Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minimizing Sales Taxes - Trade in, Courtesy Trade in, or Qualify for Colorado Credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at options for minimizing sales tax (~$8k is a big fee for changing cars). I have a few ideas that I was looking for feedback on:

1) I've heard there trade-in program is provides very low offers, and also I'm not sure if it qualifies for a trade-in credit. Anyone know if it does? I tried calling Tesla and didn't get an answer. I can try again, but I haven't had much luck with them.

2) Does Tesla do courtesy trades, where I'd trade my car into a dealer, and Tesla would sell it to the dealer who would sell it to me? I have heard they don't from the forums, although a Telsa sales rep said they could "probably" do this (my impression was that he didn't look into the actual answer).

3) I'm considering moving to Colorado or spending some moderate amount of time there (not just for tax reasons, although those are nice), or even living as a bit of a nomad since my work is all done remotely. Colorado requires cars to be registered within 90 days. It seems like I could buy a tesla there and spend some time there, and qualify for the credit, although I'm not sure what the restrictions are on this. My understanding is that if I had the intention of keeping the car there, or I was keeping it there for X (90?) days, I would qualify, but I don't actually need to keep the car there forever. I searched online and couldn't find anything. I tried calling around in Colorado's tax offices, but couldn't reach a person.

Thanks in advance for any help.