Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mismatch Paint!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so sad. I'm coming up to my last day of the return period and I'm leaning on returning the car tomorrow.

But I'm so bummed that the paint on my rear passenger door is a completely different shade of color as the rest of the car. I thought it was just lighting the first time I saw it. But after looking at it in various different lighting scenarios. It's true. So disappointed.

Anyone else have this issue? Would re-painting really fix the issue?

Overall (love the car, hard for me to spend this kind of money with this kind of quality issues):
Design and use of space in the car- excellent
Range- plenty (for my usage).
Acceleration (acceptable with long range model, preferred the performance, but couldn't justify paying $10K more for a harsher ride and all the quality issues).
Drive- fun. love how it's nimble yet stable

Would I recommend it to someone else? Yes. But maybe later or take your chances and maybe you get one that is manufactured with less defects.

Other issues I was going to over look:
Misaligned panels (driver door just doesn't line up)- fixable with service visit

Panel gaps and misaligned hood- fixable with service visit

Protrusion/Dimple in hood- was just gonna over look or ask them to fix

Dirty Interior head liner- hopefully something easy to clean

Damage on edge on center console pieces- figured I was gonna wrap it anyways

Attachments

• 61844407094__4A131064-A3EE-456F-B41A-4ACC89253F9C.JPG
    61844407094__4A131064-A3EE-456F-B41A-4ACC89253F9C.JPG
    568.9 KB · Views: 1,523
Lots of people who ordered pearl white have reported that issue.

Tesla isn’t going to fix it for you and it’s going to be very expensive for a paint shop to match.

If you’re within your 7 day return period you should take it back.

Reactions: BlindPass
I'm so sad. I'm coming up to my last day of the return period and I'm leaning on returning the car tomorrow.

But I'm so bummed that the paint on my rear passenger door is a completely different shade of color as the rest of the car. I thought it was just lighting the first time I saw it. But after looking at it in various different lighting scenarios. It's true. So disappointed.

Anyone else have this issue? Would re-painting really fix the issue?

Overall (love the car, hard for me to spend this kind of money with this kind of quality issues):
Design and use of space in the car- excellent
Range- plenty (for my usage).
Acceleration (acceptable with long range model, preferred the performance, but couldn't justify paying $10K more for a harsher ride and all the quality issues).
Drive- fun. love how it's nimble yet stable

Would I recommend it to someone else? Yes. But maybe later or take your chances and maybe you get one that is manufactured with less defects.

Other issues I was going to over look:
Misaligned panels (driver door just doesn't line up)- fixable with service visit

Panel gaps and misaligned hood- fixable with service visit

Protrusion/Dimple in hood- was just gonna over look or ask them to fix

Dirty Interior head liner- hopefully something easy to clean

Damage on edge on center console pieces- figured I was gonna wrap it anyways

I can tell, for what you paid, return it ASAP.

Fred

Got the same mismatch issue on my pearl white Model Y. Picked up the car on June 21st, but didn’t notice the issue right away and didn’t contact Tesla until July. They sent me to an authorized body shop. Repainting will be a big deal since lots of body parts affected. In a quandary as to what to do. Ideas?
4766F127-97A9-4F1E-98DD-C58DDD1BE0FC.jpeg

Attachments

• AF77032E-F966-4BD0-9B70-66CE0DA2F067.jpeg
    AF77032E-F966-4BD0-9B70-66CE0DA2F067.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 306
  • CFD2A1EB-7BAD-4168-B27B-54730212B0C3.jpeg
    CFD2A1EB-7BAD-4168-B27B-54730212B0C3.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 284
I have the same issue with mine. Wrapped the car in Xpel Stealth and it's still noticeable. It's because the bumpers have flex additive and they haven't spent a lot of time dialing in the color difference. Doors are mismatched because they are painted off the car vertically which with pearl pants is a no no. They may have fixed things but doesn't look like it. I decided to live with it as most non-forum members can't tell. My decision was based on "what other car would I get?" I'm still happy with the decision 2 months later.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Got the same mismatch issue on my pearl white Model Y. Picked up the car on June 21st, but didn’t notice the issue right away and didn’t contact Tesla until July. They sent me to an authorized body shop. Repainting will be a big deal since lots of body parts affected. In a quandary as to what to do. Ideas?View attachment 578827

If Tesla is offering to have it repainted, then have then repaint it, and as much of the car as possible. The doors and bumpers are mismatched, so to get a proper looking new car the body shop will blend the new paint into the fenders for a seamless look.

as it sits now, your car looks like it was in an accident and you either got doors from a scrap yard or the body shop you used did a $300 dollar job and will be going out of business soon because they don't know how to properly paint match a car.

I ordered white and have indefinitely put my order on hold now because Tesla can't figure out how to paint the white MYs. Too many have mismatched doors (some cars much worse than others) and/or they have splotchy paint on the doors (thin spots that show the e-coat/primer underneath).

And for those who think the only people who will notice mismatched doors are on this forum, think again. The mismatched white MYs stand out like a sore thumb regardless if someone knows to look for it or not. I've seen plenty of other cars repaired after an accident that have mismatched paint because of poor quality from the body shop, and that's what the poorly painted MYs look like. It's very obvious.

Reactions: Brown1428
Like others have said, it's an issue with the pearl white. Even several body shops have issues blending and matching the three stage colors such as pearl white. Like @raggedy said, if Tesla is offering to repaint, then take them up on the offer. Whoever repaints it is going to have to have to do a bit more work than just shooting that one panel. I'm not sure if you have the car still @Mtech8 but if you still do and are getting it repainted, it's probably going to wind up at our shop if you went through Costa Mesa service center. If that's the case, let me know and we'll be sure to take care of your car.

Reactions: raggedy