Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor scuff damage on bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I’m a fairly new Tesla owner having only received my car last week and I’m looking to get some advice from the community.

As I drove into a car park today I saw the autopark feature come up on my screen. So I decided to give it a try for the first time ever. As the car reversed into the parking spot everything seemed like it was going ok up until the car had collided with a concrete pole.

It was only a minor scrape which mainly affected the rear bumper, the eyebrow fender and just a tiny chip in the rear quarter panel. From what I can see there doesn’t appear to be any dents on any panels.

Being a bit devastated by this I’m looking to get it repaired but I’m not sure what it will end up costing. At this point I’m not sure whether it’s worth putting in a claim through insurance or if it will cost less than the excess to repair.

I’ve raised a service centre request with Tesla and I’m booked in for next week but I’m not sure what they can do or how much it will end up costing?

Will they be able to repair the paint damage at the service centre or would they need to replace the bumper and eyebrow fender?

Is it worthwhile putting in a claim to insurance or will the cost to fix be less then the excess ($1000).

Attachments

• IMG_2753.jpeg
    IMG_2753.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 24
It's a plastic bumper. Any reputable shop can fix it. Does NOT require Tesla involvement.

Here in the states, I would recommend a Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) shop. My opinion? Less than $150 repair.

It's a plastic bumper. Any reputable shop can fix it. Does NOT require Tesla involvement.

Here in the states, I would recommend a Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) shop. My opinion? Less than $150 repair.

The thing is, some touch up paint that will hide the damage from 10 feet away would cost like $150. But for proper look that looks like nothing ever happened you have repaint the entire panel so that it matches panels around it, in some instances its easier to replace the whole plastic piece completely as cost can be about the same.

Its actually worse when plastic is damaged because its deformed/burred. With metal you can in a lot of cases touch up and buff to a perfect finish. Cant buff plastic.