Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Misaligned roof window at delivery. SC trying to tell me warranty will shorten if replaced.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The robot only does what you tell it to and may have a limited number of sensors
and measurement points. I wonder if they have Quality Control Robots .
And also who are there masters.
I have worked in the Semi Conductor industry and can remember the end of the
month quarter and the pressure it puts on some people . A lot of assumptions
can be made on Incoming Part quality and specs. But unless there are checks
bad stuff can get through.

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing glass could be the "wrong size", unless they're using different sized glass (e.g. different supplies or "give us all the windshields between X and Y width).

This would still be a manufacturing defect for Tesla though... the glass should be centered. Not a fixed distance from the left edge and with variable width glass.

We could measure our roof glass and see. Mine is very well centered. I have a hard time understanding how with robots assembling these, they could have this much variation in quality.
This is where "within spec" comes into the discussion. It's not a defect even if the roof glass gap is not symmetrical, as long as it meets their other specifications. I believe the person who initially said the roof glass gap being an issue with roof rack install has since posted an update that actually a service manager with more experience was able to easily install the clips regardless of the gap being not symmetrical.

The same thing applies to panel gaps (where it's possible for it not to be symmetrical, but still be within the allowed specs).

• Disagree
Reactions: Ami-Sven
Yeah the Service Manager was able to mount it and I am grateful for that.
But from the long term standpoint if the rack J hook clip is riding next to the glass
eventually the glass could experience some shock loads that will break it. Now
I am looking at every Y I see and not all of them are out this much.

Yeah the Service Manager was able to mount it and I am grateful for that.
But from the long term standpoint if the rack J hook clip is riding next to the glass
eventually the glass could experience some shock loads that will break it. Now
I am looking at every Y I see and not all of them are out this much.
When installed properly, rack should put zero stress on the glass as it won't be touching it. The rack should be fully relying on the clip which puts stress on the metal bracket hidden under the glass (which is why aligning with the arrows is so important). I have read that the rack shouldn't even be touching the glass at all, that at least a piece of paper should be able to slip between the glass and the rubber feet of the rack. The feet are only there to allow for some flexing under load, it's not designed to be an actual load point.

If you had the rack installed by Tesla, any breakage from improper install should be covered by Tesla, although you do have to check on it before warranty ends in case any damage goes unnoticed until after warranty expires.

We have a similar issue with our 2023 MYLR, which is in the Tesla SC right now for misaligned glass and some other, minor, issues. We had believed that the roof glass was misaligned, but when their glass tech looked the car over, they decided the windshield had been installed incorrectly and that it was crooked and out of spec. So now, less than a month after buying the car, we get a new windshield. So, I'm a little torn - happy to have the glass lined up properly, but sad to have lost our "investment" in having ceramic tint applied to that out-of-spec windshield. Pretty sure we're done tinting windshields! We checked with our tint shop and they offered a small discount, but not enough to encourage us to tint that glass again. Oh, and the Tesla SC offered no remarks about this repair affecting the warranty. They were very cool about it, and took care of the issue without any fuss at all - no arguments, no equivocating. They just replaced it and moved on to the next warranty item.

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpeg
    IMG_1277.jpeg
    543.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1279.jpeg
    IMG_1279.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 28