Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor annoyance: can't shift to drive without getting beeped at.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else get this? I get into the car, put on my steabelt, press the brake pedal, and try to shift into "drive" mode. Every time, without fail, I get beeped at and need to do it at least one more time. I have to wait like a full 5 seconds for it to not shout at me, and even then, sometimes it'll still not let me shift.

I'm just used to driving a manual car I guess, where you turn on the car and can immediately go. It just seems like a strange limitation. Nothing mechanical needs to slide into place or anything. The parking break should release instantly.

Not really a knock on the car, just strangely irritating to me. Am I the only one?

Yes, happens to me a lot as well. It is annoying and I believe it has to do with the seat adjusting to driver’s profile before the stalk allows you to shift into Drive.

I am used to Clutch, Start engine(left hand ignition in a P-car), Shift into gear and Go all in one fluid motion. In the MY, I have to press brake, wait.... Shift into drive and Go. The wait part really screws up my Kata.

Reactions: noshadow
Pressing the brake turns on the car. It takes a while to return to normal operation after going to a low power mode while parked. You can watch the idiot lights all come on and then "slowly" go out. At some point, after the idiot lights come on but before they are all out, you should be able to successfully shift into drive or reverse.

So press the brake earlier in your entry process, watch the lights, and experiment with it a little to figure out the earliest allowed shift time.

I have is set to PIN to drive so I get the same lag- but it is that the car is not 'awake enough' to respond to me tapping on the screen, and it sometime takes a up to 30 seconds or so for it to wake up. Tapping brake pedal early, THEN putting your belt on and getting situated will probably take care of the problem.

Reactions: Picasso