Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minimizing 0-60 times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering how people are getting their best 0-60 times. Traction control on/off? Pressing both pedals prior to launch, range charge vs normal. Etc.
TC on. The wheels will spin even if you try to "feather" the throttle and launching off of sticky track. The Model S won't let you press both pedals either. It is better to have creep mode off so you can just break the beams and wait for the tree with no foot on the break pedal. Then just mash the go pedal on green!

Why would there be a change?

Better traction management?

It seems like traction is the weak point. It is cold here, not sure how much better it does with hot roads and tires. So far for the first 1-2 seconds for me appears it's managing traction. I haven't gone to a track, just starting from a dead stop getting on the highway. I was wondering if you would get better times with slicks and if anyone has tried it.

I had light aftermarket wheels on the car for a couple of days. They were 10 lbs less per wheel than stock 19s. The car felt snappier. It may have just been subjective. Does anyone else have documented experience with light wheels?
I ultimately made the shop take them back because they were 19 X 9 not the 19 X 8s I had ordered. The tire beads were spread and the wheels stuck out and splashed more on the car. The mounting flange circle which mates against the disc brake was also about 2 inches smaller than stock and the lug nut contact cone was much smaller than stock. They seemed weak in the center spider area.

I have lightweight wheels on my S, 10lbs lighter than the stock 19's as well. Doesn't seem to make much difference in 1/4 mile times FWIW. My best time when I went was 12.417, there's a guy in Florida with the stock 21's that ran 12.37 I believe...

I had light aftermarket wheels on the car for a couple of days. They were 10 lbs less per wheel than stock 19s. The car felt snappier. It may have just been subjective. Does anyone else have documented experience with light wheels?
I ultimately made the shop take them back because they were 19 X 9 not the 19 X 8s I had ordered. The tire beads were spread and the wheels stuck out and splashed more on the car. The mounting flange circle which mates against the disc brake was also about 2 inches smaller than stock and the lug nut contact cone was much smaller than stock. They seemed weak in the center spider area.

TC on. Highest pack charge possible. Minimize weight in the car - kick out the passenger for sure. Floor it and hold on.

Last summer I went to a drag strip with the Model S, and did a bunch of runs. Every successive time I did it I was 0.02 seconds or so slower, which adds up after a bunch of runs. The charge level definitely matters.

Rumors of throttle mapping changes in 5.8 led me to ask this question. I wondered if anyone had actual data to support or refute the qualitative assessments made earlier.

As far as I've heard (not on 5.8), 0 and 100% are the same. the only difference is how far down the accelerator pedal is pressed to get 25%, 50%, 75%. So that wouldn't affect 0-60 times. There are other things that could affect it (not saying there are, just that there could be) but not throttle mapping.

I ran 12.37 and got multiple 0-60 times in 3.9 seconds on the street. Traction control off, stomp and go. You can preload a bit by hold down both pedals, but doesn't seem to matter much. The car is without question faster with a higher charge level, I've tested this.

I do wonder if the car is faster with that fuse pulled that allows the car to do burnouts....

I ran 12.37 and got multiple 0-60 times in 3.9 seconds on the street. Traction control off, stomp and go. You can preload a bit by hold down both pedals, but doesn't seem to matter much. The car is without question faster with a higher charge level, I've tested this.

I do wonder if the car is faster with that fuse pulled that allows the car to do burnouts....

So running with traction control off doesn't burn off the tires? I haven't turned it off at all yet, with winter, even when the roads are dry there is salt and gravel on them. I'd rather test the TC off with better road conditions.

I had a ranger tell me yesterday that many fender benders in the Model S happen when the traction control is off. Unless you've turned it off on a powerful RWD car before don't turn it off on the MS on the street! :)

So running with traction control off doesn't burn off the tires? I haven't turned it off at all yet, with winter, even when the roads are dry there is salt and gravel on them. I'd rather test the TC off with better road conditions.

TC off and 265+ on the rear. warm tires. The best times under 4s I have read about is TC off.

TC off and M-mode in my 1M was wonderful. Crazy little bulldog of a car. Will bite you hard if you don't know what you are doing. Burning rubbers, powersliding etc was wonderful in that car. Not as quick in a straight line as a model S but probably one of the funniest cars on the planet to drive...