Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Roof cancelled during design phase with no explanation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if it's related to the layoffs or such, but after having an onsite inspection go well, around a week or so later I received a generic cancellation email with no additional information. I reached out by text to the number that had contacted me in the past, but no response.

Has anyone else had their energy order cancelled in the past week or so? Mine happened this past Saturday. I'm in the northeast in case it matters. I'm guessing they either laid off part of the team that was working on it, and want me to re-apply (and perhaps re-price), or they didn't like the amount of shading on my roof and don't want to do it. I wasn't sure I was going to go with a Tesla roof, but wanted to see what the final design and price looked like.

There have been several solar roof cancellations, which could be a number of reasons: no installer for your area, too much re-work for the roof structure/weight distribution. How long was your order in process?

It was only in process about a week or week and a half after the first visit. It was supposed to go to the designer to figure out where things should go. I may re-apply and try to get more info.

It turns out that they seem to have ended their support of direct installs in the area (Boston area, or at least my area of it). Because my project was in progress they simply cancelled it.

When I resubmitted a request for a solar roof estimate, the site mentioned that they only serve our area via certified installers. It will be interested to see which local company was chosen for it. I hope that company hires some of the crew that Tesla probably laid off.

At this point I should probably go with a metal roof and think about panels later, but it would be nice to have it done in one go with the backup power done at the same time.

The same happened to my area, after my install was complete. Mostly because Tesla had such a hard time with my utility, and they (Tesla) spent six months negotiating what equipment they could use (I ended up with the prior gen inverters versus PW+ inverters). Tesla's solar site now lists a contractor delivering in my area, and the price has gone up 50% from what I had paid - that's no exaggeration.

• Informative
Reactions: nicedrum