Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mis-matched tire sizes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

New here. I have a Model X.

Back in December I paid for a set of new tires from the service center and had them installed there. Immediately after I picked the car up and got up to speed (40mph+), the car did not feel right. Very shaky and "off". I pulled over and alerted the SC right away via the app. I had a catastrophic blow out a few miles later down the highway. Car was towed back to service. I looked at the tire, the tow guy looked at the tire, no signs of hitting anything, nothing that I could see I ran over on otherwise smooth highway pavement. Tire just went from 44psi to 0 instantly. I asked them to dismount the tire and inspect the wheel for damage as I rode a good 1-2 miles before I could safely pull over with my baby in tow.

Tesla SC first said I must have hit something. After I reminded them that I had texted them several times telling them the install did not feel correctly immediately after pickup, they gave me a loaner wheel/tire and told me they would 'need to order parts'. They then offered to replace the tire as it was 'soon after install' and could be taken for a 'road hazard claim'. I said fine, whatever.

The loaner wheel/tire was a random wheel with mismatched tire: 245/45 vs 275/45 20

I reached out three more times to schedule an appointment to get my wheel back. First appointment was cancelled, no explanation. Second was cancelled and I was told the part is on order. Third was cancelled as they weren't sure why I was scheduling an appointment in the first place.

Finally I make another appointment for yesterday; I texted them specifically what happened (again) and told them I am dropping the car off to them (the charge port needed to be looked at as well). I texted at arrival to confirm that they have my wheel and are replacing the tire. Service Advisor/Manager calls me. Asks why would they pay to replace a tire. For the 5th time, I explain the entire sequence of events and which point he tells me that may be a problem - we don't know where your wheel is.

He finally agrees to take fix the wheel and find a solution. I picked up the car later that day with what may or may not be my wheel with a new tire. And needless to say, they scratched the *sugar* out of the entire quarter panel down and back hatch (can't buff out) in the process. The steering wheel still vibrates at speeds > 60.

Two questions: 1) Can driving on mismatched tires for 4-5 months cause problems with the rear motor down the road? If yes, why and what does one do about it? 2) Is it safe to use the recaptured wheel and new tire given that I drove on a complete flat for 1-2miles.

If no, thanks for listening to my saga with the service center.

Signed,
A concerned Mom

...1) Can driving on mismatched tires for 4-5 months cause problems with the rear motor down the road?...
I am not a mechanic so I am not sure. Logically, you need to have matched tires for each axle. You can drive mixed and match but the driving dynamic might be different, and the wearing pattern might be different...

The crookedness might be stressful for your motor, but I am not sure.

If yes, why and what does one do about it?...
If the experts think it's a bad idea to drive crooked tires for months, then I would get a local tire shop to fix the problem if Tesla can't.
2) Is it safe to use the recaptured wheel and new tire given that I drove on a complete flat for 1-2miles.
That depends on the inspection. If the wheel is not damaged, I don't see any problem with it.
If no, thanks for listening to my saga with the service center.
Sorry for your experience. Sounds very terrible!

Reactions: croman
IMG_1780.jpeg

I always take pictures at the time of dropoff whenever my car is changing custody for whatever reason. It's also the same reason I won't allow my car to be valeted unless I'm with it the entire time.

I'd reach out to your insurance company at this point and file a comprehensive. With pictures before, they should seek recovery from Tesla for the body damage.

• Helpful
Reactions: aesculus
I always take pictures at the time of dropoff whenever my car is changing custody for whatever reason.
For the first few years way back when, my SC would always go over the car at check-in and take detailed pictures. And then give you a complete document of any marks, dents or otherwise noted that you would sign before turning the car over. Those days are gone for sure.

Like you said you probably should do this in reverse and have Telsa sign a document that they acknowledge the condition of the car in each area before you hand them the fob. Good luck with trying to get them to do that.

For the first few years way back when, my SC would always go over the car at check-in and take detailed pictures. And then give you a complete document of any marks, dents or otherwise noted that you would sign before turning the car over. Those days are gone for sure.

Like you said you probably should do this in reverse and have Telsa sign a document that they acknowledge the condition of the car in each area before you hand them the fob. Good luck with trying to get them to do that.

Less time to take photos.