can use Teslas just as well as anyone else. The driver can run the cabin heater at a "normal" level like 65-70F just so the air feels pleasant, but the key is to crank up the seat heaters as needed to maintain core body temperature. At their maximum setting, the seat heaters are downright hot, and they consume very little additional range.

I don't need the heat if it's over 40 degrees outside, but that would never work for my wife. She has the seats on high and the heat on high about 10 months out of the year. My point is that people who expect to be able to go 75 with the heat cranked up in the winter and still get rated range should probably just stick to internal combustion.

I don't need the heat if it's over 40 degrees outside, but that would never work for my wife. She has the seats on high and the heat on high about 10 months out of the year.
Wow, that's downright tropical! Yes, in her case, I can see what you mean. Does she like to heat the house like a sauna as well? I would be sweating like crazy.

My point is that people who expect to be able to go 75 with the heat cranked up in the winter and still get rated range should probably just stick to internal combustion.
I agree that such people will either have to live with reduced range in the winter or stick to ICE for now. This goes to show that there will be a market for EVs with 600+ miles of rated range.

Mine is a P too and it's no less efficient than an AWD.
Only difference it P+ the 20" tires will eat range. Mine is a P-.

Since I also live in the same state, I am wondering where the speed limit is anywhere near 80-85MPH... Not saying he shouldn't regularly be driving at that speed, but yes, saying it, since its an accident waiting to happen. If not otherwise posted, the state speed limit is literally 55MPH. I'd get anxiety too if I were cutting off hundreds of cars in the passing lane for hours at a time going 30 miles over on roads that were initially built 120 years ago. This is a great way to end up at the service center for a new wheel alignment after you total your car and buy a new one. Just saying. Also, looking back at this whole thread the 325WH/MI isn't outrageous if hes slamming his foot on the accelerator and never really making use of regen. If hes got creep on or using it like a ICE car this is not totally outside the realm of possibility. Not only that, if hes got Pilot 4S tires on driving the car around like this under 40F, not only can you cause interior damage to the tires, efficiency goes way down. Similarly with the Pirellis if they're winter and hes driving at 60F. I am on the P3D+ with 20" wheels/rims 6,000+ miles and my lifetime WH is around 300WH/MI. That includes experimenting with the car at high speeds and also "lead foot" for maybe the first 1,000 miles. But I can certainly accomplish trips with less usage. Its true the HVAC is very inefficient but once a stable temperature in the cabin is reached it shouldn't add too much. If you want to turn the interior of the car into a sauna in spring, though, maybe thats an issue. I also agree tire pressure should be whatever is on the door. 40 sounds low. I keep mine around 45 as a general rule, but mileage may vary and safety needs to be a very important factor. If hes worried about safety maybe calm down with the mad max driving style? That is the impression I get. If I need to get somewhere, I take into account what the speed limit is and how long its going to take me to get there using Google Maps + any unforeseen possibilities along the way. I don't try to regularly break the state speed limit at speeds in excess of 20 miles per hour.
I watched on the Tesla app (logged in as him) and he had the cruise set at 71mp and the HVAC was also 71. He was driving from his NY house to his WV house....he said everyone drives 80-85 out in the middle of no where and he was afraid he was going to get rear-ended going so slowly. So it doesn't sound like he was driving like "mad max".

Clearly you didn't read the thread as it said the speed, hvac and that he has 19's (not Summer 20's).

Reactions: mswlogo
I watched on the Tesla app (logged in as him) and he had the cruise set at 71mp and the HVAC was also 71. He was driving from his NY house to his WV house....he said everyone drives 80-85 out in the middle of no where and he was afraid he was going to get rear-ended going so slowly. So it doesn't sound like he was driving like "mad max".

