TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Minor Summon Collision

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by DDarrow, Jan 21, 2016.

1. DDarrow

DDarrow Member

#1 DDarrow, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    So I just let my car park itself in my garage the exact same way I have over the last week+, but this time it did not detect a small refrigerator that I have stored in the garage, and it ran into it. Not hard mind you, and I don't think I can see any marks or scratches, but really odd that the sonar did not seem to detect it. I have not changed any settings in the UI, and nothing has been moved in the garage, so not really sure what caused the hiccup. Guess I'll just have to keep a closer eye on it.

Attached Files:

2. Owner

Owner Active Member

odd as that is clearly high enough and large enough.

maybe a sign to clean the garage...:tongue:... sorry just like an uber clean garage.

3. 7racer

7racer Member

I've noticed that with the new update, auto park doesn't seem to steer the car as much to avoid obstacles. I was in a narrow space and had the car pull out for me from a parking spot like a corner of the L. The cars on the other side of the L we're perpendicular with a particularly large truck sticking out. I thought the car would swerve away from the truck, but it kept backing out finally shutting it self down when it was pasta the truck but only a 2 inch gap from the side of the car to the trunks bumper....strange

4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Interesting, I was manually backing into our garage and noticed that the distance measurement wasn't reading the space immediately behind the car until after I'd stopped it.

I'm going to clean off the sensors, they aren't particularly dirty, but I don't know what else it might be.

5. DougH

DougH Active Member

I would assume that you do have the "detect small objects" box checked?

6. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Just a point of clarification: you are referring to Auto-SUMMON, not Auto-PARK. Unless your garage has two cars separated by a place you park your Model S. :)

You may wish to update the title of the thread to reflect this. There are trolls looking for problems with any of the Autopilot functions that would trot this out, at least as titled.

7. DDarrow

DDarrow Member

Noted, and changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't say I've seen that option in the current software.

8. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

I think you're thinking of "allow narrow spaces."

9. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Member

Sorry about the hiccup -- but I really need to ask how someone with an EV has at least 6 gas cans in his garage. You can't store electrons in those things.

10. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

to my knowledge, there's no AUTOPARK in your garage, as of yet. That would be SUMMON (Accio, as my HP gen calls it) which is supposed to stop when you tell it to. .

11. DDarrow

DDarrow Member

As mentioned above it was indeed "summon" parking the car. It is supposed to stop the preset distance from objects, yet for some unknown reason, it did not stop this time until it came in contact with the object.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL. Lots of other toys and tools. Diesel cans won't go away until Tesla builds me a large ZTR mower that can mow my 3 acre lawn on a single charge. :biggrin:

12. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Autonomously. :)

13. jsollender

jsollender Member

Someone on the FB Model X page said he got his X to autopark in reverse and perpendicular. I know this is not yet part of summon (or antisummon as I call the go park yourself feature) yet. I would love it if someone could shoot a video of perpendicular reverse park into a single car garage spot, either for an S, or preferably an X) shot from outside showing how the car handles a relatively tight turn into a garage on the side of a house with fixed obstacles on the far side of the driveway. Pretty please?

14. DDarrow

DDarrow Member

YES! Please God YES! lol

15. xborg

xborg Member

This is a sharp corner and looks like it is in the middle of two sensors. Sensor might not be sensitive enough to sense that.