Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles out of a S90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20170831_072616.jpg

How many do you actually get? Not rated, or what it says you will get, but how many do you actually get out of a 90 or 100% charge?

I have a 16 refreshed, 19'' rims, get about 330 wh/m or less. I'm in AZ and let my a.c. on about 70. Im looking for a comparison. Thanks.
I have been getting about 170 miles if I run it a couple days without charging, getting it from 100% to about 10% - 5%.

There are many factors to consider. The largest is the speed at which you drive. If a significant portion is highway driving, over 65 miles an hour, then you will see a significant decrease in range. The other major factors or temperature and elevation of your trip.

I don’t understand your point. Are you bragging? The battery wasn’t full after the last charge as it shows 50kwh have been used. If you had used an entire 90kwh at that efficiency... 170.3 miles / 50 kWh used * 90 kWh capacity = 306.54 miles which is past the 294 rated range. That’s great!

330Wh/m sounds high. Like you're driving over 75, or lots of stop and go with impressive acceleration.

If you only charge every several days, the miles you lose overnight will accumulate. (Vampire losses.) If you precondition, that will also use range. I'm pretty sure the trip meter won't show the kWh lost in either of those cases.

But for comparison, I also have a refreshed 90D with 19” wheels (not the car in my profile photo). Trip A was a road trip from Southern California to Seattle, and then you can see my lifetime trip which I’ve never reset. I live in a more moderate climate, but my daily driving is harsh on efficiency...either driving on 60MPH roads with regular stoplights, or 80MPH freeway driving.

DEF9E4E5-B1A9-43FA-B704-6949FD440647.jpeg

No, I'm not bragging at all. I can't get more miles for some reason. I typically charge nightly, but for the last year I have been having "issues with my battery. The service center couldn't figure it out and it fell through the cracks. A new person is looking at it now and I'm just trying to see if it's common, ie: I'm expecting to much, or if my range is unusual.

The 50 kw is an issue also. That was all I got after a 100% charge. I do maybe 50% traveling on freeways at 74mph. (9 over) and 50%on surface streets. Im not the jackrabbit starting kind if guy although I do show off once in a while, but rarely.

Mainly I'm trying to see if this is just normal and give up trying to fix something that's not broken, or keep working on it.

Thanks for the input.

Interesting. You should definitely get more range, but you should get more input from Phoenix dwellers....perhaps it’s the cabin overheat protection cooling the car all day if you park in the sun? Maybe that energy use doesn’t get reported? You could try turning that feature off for a few days.

IMG_0056.JPG
I haven't gone as far since my last charge, but since Thursday night here are my numbers. No AC useage here, but it's been chilly so I've used cabin, steering wheel, and seat heat in this run. My last charge was to 80%, so that would project a capacity of 60-some kWh total which is low and not accounting for a couple nights of vampire losses, but still higher capacity than what you're seeing. Your numbers do seem off compared to my experience, but where I live I don't have as much AC use as you would. That said, I think heat draws more power than AC so it should kind of work out similarly.

I have been getting about 170 miles if I run it a couple days without charging, getting it from 100% to about 10% - 5%.

Hi. You can't measure your range like this because any consumption that happens while the car is not moving won't be counted by the trip meters. For example, if vampire drain is 4 kWh per day, in two days you would have 8 kWh consumption not counted by trip meters. What you need to do is, charge to 100%, drive and take a photo of the trip meters at the end of the trip. It doesn't have to be 5-10% left. It can be 70% left. However, you must not leave the car parked before you take the photo of the trip meter.

By the way, a new 90 kWh pack has 81,800 Wh usable capacity. At 26,000 miles, Tesla batteries have 95.8% capacity left. See this graph. That means 81,800 Wh*0.958= 78,364 Wh usable battery capacity at your mileage. You can calculate your range using this number and your Wh/mi number. For example, if your efficiency is 335 Wh/mi these days, then your range should be 78,364Wh / 335Wh/mi= 233.9 miles assuming you have 95.8% capacity left like an average Tesla at this mileage.