Clearly you didn't read the thread as it said the speed, hvac and that he has 19's (not Summer 20's).
I apologize about that misunderstanding. Fair enough then. Still if he is rapidly accelerating to 80 that would consume far more energy than a gradual acceleration. But you are saying he is pretty much crusiing at 80... I hate to say that with the HVAC on auto at 71... for that amount of time. Yes, that will kill range over time. 'm willing to bet if he made the same trip with no HVAC in the summer he would get much better mileage. Model 3 is in many ways like an ICE sports car when it comes to consumption. But in different ways. The faster you generally cruise at, the worse your WH/MI is going to get. But also the HVAC heater is basically a big toaster in the car. Literally a big contraption that may be the most inefficient power consumption on the vehicle. But also, for newer drivers, range anxiety is a very real and scary thing. For longer trips like this, waiting at the supercharger to get to 90 or 100% can sometimes be redundant. It may sometimes make sense to charge more often with a lower SOC since the supercharging will generally take place at a faster rate. The charge speed starts slowing down big time over 60-70% to protect the battery.

I don't want to flog a dead horse but look at the Ford Mustang. City driving is EPA rated at 21mpg. Real world its probably more like 15-18. Highway speed 31. If you're lucky maybe you'll get 28-30 tops. I'd say you're still getting better "fuel economy" with a Tesla. You are saving a tremendous amount of money doing this trip without paying a huge premium for gas. If he can get his comfort level to normal and range issues figured out (you said before you helped him with some navigation), maybe he will begin to like the car. I certainly hope so for him and I do think its very altruistic and kind of you to help him.

I don't want to flog a dead horse but look at the Ford Mustang. City driving is EPA rated at 21 mpg. Real world its probably
more like 15-18. Highway speed 31. If you're lucky maybe you'll get 28-30 tops. I'd say you're still getting better "fuel economy"
with a Tesla. You are saving a tremendous amount of money doing this trip without paying a huge premium for gas.

If he can get his comfort level to normal and range issues figured out (you said before you helped him with some navigation),
maybe he will begin to like the car. I certainly hope so for him and I do think its very altruistic and kind of you to help him.
I would recommend watching the following video.

Beside cost, it seems that Autopilot was an important factor for making this trip enjoyable!

Benswing Rich - 1000 Miles in a Tesla Model 3 in 1 day - Mar 31, 2019

Fun Stats:
- 1,094 miles = total distance (almost entirely autopilot!)
- Started with temperatures in the 50's from NJ to VA, then 60's from NC to FL.
- Charging times ranged from 13 minutes (min) - 22 minutes (max)
- $0 cost to charge (would cost ~$75 according to Tesla's website.)
- 8 supercharging stops

I would recommend watching the following video.

Beside cost, it seems that Autopilot was an important factor for making this trip enjoyable!

Benswing Rich - 1000 Miles in a Tesla Model 3 in 1 day - Mar 31, 2019

Fun Stats:
- 1,094 miles = total distance (almost entirely autopilot!)
- Started with temperatures in the 50's from NJ to VA, then 60's from NC to FL.
- Charging times ranged from 13 minutes (min) - 22 minutes (max)
- $0 cost to charge (would cost ~$75 according to Tesla's website.)
- 8 supercharging stops

Good Video, right concept of charging over the fastest range, I didn't watch the whole thing, but I don't quite believe the stats.

You're not gonna add 171 miles in 22 minutes.

Even his first stop he stated 254 mph average for the charge session and in his stats said he added 130 miles at that stop.
Well that alone is 30 minutes. I'm sure when he added 171 miles it took a lot longer than 30 minutes.

Maybe he stumbled into some V3 Chargers ;)

He should also explain why it cost him $0 (Free Super Charging for 6 Months I assume).

Can get really, really close to that if you're going about 8% to 65% (which is roughly 170 miles nominal). The 22min is probably over the line, though, unless they're talking "real miles" and driving fairly slow.

I know if you hit things perfect you might. But based on his 254 mph average comment he didn’t come close.

And I’m not sure it’s possible on MR.

And I’m not sure it’s possible on MR.
That seems very unlikely, yes, as it would require a much larger % of the total battery for the same mile range thus require going deeper into tapering zone.

On the "just right" thing, in my limited experience the SC in Eastern US appear to be very well spaced for hitting the "just right" with the LR.