Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Might be seeing the light at the end of tunnel:)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you already had solar, I assume you were pumping the excess kW back onto the grid already. Is that correct? If so, to do that didn't you already need and have PTO?

Correct.. I had PTO for solar and the interconnect, however adding the powerwalls required another submittal for an interconnect agreement. It did NOT trigger moving me from NEM 1.0 to 2.0, nor require me to subscribe to a time of use plan, because I was not adding onto my existing solar (I think up to 10% without a full new interconnect agreement). I also was adding 2 powerwalls. adding 3 would have triggered "something" different for me as far as interconnect agreements go.

I already had PTO for solar, and once the system passed the city inspection (so was "to code" and "safe" from the city perspective) I had no issues just leaving it on and running it until the full PTO came (which was a PTO modification of existing PTO).

Correct.. I had PTO for solar and the interconnect, however adding the powerwalls required another submittal for an interconnect agreement. It did NOT trigger moving me from NEM 1.0 to 2.0, nor require me to subscribe to a time of use plan, because I was not adding onto my existing solar (I think up to 10% without a full new interconnect agreement). I also was adding 2 powerwalls. adding 3 would have triggered "something" different for me as far as interconnect agreements go.

I already had PTO for solar, and once the system passed the city inspection (so was "to code" and "safe" from the city perspective) I had no issues just leaving it on and running it until the full PTO came (which was a PTO modification of existing PTO).

Got it. I guess since you had PTO already the only thing the utility would notice with the addition of PWs was your production back to the grid was lower, and more importantly, your consumption from the grid, and associated bill, were lower.

Well, finally on Thursday, 11 Jun, in the morning about 10:00 or so got a call from a Tesla person that he is 30 minutes out for the inspection exactly 3 weeks after the install and original inspection that was cancelled,
What? Good thing I happened to be home; what I I was out?
The 11 AM appointment was late, at least 30 min if not more. Looked inside the three panels, a few questions. All ok.
But, by the way, since job was over $1k, have to check smoke and CO in house. Need one in every bedroom or room that can be a bedroom like my study, so that is 5 smokes I need and 2 CO detectors. He was very generous about this though by having me send him pictures after the installation. Oh, great, at least not another appointment who knows when.
OK, run down to Home Depot, got all, installed that same afternoon, sent picture to inspector and Tesla person before 4PM. I thought I would at least get a message, got it, all ok. Friday, nothing, no inspection box checked by permit, bummer.
Tonight I check and the inspection box is checked:) Great. A response from inspector or Tesla person that all is good would have been better though.

Will post install pictures here as well, have it in another post. But, I am having it customized; a big surprise coming.

Well, finally on Thursday, 11 Jun, in the morning about 10:00 or so got a call from a Tesla person that he is 30 minutes out for the inspection exactly 3 weeks after the install and original inspection that was cancelled,
What? Good thing I happened to be home; what I I was out?
The 11 AM appointment was late, at least 30 min if not more. Looked inside the three panels, a few questions. All ok.
But, by the way, since job was over $1k, have to check smoke and CO in house. Need one in every bedroom or room that can be a bedroom like my study, so that is 5 smokes I need and 2 CO detectors. He was very generous about this though by having me send him pictures after the installation. Oh, great, at least not another appointment who knows when.
OK, run down to Home Depot, got all, installed that same afternoon, sent picture to inspector and Tesla person before 4PM. I thought I would at least get a message, got it, all ok. Friday, nothing, no inspection box checked by permit, bummer.
Tonight I check and the inspection box is checked:) Great. A response from inspector or Tesla person that all is good would have been better though.

Will post install pictures here as well, have it in another post. But, I am having it customized; a big surprise coming.

Glad it finally passed inspection even if it sounds like it was pretty disorganized. On the smoke/CO detectors, that is something Tesla dropped the ball on.... One of the things our Tesla manager verified during our install was that we had properly-located smoke and CO detectors to pass inspection. We were already compliant (having had to add a CO detector when installing a new furnace a few years back) but Tesla definitely checked. Of course, with the virtual inspection, our inspector never verified since our second, required detector is on the 2nd floor, and nobody went up there.

So when I have my 2 Powerwalls they will require a smoke detector in each bedroom and 2 co detectors.
You would need to check your local codes for that - where we are, I think it is something like there needs to be at least one CO detector in the basement and on each floor with bedrooms, and I think fire detectors were at least one per floor (but not necessarily one per bedroom, or at least the inspector didn't worry about that.) Very recently (and either it hasn't been implemented yet or they didn't check) my understanding is our county has adopted rules that all smoke and CO detectors be the 10-year, sealed battery type (versus the older style replaceable 9-Volt battery that is more common.) But my experience has been that whenever major work requiring an inspection is done, the installers know the code because they don't want to deal with a failed inspection any more than you do.

Our 1992 house in Moco Maryland needed 1 Co detector within 10 feet of each bedroom door if you don't have one in each room. Plus one on other occupied floors. And they "suggest" one near indoor gas appliances.

Then one 10 year Smoke on each floor. We have combo smoke/C02 detectors. The inspector loved those.

But definitely check what your municipality wants.

Reactions: preilly44
Interesting how state and or county varies on this. Built my house 1990-1993, used 1990 code. Smoke on each floor and hallway near laundry and garage. At least here, with a $1K and up modification to house, like the battery pack, ;)
the fire station passed the inspection to city inspectors which is just fine, one less trip and hastle.
Still needed one smoke in each bedroom and study if it legally can be used as bedroom (window egress dimensions), mine does qualify.
CO on each floor, no specifics from inspector where, certainly not within 10 ft of bedrooms.

Interesting how state and or county varies on this. Built my house 1990-1993, used 1990 code. Smoke on each floor and hallway near laundry and garage. At least here, with a $1K and up modification to house, like the battery pack, ;)
the fire station passed the inspection to city inspectors which is just fine, one less trip and hastle.
Still needed one smoke in each bedroom and study if it legally can be used as bedroom (window egress dimensions), mine does qualify.
CO on each floor, no specifics from inspector where, certainly not within 10 ft of bedrooms.

We have been in constant remodel for the last 6 years. And in each phase the city has had to come out and check for smoke and CO detectors. This last inspection we decided were tired of having to chase that chirping noise of dying batteries. So went with Nest Protects. The actually do something useful like speak to you and say they detect smoke or CO, or that you need to replace the unit because the time limit requirements for the State of CA are coming up. Much better than just chirping. The inspector though they were cool and signed off.

How can you have a contract with permit applied for and not have design plans?

It all depends on where you live and what the requirements are. I never had to turn in any plans. The Tesla folk came out and installed my three power walls and the grid connect and switching, and I was in business. I have solar, and it all works nicely with time of use grid. And yet, just down valley from me, they have to jump through all the hoops.