You said you wanted data about other 90Ds. You can open this page and look at row 89 where it says Model S 90D. It shows that the average energy consumption of the 90D is 338.2 Wh/mi based on data submitted for 24 different 90D cars. Therefore on average, the real world range of the 90D when new would be 81800Wh/338.2= 241.9 miles which is 82% of the 295 mi EPA rated range these cars display when new.

By the way, if you want to know how your car compares to other Tesla's at this mileage, I recommend entering your data to that survey as well. You need to know your rated range at 100% charge. You can open the USA tab here and enter your data to the next available row. Then go to the Charts tab and select your username. No personal information is required. In addition, after you have done that, you can submit optional trip-based data in columns AC-AF. If you do that, you will get a second battery percentage calculation. The first method uses EPA rated range, the other method uses trip data.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
Hi. You can't measure your range like this because any consumption that happens while the car is not moving won't be counted by the trip meters. For example, if vampire drain is 4 kWh per day, in two days you would have 8 kWh consumption not counted by trip meters. What you need to do is, charge to 100%, drive and take a photo of the trip meters at the end of the trip. It doesn't have to be 5-10% left. It can be 70% left. However, you must not leave the car parked before you take the photo of the trip meter.

By the way, a new 90 kWh pack has 81,800 Wh usable capacity. At 26,000 miles, Tesla batteries have 95.3% capacity left. That means 81,800 Wh*0.953= 77,955 Wh capacity at your mileage. You can calculate your range using this number your Wh/mi number. For example, if your efficiency is 335 Wh/mi these days, then your range should be 77,955Wh / 335Wh/mi= 232.7 miles assuming you have 95.3% capacity left like an average Tesla at this mileage.

You said you wanted data about other 90D. You can open this page and look at row 89 where it says Model S 90D. It shows that the average energy consumption of the 90D is 338.2 Wh/mi based on data submitted for 24 different 90D cars. Therefore on average, the real world range of the 90D when new would be 81800Wh/338.2= 241.9 miles which is 82% of the 295 mi EPA rated range these cars display when new.
Could you provide a source for 81800Wh? That seems like a lot less than I’d expect for a battery advertised as 90kwh.

Hi, @chipmunk. The 81.8 kWh is based on wk057's research here. Numbers for the 100 kWh pack can be found here.

The 90 kWh should have been advertised as 85 but the name was already taken because they had a pack called 85 kWh that should have been advertised as 80 kWh. Therefore this problem goes all the way back to mid-2012 when they decided to advertise 40, 60 and 85 kWh pack sizes to encourage more sales of the largest pack. There is a discussion topic about the 85 kWh pack by wk057 here: Tesla's 85 kWh rating needs an asterisk (up to 81 kWh, with up to ~77 kWh usable)

This problem is similar to Tesla advertising 1.0s worse 0-60 times for the S85D to encourage more sales of the P85D. Check out that example here. However, Tesla seems to be trying to reduce the overly optimistic advertising. They have used the correct kWh numbers for the 75 and 100 kWh packs.

Last edited:
Hi, @chipmunk. The 81.8 kWh is based on wk057's research here. Numbers for the 100 kWh pack can be found here.

The 90 kWh should have been advertised as 85 but the name was already taken because they had a pack called 85 kWh that should have been advertised as 80 kWh. Therefore this problem goes all the way to mid-2012 when they decided to advertise 40, 60 and 85 kWh pack sizes to encourage more sales of the largest pack. There is a discussion topic about the 85 kWh pack by wk057 here: Tesla's 85 kWh rating needs an asterisk (up to 81 kWh, with up to ~77 kWh usable)

This problem is similar to Tesla advertising 1.0s worse 0-60 times for the S85D to encourage more sales of the P85D. Check out that example here. However, Tesla seems to be trying to reduce the overly optimistic advertising. They have used the correct kWh numbers for the 75 and 100 kWh packs.
Thanks. That explains the surprisingly large jump in range from 90D to 100D.